Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have not yet read the rules to either. I played Macao once, but it was a couple of years ago. Never played Burgundy.

Which one is better to play 2-player with my gaming honeypie after the kid has gone to bed if we're learning the game right out of the rulebook with little preparation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Burgundy yet (it's still shrinkwrapped), but I've read the rulebook online. It's much better written than the one for Macao, and I could easily imagine it being easier to teach.

Macao is very fun, though. And both games are highly rated for two player.

Enjoy your game date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion Macao is the better game, but in your particular circumstance (2-player), I prefer Castles of Burgundy. Macao is probably best with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was OK with Macao, but she really liked Burgundy. I agree Burgundy is probably the better 2-player choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give another vote to Burgundy, much easier to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both but agree that Castles of Burgundy is the better 2-player game.

My wife agrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dr Mage wrote:
I enjoy both but agree that Castles of Burgundy is the better 2-player game.

My wife agrees.

I vote for Burgundy as well. Macao has a neat mechanic, but is significantly more opaque than Castles of Burgundy which is clearer from a rules perspective from the get go and is more similar to other things he or she might have played from a strategy perspective. Macao is also only playable if you download the posted card clarifications as in Crane, Speculator, Archive, Cooperage, Herald, Carpenter, Healer, and Accountant cards.

I do not think either game is at its best with 2 players. But they're both fine games and are worth including in your collection. Do not take from my comment that either is a disaster for this because neither is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, and Castles of Burgundy would be my choice. Macao has some good things about it, but I found the threat of having too many cards stressful, and I just found Castles of Burgundy more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for all the feedback, folks. As usual, the BGG hive mind proves very helpful.

Tonight we'll give Castles of Burgundy a whirl. I'm hopeful she's gonna love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting timing. I just played Castle of Burgundy for the first time on Wed night....with my 14-year-old son.

I would strongly recommend watching Ryan Metzler's video review with your wife and then play the game....it's worth the 12 minutes that you'll invest. Here's a link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/14818/the-castles-of-burg...

We referred to the rules a few times. The rules summary printed on each player board is pretty good, but we didn't even realize it was there until 3/4 of the way through the game (ooops )....I kept referring to the rule book instead.

I've never played Macao, so I can't compare the two. But Castles was fun and easy. You just do 2 actions per turn (one for each die you roll) so it moves fairly quickly....even with 2 noobs playing. The game is 25 moves long. 5 Phases of 5 rounds each. It's mainly tacical decisions based on what tiles are available on which spaces.

One of us opened a lead early by filling a 5-tile pasture will all pigs. That lead was never eliminated....final score was around 180 to 140 or somewhere in that range.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ruley
Uganda
Kabale
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got Burgundy this week and I played with my wife twice this week. She wasn't too thrilled that I got another game, but she loves Agricola so I knew it would work for us. She whined about how she didn't know what she was doing the whole first game, but as soon as we finished, she immediately wanted to play another game. That has never happened before, with any game! We played again the next day and the same thing happened. After four plays, we have no problem playing quickly and efficiently. It took as more plays than that to get past the family game of Agricola. We like Agricola a lot, but for me, Burgundy is the game that I really wanted Agricola to be. I like them both, but Agricola become frustrating because you normally can't do what you want to while I felt with Burgundy that I always had good options. Hope you both enjoy as much as we already have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgundy.

But just be careful with the "round squares" in the rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Back with a follow up. Sadly, by the time the kid finally (finally!!) went to sleep, my sweetie and I were both too drained to play a game. So we got drunk instead. Good times!

Sunday night I pulled out Burgundy and had a solo run-through. Yeah, this one's going to be a lot of fun. Hopeful that we can get it tabled this week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.