Subject: Is this game kinda pricey..or is it just me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is this game kinda pricey..or is it just me?

50 to 60 bucks for a card game?

I would so get this game but the price keeps giving me pause.

Don't hate me b/c I'm (beautiful and) broke....

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Poulin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just Bought this game....and if you compare it to other games in the Genre...then the price does not seem to me to be over what is the norm at this point.

Have you seen the watchitplayed videos on this game they are what sold me.

And i have to say this game is an absolute blast to play.
do not deprive yourself of such fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the reliable reviews so far, it's probably worth the price. If you're in the market for a fun, new deck builder at half the price check out Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series. We've been having a great time with it now for weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also happens to be the DBG game with the most cards in its first set. After I checked the price per card, it was actually cheaper than Ascension...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmite wrote:
Based on the reliable reviews so far, it's probably worth the price. If you're in the market for a fun, new deck builder at half the price check out Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series. We've been having a great time with it now for weeks.

Very fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Its a good game, but yea it's overpriced. It only has 60 more cards than several other dbg base games and is 10-20 bucks more, and other games instead come with plastic counters also in some cases. Course they got a license fee and such to account for as an extra cost to make the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Don't think about components, think about amount of time you're going to get out of it. That'll be closely linked to playtesting time and time spent designing the gameplay, which are not exactly easy or free.

Think about how many different possible games there are. Not every one needs to be tested, but enough to see that there aren't any silly imbalances that don't exist...

4 different masterminds, X schemes (I think it's 5?), 15 different heroes, several villain groups... That's a lot of permutations.

In reality, you pay for gameplay, not quantity of components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wookie1 wrote:
Is this game kinda pricey..or is it just me?

50 to 60 bucks for a card game?

I would so get this game but the price keeps giving me pause.

Don't hate me b/c I'm (beautiful and) broke....

ninja

No need for hating, this is BGG -we're all family here!

But seriously, I completely understand where ur coming from. Sometimes the bills just keep adding up and sometimes, just the thought of spending $50 on a game can make you think twice before purchasing.

So in response to ur question, is Legendary overpriced?

-Simply put...? NO, because Legendary is a magnificent game through and through. The rules are incredibly easy to grasp, the art is fantastic, and the replay value is just OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Just to understand, it's not even 2 weeks since I got my copy and it's already hit the table at least 30 times! And believe it or not; my wifey (who wouldn't even think of playing a board game unless I promised to buy her a car) loves it too.

And the best part; Legendary offers so much "bang for your buck" that you don't have to buy another core set (ala FF) to fully enjoy the game.

Trust me Rob -Legendary's a definite MUST-BUY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think it's worth mentioning that this comes with an actual board - which most deckbuilders do not. I'm sure it's not that cheap to print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

That price you're looking at is the entry fee. More purchases to come, because when publishers call a game "deck builder" they aren't talking about what happens on the table, they're talking about what happens in the store. Expansions will be available soon.

To answer you question, yes, that's a lot of money for a deck of cards. I appreciate R&D costs money but so do components.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I compare the price of a game to how much enjoyment I will get out of it. This is a good deal at $60, and an astounding value at my employee discount price. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

It would have been a better deal at $45.

Oh I know, that's mean. I'm sure it's more about the license cost than anything else.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy was like 41.00 at Coolstuff. Just sayin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Oh I know, that's mean. I'm sure it's more about the license cost than anything else.

S.

I'm sure that the Marvel license is the reason for the higher cost. I can't image that was cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Martin
msg tools
Great_Mazinga wrote:
My copy was like 41.00 at Coolstuff. Just sayin'

Barnes and Nobles sells this game, as well. I used a 30% off to drop it to $42, and free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb

Yeah, the price is keeping me from pulling the trigger on this one although the price is probably justified with the license, artwork, board, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Phillips
United States
BLUE SPRINGS
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am on the fence about this game. I'm trying to figure out if everyone is just wrapped up in the theme or if they truly like the game play. There doesn't seem to be a lot of variety in the special abilities, but maybe someone who owns the game can comment on that.

Also, I have to say, While I was happy to see that they used high quality original artwork, I was a bit disappointed that they used the same picture for each of the hero's cards. Other companies like FFG give every card it's own piece of unique artwork, which really helps to sell the theme.

I understand that Legendary has more cards, but it seems like the number of pieces of artwork is well below other card games. At the very least they should have had different artwork for hero cards that have different abilities. Not only would this help the theme, but it would make the game easier to play as you could instantly recognize what was in your hand and in the HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I just saw a video review for it and I'll be honest, it looks like a game where you sit quietly and drink shiraz while you're playing. It doesn't exactly have that Hulk-angry kind of feel to it.

I bet you could fit a medieval farming theme to the mechanics.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hecubus667 wrote:
I too am on the fence about this game. I'm trying to figure out if everyone is just wrapped up in the theme or if they truly like the game play. There doesn't seem to be a lot of variety in the special abilities, but maybe someone who owns the game can comment on that.

Hopefully I can help you out with that. While I can't deny that I do prefer Marvel over DC (and other comic brands as well), Legendary does pack a tremendous amount of theme into the game. However, I don't think that its theme has yet to cloud my judgement when saying that Legendary has to be one of the best (not to mention streamlined) deck-building games I've yet to play.

And when speaking of variety, it's a little hard to describe the extent of it in a post (at least for me). But I suggest you check it out at ur local FLGS -because only by witnessing a game or two live, can you truly discover the wealth of synergies existing between the chosen Heroes in play.

hecubus667 wrote:
Also, I have to say, While I was happy to see that they used high quality original artwork, I was a bit disappointed that they used the same picture for each of the hero's cards. Other companies like FFG give every card it's own piece of unique artwork, which really helps to sell the theme.

Like you, I probably would've preferred that as well, but chances are that by asking the graphic designer/s for more pics; it would've also required more pay -thus rending the MSRP even higher than it is now.

hecubus667 wrote:
I understand that Legendary has more cards, but it seems like the number of pieces of artwork is well below other card games. At the very least they should have had different artwork for hero cards that have different abilities. Not only would this help the theme, but it would make the game easier to play as you could instantly recognize what was in your hand and in the HQ.

I can't really comment on that because I've never actually counted how many various pics there are in my other card games. But I can say this, "IMHO, the repetitiveness of the pics have absolutely no effect on the game, nor the theme. Legendary's design is just too good for that."

As I mentioned in a previous post above, I've already got 30 games under my belt -and I'm still itching to get Legendary on my table again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to variety - I can't stress enough just how much variety this game actually has.
This is one of (if not the) only deck-building games that has a near-infinite amount of replay value with just the base set.

You've got the 4 Masterminds and the 8 schemes. Those alone provide you with 32 distinct possibilities.
Each of those 32 options will have a villain deck composed of a henchman group (1 or 2 out of 4) and Villain groups (anywhere between 1 - 4 out of 7, depending on number of players). Needless to say, each of these groups will require a different strategy to deal with.
Then comes the hero deck, which will have you choose 3, 5 or 6 heroes out of the 15 in the box. But that's not all - in a single game you probably won't be recruiting all the heroes, so even if you're playing a game with the exact same Mastermind, Scheme, Villains and Heroes - you still have the option to build a completely different deck and play a completely different way.

My math skills are nowhere near good enough to figure out how many distinct possibilities these options compose, but suffice it to say that you are getting a whole lot of bang for your buck.

And then the expansion will come out which will exponentially raise that number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Variety should not be measured in terms of permutation, I mean you could argue that because you have random heroes come up that you could have permutations based on how the deck is shuffled (and you would be technically right). If I have 20 friends that want to play the game then that could be another set of permutations, etc..

Really it comes down to personal taste what is considered a big enough change to make the gameplay feel varied. I think listing all the different setup permutations is overselling the variation (Core Dominion has >3,000,000 combinations afterall).

That said, I do agree that the game feels a lot more varied out of the box than most other games I've played and I think it is well worth the $60 MSRP. I definitely suggest sleaving the cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Croyd Crenson
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
I noticed that the price for this game can vary heavily from store to store. And not just the price! One shop in my area has a wrongful release date for it(november 30!) and another doesn't even seem to know that the game exists.

I finally headed downtown to grab a box at 64$ before taxes. I have no regrets. A GOOD game out there with Marvel franchised characters is a rare thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Levy
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

That price you're looking at is the entry fee. More purchases to come, because when publishers call a game "deck builder" they aren't talking about what happens on the table, they're talking about what happens in the store. Expansions will be available soon.

Not soon enough for me lol The expansion won't be out until August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5teve on fire wrote:
I noticed that the price for this game can vary heavily from store to store. And not just the price! One shop in my area has a wrongful release date for it(november 30!) and another doesn't even seem to know that the game exists.

I finally headed downtown to grab a box at 64$ before taxes. I have no regrets. A GOOD game out there with Marvel franchised characters is a rare thing.

$64 + tx? I'm glad you have no regrets (no pun intended), but trust me, you should've checked out Meeplemart first -cuz they're selling it for $46.95 Can. Plus, the store's in Toronto, so there's never any customs to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

The game is $48 in Canada. Surely it is less in the USA.

At this point, I'd pay $100 if necessary. It's that good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.