Popular Tags: [View All]
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In news that is both good and bad for conservatives, researchers in the UK have been able to create stem cells from human blood, possibly helping to steer the field farther from human embryo sources. The bad news is, the UK has socialized medicine, how did they ever discover anything without a profit motive?

Oops, the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20539835
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There is no Dana, only Zuul
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
The bad news is, the UK has socialized medicine, how did they ever discover anything without a profit motive?

Maybe much the same way the US often does: the government helps (if not entirely) fund research? Example: AIDS research isn't really done in the US by private companies anymore because there's no way to recover the costs, but the US government has invested large amounts of resources (as have private nonprofits) because the need and benefit to human health is so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
how did they ever discover anything without a profit motive?

Same way as M Curie. Accidentally.

And possibly fatal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I hope it ends up being a good thing and that we can do a lot of great research with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Well, I hope it ends up being a good thing and that we can do a lot of great research with it.

I have to say that stem cell research, to me, is one of the most important areas of human research going on today. The possibilities are mind-boggling and even a bit scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I have to say that stem cell research, to me, is one of the most important areas of human research going on today. The possibilities are mind-boggling and even a bit scary.

I agree, working with humane cells is a huge pain in the ass though...I'm working on humane cell research, checking effects of certain bio inhibitors on various cancerous cell lines...

And although I KNOW that my current research is alot more important, I miss my easy peasy yeasts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I think being able to secure stem cells from a source that replenishes (I think these cells would replenish) that is also part of the person who needs the new... whatever... is huge. Hopefully this is a much-needed breakthrough on the way to better health care for everyone. Not having to wait for a transplant would be huge - having to wait for your own cells to grow one instead, well, then it's on you, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murka wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I agree, working with humane cells is a huge pain in the ass though...I'm working on humane cell research, checking effects of certain bio inhibitors on various cancerous cell lines...

And although I KNOW that my current research is alot more important, I miss my easy peasy yeasts

Why is it a PITA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1) Reagents cost alot more (Cell lines themselves, media, specialized equipment)
2) Work standards have to be WAY higher, the cells go bad if you look at them wrong.
3) They split alot slower than microbes and yeasts, approx. X2 per ~20 hours, so if you fuck something up, you lose a lot of work hours and of course the previously mentioned expensive reagents.

For example, a single small bottle of a reagent was somehow contaminated 2 months ago.
The cells started to go bad, but they didn't do it at once.
Several times, I started a series of an experiment, just to find that 4 days later, all m y cells were dead for no reason.
I had to retest all my media, I can't just throw them away because they are expensive, and that took me 2 weeks. In total, I lost almost a month of work.

Yesterday, I was really tired, and mislabeled a petri dish, which lead to the wrong test reagent inserted there. When I discovered that, I had no way to fix that, and had to throw this experiment away.
2.5 days of work, gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Coolhand" Luke
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
In news that is both good and bad for conservatives, researchers in the UK have been able to create stem cells from human blood, possibly helping to steer the field farther from human embryo sources. The bad news is, the UK has socialized medicine, how did they ever discover anything without a profit motive?

We're all (or at least the wealthy folk are) totally gonna be vampires in like 20, 25 years tops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Adult stem cells are the eventual goal; embryonic stem cells are largely—if not completely—a steppingstone toward that goal. (If you want to grow, say, a new leg for a patient, you'll want to start from that patient's own cells, to avoid transplant rejection.)

[I was going to make a joke about humane stem cells vs. cruel stem cells, but never mind.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the person who needs the new... whatever... is huge.

Put me on the list for a new huge..."whatever." I'm 62 and I've been using mine recreationally for 47 years. It's due for replacement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

Put me on the list for a new huge..."whatever." I'm 62 and I've been using mine recreationally for 47 years. It's due for replacement.

That's probably the first thing they'll work on. Start with small things and work their way up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

That's probably the first thing they'll work on. Start with small things and work their way up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coolhanded88 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

We're all (or at least the wealthy folk are) totally gonna be vampires in like 20, 25 years tops.

Sparkly ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
Quote:

In Vaudeville, they used to say comedians are a dime a dozen but if you got a good straight man you had an act. Btw, Abbot and Costello split the dough 60/40. Just thank me for our success and be happy with your 40%.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
NOTE: At the time of this post I had 3 thumbs to his 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
scribidinus wrote:

15? Isn't that a rather late age to start masturbating?

That isn't recreational use though, it's important research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murka wrote:
1) Reagents cost alot more (Cell lines themselves, media, specialized equipment)

What does "media" mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Murka wrote:

What does "media" mean?

Media is the plural form of Medium:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growth_medium

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xilan wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
The bad news is, the UK has socialized medicine, how did they ever discover anything without a profit motive?

Maybe much the same way the US often does: the government helps (if not entirely) fund research?

Government, typically via research councils into universities is one route. Charities is another, IIRC the Wellcome Foundation hands out an amount that is a significant fraction of what the Medical Research Council hands out. And in those areas where pharmaceutical companies do fund work, the UK has one of the largest such sectors in the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.