J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play at least 1 game a week at work on the lunch hour. As of this fall, I finally have a regular set of players who show up pretty regularly and so I decided to keep track of our games with a Gamer Rank based on a Gamer Score. The formula is this:

((Games Played*2)+(Games Won*10))-(Games Lost *5)

I am trying to balance the negative impact losing against the positive impact of winning and the pat on the back just for showing up. The score seems all right but I have a feeling it could be better. Looking for suggestions from the elite here on BGG. Thanks and Happy Gaming!

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest anyone playing with my name be granted a bonus win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all that formula isn't simplified.
If X=games won and Y=games lost your formula would be
2(x+y) + 10x - 5y
or 2x + 2y +10x - 5y
Which you can simplify to 12x-3y.

Second of all, I would suggest making the points from a winner based upon the number of players/teams involved. After all, winning a 7 player game is more impressive than winning a 2-player game. You could make the winner of each game get X points where X is the number of players/teams. Then all losers would receive -1 points. In this way the sum of the total points given out for each game would be one. Like in a 4 player game, one player would get +4 points, and 3 players would get -1 points. This would favor players who played more frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also given your current formula, given a random chance to win, it would be beneficial for a player to participate in a 2-4 player game, neutral to participate in a 5p game, and hurtful to participate in a larger game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the replies. I wanted some way to reward players for showing without making it equal to winning completely. Math is not my area so this kind of suggestion is a lot of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you count Co-op? All win scores for a win and all negative for a loss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figure 10 points available per hour per person. Winner gets fifty percent of available points. The rest are distributed evenly among the other players. If it's a game with standings give a slight bonus for finishing higher.

Winner: .5*10*(# players)*(game length in hours)
Others: [.5*10*(# players)*(game length in hours) ]/(# players -1)

Grant everyone full points on a won coop, half for a loss.

Win: 10*(game length in hours)
Loss: 5*(game length in hours)

The formula above doesn't work for two players. For two, give the winner 13*game length and the loser 7*game length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MhidDa wrote:
How would you count Co-op? All win scores for a win and all negative for a loss?

Well for a full co-op, score isn't necessarily worth doing, as the only meaning of a "gamer score" is relative to the other players. And if everyone shifts equally up or down, it doesn't quite matter.

If you mean a sort of team co-op, you could simply count it as an X player game where X is the number of teams playing. For instance, in a Battlestar galactica type game there are two teams, humans and cylons. Each player on the winning team would receive 2 points and each player on the losing team would receive -1 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the score, he also wants to measure activity, not just victory, so co-ops should count for something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
With the score, he also wants to measure activity, not just victory, so co-ops should count for something.

Well then a I suppose you would count a full co-op as 2 teams again. You and the game. So every player would either get 2 points or -1. Points assigned to the game are nonsense, so they wouldn't have to count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.