Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that people have had some time to take the FFG edition of the game through its paces, it would be interesting to see the current opinion on the STANDARD vs. CLASSIC versions.

Poll
Which version of MoV in the FFG Edition do you prefer?
MoV veteran = I played the original MoV prior to the FFG release
New to MoV = My first MoV experience is the FFG edition
I am a MoV veteran and prefer to play the CLASSIC version
I am a MoV veteran and prefer to play the FFG STANDARD version
I am a MoV veteran and will play either version depending on my mood
I am new to MoV and prefer to play the CLASSIC version
I am new to MoV and prefer to play the FFG STANDARD version
I am new to MoV and will play either version depending on my mood
      158 answers
Poll created by drasher25

If you enjoy the STANDARD version with some variants (such as inclusion of the DEMAND tokens, please select STANDARD and elaborate below).

Happy to keep the fires burning on this topic in discussion below. It's an interesting issue how to reconcile classic designs with more modern gaming sensibilities. This poll may give insight into how big a role nostalgia plays in formation of our preferences (I know I will forever treasure my Talisman 2nd edition).

I'm glad FFG did the best possible thing by giving us both versions to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
Now that people have had some time to take the FFG edition of the game through its paces, it would be interesting to see the current opinion on the STANDARD vs. CLASSIC versions.

I don't think I'm yet qualified to vote. I have two plays in on the original edition (pnp copy), and now two plays in on FFG standard with demand tokens.

I now want to try the FFG classic side noting some of the small changes from the original. Then I will make the call on which I like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing both versions back to back tonight to see how it goes. I've never play MoV, so I'm very excited to give both a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
AladdinSane wrote:
I'm playing both versions back to back tonight to see how it goes. I've never play MoV, so I'm very excited to give both a try!

We hope that YOU report back here, okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
No real surprises thus far. I would expect most of the classic veterans to prefer the classic game, especially given some of the points raised about balance with the new features. And for the noobs - well, the game has not been around long enough for most to have formed a preference one way or another. Doing this again in 6 months time might be much more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
AladdinSane wrote:

Start brewing the coffee, it's going to be a long night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:

Indeed it was a long night. We had 2 players (my wife and me) and each game took about 3 hours.

We both agreed that we like the classic version better. It was a bit less fiddly and we liked the random encounters and Bonus Cup mechanic more. The standard game was good too. We liked the pilots and the missions from that. I think we will probably end up playing the classic game more, but are not opposed to the standard version. I'll be bringing this to our weekly game night and other gaming events, so we'll see how that changes with more players.

We both really loved and and it has now become my 3rd favorite game (behind BSG and Power Grid)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
AladdinSane wrote:
We both really loved and and it has now become my 3rd favorite game ...

Which did you play first? (I shall assume Classic.)

Was both plays using the new FFG edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Liumas wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:
We both really loved and and it has now become my 3rd favorite game ...

Which did you play first? (I shall assume Classic.)

Was both plays using the new FFG edition?

Yes, it was classic first and FFG edition for both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel qualified to weigh in on this myself now.

I think it is GREAT that FFG gave us both these games.

Classic is a simpler beast that I can enjoy it with my five year old. It's a really well done, enjoyable pickup and deliver game.

Standard reminds me more of a boardgame version of "elite" with the upgrades and missions. I love this one too, and am more likely to play this version with gamer friends.

THIS is the way to do a reissue of an older game. Give us the classic AND an update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AladdinSane wrote:
Heliconia wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:

Indeed it was a long night. We had 2 players (my wife and me) and each game took about 3 hours.

We both agreed that we like the classic version better. It was a bit less fiddly and we liked the random encounters and Bonus Cup mechanic more. The standard game was good too. We liked the pilots and the missions from that. I think we will probably end up playing the classic game more, but are not opposed to the standard version. I'll be bringing this to our weekly game night and other gaming events, so we'll see how that changes with more players.

We both really loved and and it has now become my 3rd favorite game (behind BSG and Power Grid)!

Our feelings were similar after playing both the standard and classic. We like the missions and the pilot and ship upgrade systems from the standard version. We like the demands from the classic version, and my wife prefers no pirates. This is by someone who had a few plays of the 1st edition before playing the FFG version; the game was completely new to my wife.

In the end, I think we will probably end up playing a hybrid version and incorporating things from both standard and classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely like to use the official demands variant for the standard edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
I definitely like to use the official demands variant for the standard edition.

I have found that having the demand token coming out every turn works a little better then only on passenger turns. Other wise we usually end up with one play being in the area to take advantage of the demand, have more tokens out evens this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recant most of what I said above. The Standard version was a big flop with my gaming group. We found all the added mechanisms to be ponderous and ultimately not have much impact except subtracting from the fun. MoV is, in my opinion, best in its simpler Classic incarnation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to come full circle on this. I spent some more time with the "Standard" Game in solo mode. I think the issue here is that the Reimagined Game (a more appropriate moniker for the Standard version) is a very distinct experience from the Classic Game.

In the Reimagined game, you can't just hurl yourself into the void. You need to stick to the sectors of space you can handle until you get your ship prepared. You need to grind for a while. It is much more Warcraft (or Elite) than just pickup and deliver. If you go into it expecting an expanded version of the Classic game, you'll be disappointed, as I was. However, if the versions are approached as entirely different games, they can each be appreciated in their own right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Portland
Germany
Worms
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tried both versions and first thought the standard version was the better one. After i tried the classic version and saw the Dathkadan spaceship expansion (within the Avalon Hill MoV section) https://boardgamegeek.com/image/628418/merchant-venus?size=l... i printed & played the 8 spaceship types. So my conclusion is today: i always will fly the Classic ships. ;) And with a variant, you can still use some tiles & chits from the Std.Vers. in your classic Merchant of Venus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.