Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cribbage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does a player peg for a "go" when his opponent has no cards in hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are just learning how to play Cribbage and this situation was not clear in the rules I read.

Example: Player #1 plays his final card, making 23. Player #2 plays a 2, making 25, Player #1 has no remaining cards and therefore cannot play. So, Player #1 says, "Go," and Player #2 pegs for the go. Player #2 then plays a 5, making 30. Player #2 has only a 10 in hand and therefore cannot play another card without exceeding 31. Since Player #1 has no more cards, does Player #2 peg for another go, then play his final card (the 10) and also peg for playing the final card? The rules I read did not specifically mention whether a player gets to peg for a go when his opponent has no more cards to play or whether he just gets to peg for playing the last card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get one point for a go, then one point for playing a last card. If you can still play after a go, you play until you can't, then peg your point.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
You only get one point for a go, then one point for playing a last card. If you can still play after a go, you play until you can't, then peg your point.


Thanks. I understand that rule. My question was really about whether you peg for a go when the other player has no more cards to play. Or do you only peg for a go if the other player DOES have cards, but can't play any because he would exceed 31.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
asutbone wrote:
You only get one point for a go, then one point for playing a last card. If you can still play after a go, you play until you can't, then peg your point.


Thanks. I understand that rule. My question was really about whether you peg for a go when the other player has no more cards to play. Or do you only peg for a go if the other player DOES have cards, but can't play any because he would exceed 31.


The latter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:
asutbone wrote:
You only get one point for a go, then one point for playing a last card. If you can still play after a go, you play until you can't, then peg your point.


Thanks. I understand that rule. My question was really about whether you peg for a go when the other player has no more cards to play. Or do you only peg for a go if the other player DOES have cards, but can't play any because he would exceed 31.


The latter.


Thank you! Now I can sleep soundly tonight!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to intrude after it appears to be settled, but the way that second option is worded sounds confusing, to me at least.

A player pegs for a go if he was the last to have played a card, and neither player can play again for whatever reason (doesn't matter whether out of cards or if any card added would exceed 31). In some cases you'll peg a go, your opponent will be out of cards and you'll start laying them again and peg another go.

[edit] Patrick beat me to the punch.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. So, you peg for a go when the other player cannot play another card regardless of the reason (no more cards; only cards that will cause the count to exceed 31 if played). Then the player who pegs the go keeps playing until he gets as close as possible to 31. At this point, the count is reset and the player who called the go plays a card. If he has no cards remaining in his hand, he calls go again, his opponent pegs for the go, and continues playing cards until he exhausts his hand. Then, he pegs for playing last card. Can I sleep now?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry--I'm confused too now. I thought I had a different answer, but I deleted my post after reading this example:

Quote:
Example: Player A has king-king-2-2; player B has 9-8-7-6.
First round: A plays king - "10"; B plays 6 - "16"; A plays king - "26"; B says "go"; A plays 2 - "28"; A plays 2 - "30 for 3". A pegs 3, namely 2 for the pair of twos and 1 for playing the last card of this round.

Second round: B plays 8 - "8"; A has no cards left so cannot do anything; B plays 7 - "fifteen two" (B pegs 2 points); B plays 9 "24 for 3 and 1 for last" (B pegs 4 points: three for the run 7-8-9 and one for playing the last card).


Note that player B does not score a point for Go when player A can't play in the second round.

Maybe there's a difference between being unable to play and being unable to play without bringing the count over 31.

But on this Web page, it says:

Quote:
The cribbage rules for scoring 'go' sometimes cause confusion. You earn a point for go when your opponent cannot go. This may be (a) because he has no cards (sometimes called 'One for last'), or (b) because he cannot play without going over 31 ('One for the go').


So, I'm not sure anymore.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't all of you come over to my house and we'll just forget this discussion and drink heavily. I'll send out for pizza.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Okay. So, you peg for a go when the other player cannot play another card regardless of the reason (no more cards; only cards that will cause the count to exceed 31 if played). Then the player who pegs the go keeps playing until he gets as close as possible to 31.

Not quite - you've reversed things and are taking an extra go. As I said before, nobody pegs a go until neither player can play a card.

Whether you peg a go immediately after the other player runs out of cards depends on whether or not you can play more cards. If the count is 25 when the other guy runs out, and you have an ace and a deuce, you'll play them both before pegging your go. If you have an ace and a king, you'll play the ace, peg your go, then start over and play your king and peg another go.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One more quote, from the pagat.com Web site:

Quote:
Towards the end, it may happen that one player has run out of cards but the other still has several cards. In that case the player who still has cards simply carries on playing and scoring for any combinations formed until all his cards have been played.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't peg for a go, you peg for the last card. A go is just saying you have no legal cards to play. Thats all.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'll just stick with SLAP JACK.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to express my sympathy. This is confusing to explain, but simple to play.

Pizza, drinking, good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play a few games on Yahoo and you'll be fine.

Like others said, the hardest part is explaining it. It's almost impossible to learn the game with the rulebooks that come with made in china boards these days.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Like others said, the hardest part is explaining it. It's almost impossible to learn the game with the rulebooks that come with made in china boards these days.

Apparently it's almost impossible to learn even from the official rules of the American Cribbage Congress. I've been studying them, and I can't find a clear answer to the OP's question.

It seems that even among the experts, it's supposedly obvious what to do when one player runs out of cards. But in the situation given in the initial post to this thread, it's not obvious to me. I still wonder if there should be an extra "go" in there since player #1 can't lead to the next round after player #2 plays the 5.

The best clue I've found in the ACC rules is this:
Quote:
When a player's opponent has no more cards or calls "go," the other player may play all playable cards in succession and announce the points scored before pegging the total at one time.


Still, if I were player #2, I'd wonder how many points to count when playing the rest of my playable cards after the "go." I score a point for "go" upon laying down the 5. But then the count is reset to zero, and it'd normally be my opponent's turn to play, but he has no cards to play. So, does he say "go" again, and do I get a point for that? Or does his lack of cards mean we're past the stage of "go" possibilities, in which case I just play the 10 and score "one for last"?

The ACC rules define a "go" this way:
Quote:
go: Called by a player who cannot play a card without exceeding the cumulative count of 31


But a player might not be able to play a card simply because he doesn't have one. Does that force him to call "go"? As far as I can tell, the question is left unanswered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Play of the cards:

1. Players alternately play (place face up on the table) one card at a time, starting with the pone. The cumulative value of the cards played is announced as each card is played.

2. When a player cannot play a card without the cumulative total exceeding 31, that player calls "go", and the opponent continues to play all cards possible (not exceeding a 31-count). The player who calls "go" plays first in the following 31-count sequence.

3. Points are scored during this play of the cards

Remember: When a player's opponent has no more cards or calls "go," the other player plays all playable cards in succession and announce the points scored before pegging the total at one time.

Also remember, you can peg "go" -or- "last" but not both.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
peapicker wrote:
Play of the cards:

1. Players alternately play (place face up on the table) one card at a time, starting with the pone. The cumulative value of the cards played is announced as each card is played.

OK, so ...
Quote:
Player #1 plays his final card, making 23. Player #2 plays a 2, making 25, ...



Quote:
2. When a player cannot play a card without the cumulative total exceeding 31, that player calls "go", and the opponent continues to play all cards possible (not exceeding a 31-count). ...

OK, so ...
Quote:
Player #1 has no remaining cards and therefore cannot play. So, Player #1 says, "Go," and Player #2 pegs for the go. Player #2 then plays a 5, making 30. Player #2 has only a 10 in hand and therefore cannot play another card without exceeding 31. ...



Quote:
... The player who calls "go" plays first in the following 31-count sequence.

Yes, but ...
Quote:
Since Player #1 has no more cards, does Player #2 peg for another go ...? ...

That's the key question in this thread. It is now Player #1's turn to play, but he cannot play a card. So, does he have to say, "Go" (thus giving Player #2 another point)?

Quote:
3. Points are scored during this play of the cards

Remember: When a player's opponent has no more cards or calls "go," the other player plays all playable cards in succession and announce the points scored before pegging the total at one time.

Yes, all playable cards. But Player #2's last card, the 10, is not playable in immediate succession; it would force the count over 31. So, the count has to be reset to zero, and then it would normally be Player #1's turn--but he has no cards and can't play.


Quote:
Also remember, you can peg "go" -or- "last" but not both.

In this particular example, Player #2 has only the 10 left after the count is reset. But what if he had two 10s left? Then his very next play after the count is reset would not be "one for last." He'd play his first 10, then play the other one and score 2 for the pair and one for last.

But the key question here is, Does he score another point for "go" before he plays a 10, since his opponent cannot play (having no cards to play)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not listening bud. You are getting stuck on the original poster's question. But the original question is an invalid one because you do not peg for "go".

You peg after the last card is played in the sequence to 31. "Go" is just used to say you have no legal card to play, wether it be because you ran out of cards or because your cards would exceed 31.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Example:

Player 1 plays his last card which brings the count to 29.

Player 2 plays an ace and brings the count to 30.

Player 1 has no more cards and says "go".

Player 2 plays another ace bringing the count to 31. Player 2 then scores 4 points(2 for the pair of aces and 2 for getting exactly 31).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
You are not listening bud. You are getting stuck on the original poster's question. But the original question is an invalid one because you do not peg for "go".

You peg after the last card is played in the sequence to 31. "Go" is just used to say you have no legal card to play, wether it be because you ran out of cards or because your cards would exceed 31.

OK, then let me try applying that to the OP's example. His example is valid, whether the specific question is or not. So, here it is again:

Quote:
Example: Player #1 plays his final card, making 23. Player #2 plays a 2, making 25, Player #1 has no remaining cards and therefore cannot play. So, Player #1 says, "Go," and Player #2 pegs for the go. Player #2 then plays a 5, making 30. Player #2 has only a 10 in hand and therefore cannot play another card without exceeding 31. Since Player #1 has no more cards, does Player #2 peg for another go, then play his final card (the 10) and also peg for playing the final card? The rules I read did not specifically mention whether a player gets to peg for a go when his opponent has no more cards to play or whether he just gets to peg for playing the last card.

Based on what you've said, Aaron, Player #2 does not peg for the "go" when Player #1 first says, "Go"; rather, Player #2 pegs a point for the "go" after he plays the 5. That brings the count to 30, and neither player can play anymore, so the count is reset to zero.

Now it's Player #2's turn, but he has no cards to play, so he must say, "Go" again. However, Player #1 only pegs for the "go" after he plays his last card, the 10. And the rules state that you cannot score for both a "go" and "last card"; therefore, Player #2 scores just a point for last. Is that right?

So, the whole misunderstanding (at least on my part) has been in thinking that a player scores a point when his opponent says, "Go."

Now I know why one of my electronic cribbage games doesn't use "go" at all. It always says, "1 for last"--even when there are cards left to play. That always confused me. But now it makes sense: the point is really for playing the last card before the count is reset to zero, or for playing the very last card of all.

Thanks! I think I finally get it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Example: Player #1 plays his final card, making 23. Player #2 plays a 2, making 25, Player #1 has no remaining cards and therefore cannot play. So, Player #1 says, "Go," and Player #2 pegs for the go.


Stop right there. Nobody ever pegs for "go" in the game of Cribbage. You peg for being the closest to 31.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Okay. So, you peg for a go when the other player cannot play another card regardless of the reason (no more cards; only cards that will cause the count to exceed 31 if played). Then the player who pegs the go keeps playing until he gets as close as possible to 31. At this point, the count is reset and the player who called the go plays a card. If he has no cards remaining in his hand, he calls go again, his opponent pegs for the go, and continues playing cards until he exhausts his hand. Then, he pegs for playing last card. Can I sleep now?



I think you have this correctly now, Joe, but just to be clear the way I understand it, if you play a card when the opponent has no more cards, the opponent calls "go". 1st player plays as close as possible to 31, taking one point if not reaching 31, two if 31 is reached. The count resets at this point, and then 1st player plays any remaining cards until last card. Pairs, runs and fifteens are all possible during this playout, and 1st player should, of course, make the most of it.

It's really a lovely English game- makes perfect sense!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. When a player cannot play a card without the cumulative total exceeding 31, that player calls "go", and the opponent continues to play all cards possible (not exceeding a 31-count). ...

OK, so ...
Quote:
Player #1 has no remaining cards and therefore cannot play. So, Player #1 says, "Go," and Player #2 pegs for the go. (EDIT peapicker: this is not legal here - no pegging yet, as player 2 has yet to play up to as close to 31 as possible BEFORE pegging)

Player #2 then plays a 5, making 30. (Edit peapicker NOW peg the go for 1, player 2 has played all possible cards adding up to less than 31)

Player #2 has only a 10 in hand and therefore cannot play another card without exceeding 31. ... (EDIT: player two now plays, and calls "Last" for 1)


Here is your problem. After player 1 says "Go" player 2 has to play all remaining cards that add up to less than 31 BEFORE pegging the go. If this results in any runs/pairs etc on the way, those are also pegged.

Then since player 1 is out, player 2 then plays the 10 and calls "last" for 1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Just play a few games on Yahoo and you'll be fine.

Like others said, the hardest part is explaining it. It's almost impossible to learn the game with the rulebooks that come with made in china boards these days.


I also bought HOYLE'S RULES OF GAMES and it doesn't seem to thoroughly cover the circumstances I mentioned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.