Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
i'm somewhat new to wargames but have played some wargames and i usually play with my wife. I realized that she likes strategic-level games more than tactic-level ones. Her preferred game is Twilight Struggle, and her preferred wargame is Pursuit of Glory , even with her strugling with some rules and exeptions, but i think she really like it because it's the only strategic level wargame that i have.

Now we want to pass from WWI to WWII, and i was wondering which wargame to get. I was thinking in getting one of the new releases (or yet to released), so i was considering:

The War: Europe 1939-1945 : Liked the map, didn't like the price. whistle
A World at War : Appears to be a too much of a step rule and counter-wise for us, but very good reports.
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe : low density of counters is a plus.
The Supreme Commander : Too much map information might scare her.

Well this is what i found, any sugestion of which one i should get? sugestions of older wargames are also welcome.

Thanks and sorry for any english mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've liked two card-driven (war/warlike) games so far, you should at least glance at World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin; it may not be what you're looking for since it starts in 1941, but it is familiar territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eduardo,

Something you might consider is going to ebay, and type in "Avalon Hill dvd"

There are many dvd's, each with scans of rules, maps, counters, charts, etc., with a bunch of games on each dvd, and for very little money. You'd have to print things out, but even with the cost of ink and paper, you'd be paying almost nothing for a game, and there are many great classics among them.

On the Naval Battles dvd, "Midway" was one of my favorites, that my brother and I played many times. "War at Sea" is one of the simpler, fast playing, but fun games too.

On the Fortress Europa dvd, "France 1944" had a small number of counters, and wasn't too complex. Another game on there is "The Longest Day" which was one of the early monster games- massive map, vast numbers of counters, and a playing time measured in weeks!

It's a cool way for someone to cheaply get a large variety of classic games from 30 to 50 years old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
alfredhw wrote:
If you've liked two card-driven (war/warlike) games so far, you should at least glance at World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin; it may not be what you're looking for since it starts in 1941, but it is familiar territory.

As his wife likes Pursuit of Glory, that is the best place to go - using the same basic system and all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does she like about Persuit of glory? For me, persuit of glory feels like the mechanisms fit the theme. With Barbarossa, not so much. If your wife likes the mechanisms; then she may well enjoy them in a different theatre; but if she likes the game it's quite possible that she will enjoy WW2 games with different mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I suggest peeking at something along the lines of a victory lost? I havent played it (though I'm excited by the possibility at some point!); but it might be be similar enough/different enough to be worthwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be true, she gets a little tired of reading in english as her english is not one of the best. I think she likes the bigger scale, fighting a whole war instead a battle, and i want to change a little because i already have 2 CDG games that we like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was waiting for someone to recommend a game that wasn't Strategic WW2. These kind of threads usually devolve into a wide divergence from the original request while folks push there favorite games. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had fun with this in the old days...strategic in scope with one map...World War II: European Theater of Operations, 1939-45...regularly on Ebay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis & Allies: 1942

Simple, strategic, not much reading of English. Plays with 2 or multiple players in case some friends want to join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOSEPH BORNSTEIN
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An older game of interest might be Hitler's War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

As his wife likes Pursuit of Glory, that is the best place to go - using the same basic system and all.

I agree, but I would go with Shifting Sands, first. It also uses the Paths of Glory system. But unlike Barbarossa to Berlin, the strategy is more straight-forward. You know what you HAVE to do, but you are trying to use your cards the best way to get there. It is a lot easier to grasp the system than any of the other Paths of Glory games (including the original) in my opinion.

If you like it, then try Barbarossa to Berlin (B2B). It is by the same designer who created Paths of Glory. It feels like he was trying to take the system that worked so well in WWI and tried to force it on to WWII and the end result is that feels like wearing a pair of pants that is one size too small. You can fit in them, but they aren't comfortable.

That said, I like B2B. Part of the problem is that it has a lot of exceptions (again, forcing the Paths system to fit into this context) and I keep messing up rules. That's a personal problem with my ability to comprehend. But I think you'll like it, but I think you'll like Shifting Sands more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i'm amazed that your wife likes Pursuit of Glory with its 40+ pages of rules. my brother likes PoG and we both like Barbarossa to Berlin but where turned off by the long rulebook of the Pursuit of Glory. Europe Engulfed and A House Divided(American civil war) are both fun strategic level games. also For the People is a great CDG of the of the american civil war at a strategic level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
And there off!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
A Brasilian girl who plays wargames? Paraíso!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
A Brasilian girl who plays wargames? Paraíso!

What? are you in some way stereotyping my wife? Shame on you shake

...Just kidding

Anyway my english is not very good so maybe i did not make myself clear, i have chosen the games above because i don't want another CDG, i already have 2 that we really like and i want to try something new for us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Your English is wonderful!

I strongly recommend SPI's "World War II." It's linked above and is a very good game, one that doesn't rely too much on detailed rules. It's something of a simplistic game in comparison to others, but it reveals hidden pleasures, especially in the three player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Walker
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nao sei se posso ajudar, mas um bom jogo e relativamente simples, em termos de wargames pode ser Krieg! World War II in Europe

Pode ser duro de achar, mas vale a pena

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Walker
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
De onde vc é?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe Engulfed

Take away the verbiage on the cards and replace it with cool blocks.

Rules are even a bit easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Pursuit of Glory you MUST get Paths of Glory. Yes, it is not WW2, but, it is a fantastic game.

Strategic WW2 games in a similar time involved frame (8 hours), complexity and just plan fun as Pursuit of Glory don't exist; except for Barbarossa to Berlin (Europe) or the fantastic Empire of the Sun (Pacific).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Bastard_guy wrote:
Nao sei se posso ajudar, mas um bom jogo e relativamente simples, em termos de wargames pode ser Krieg! World War II in Europe

Pode ser duro de achar, mas vale a pena

There are two copies currently on eBay, and one was sold earlier this week for just 15 dollars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastard_guy wrote:
De onde vc é?

Sou do Rio de Janeiro mas estou morando em Aracaju.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hitler's War

easy to play, very few pieces, programmed instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.