T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd keep a running amalgamation of Richard's answers to our various questions about his fun new game (until the kickstarter rules he is putting together are officially available).

Kickstarter Elf Lord Rules
Thank you again for supporting the KickStarter campaign. The rewards for your support are in the game you have been sent, but unfortunately no rules were included with your games. This KickStarter Rules Supplement will address any rule changes that appear on the KickStarter Battlefields and Wild cards.

The Elf Lord Wild Card Tiles:
These tiles are used like any other Wild card, but because they are tiles rather than cards, they are used as noted below.
Set-Up: Shuffle the Elf Lord tiles and place face down next to the shuffled Hero draw deck.

Game Play: When the Hero player plays one of their Wild cards from their deck, they may discard the card and draw one of the 4 Elf Lord tiles to play instead. This action is optional and the player may use the Druid wild card from the deck if they wish, but if they want to use the Elf Lord wild card, they must announce they are doing so before they draw the tile.

The Aloof Elf Lord: Once an Elf Lord tile is used, after resolution of the Battlefield they were played to, it is discarded to the box. Therefore, each tile may only be used 1 time in a game.

Optional Rule: If the Dark Lord player is more experienced that the Hero player, they may handicap themselves and allow the Hero player to keep the Elf Lord tiles face up and choose which one they want to play each turn.

Diplomacy Icon: This icon appears on the Karmak Sands Battlefield identifying this battle one of diplomacy. No attacks initiated by the Sword icon on a character may be made at this location. It is simply a matter of gaining the required number of points and having the Eagle Rider (Heroes) or the Sand Rider (Minions) present to win diplomatically gain this battlefield.

Dangerous Area: This icon appears on Scorpion Canyon and Fire River. It denotes that the Battlefield terrain is dangerous regardless of the presence of enemy troops. Therefore, each time a combatant is added to the Battlefield the player rolls 1 die and if a Sword is rolled the card comes into play stunned.
Note: These Battlefields do show the basic rule for Dangerous Area on the bottom of each card.

KS Battlefields:

The Sword in the Starburst icon means dangerous territory. The Hero or Minion may become stunned when placed onto this Battlefield. Roll 1 die and if 1 or 2 Swords they come in Stunned.

This is one of my favorite Battlefields as it is so unpredictable, and well, just fun to play.

Sorry again no KS rules accompanied, but as you can see some of the KS bonus stuff is really fun. I wanted to make sure the supporters got things that were significant in game play.

Thanks again – Richard

Karmak Sands is a neutral territory from the unpublished Troll Alliance expansion for the Defenders of the Realm boardgame. While some of the renegade Sand Riders have joined the Dark Lord's army, the major force under the rule of the Silver Scorpion has not been committed. Therefore, this battlefield is a diplomatic battlefield - no combat occurs on it and the symbol is No Attack. You can however use Intrigue (the wizard's hat Special Attack ability) but no sword attacks.

We (the Heroes in a 4-player game)won a close game last night by taking the Karmak Sands Battlefield as our last one to win a Standard game, but it was close as we had a lot of Wild Cards in our hands that provided no value on this Battlefield.

Thanks for playing - hope this clears up the question and I will get a nice printable guide posted soon.

FAQs:
Q1:
How is it possible to invoke Black Dragon Magic if only one minion can do Attack or use a special power per turn? Is it an ongoing effect that must be tracked for future failed rolls by each minion present at the time?
Help!

A:
As long as Onyx with the Black Dragon Magic skill is active (unstunned) each time any combatant attacks on that battlefield you may re-roll the die or dice if failing to stun the target. It is easy to keep track of this skill for the battle.

Hope this answers your question. Thanks for playing Battlefields.

Richard

Q2:
Can a General use same power two or more times on same turn?
If so, then Varkolak seems like a slam dunk to win any high-numbered battlefield: just bring him in, then repeatedly use his Raise Dead power to revive all stunned cards.
We will play each power can only be used once per game round unless informed otherwise.

A: You know you have my support for any decisions you make regarding house rules, but as the rules are written a player can use any skill more than once, and any number of skills per turn. Yes, this can be powerful, but somebody tried the strategy you mentioned for Varkolak's Raise Dead skill tonight and since they still did not have enough points failed to win as the Heroes used the Gate to remove him from he battlefield.
So, it is not automatic, but all the Generals are very strong and used strategically can sway a battle, but they can be countered by the other side.

Thanks again for playing. Richard

Q3:
When playing a wild card on a battlefield that must have numbers declining on them what does the wild card stand for. The rules say it has no numeric value but can match up as a same card. How does this work on a battlefield like Father Oak Forest or Unicorn Forest. I really enjoy the game but this question is bothering us and we need the answer. I got my copy at Essen and it looks and plays great!!!!

A3: The Wild cards have no numerical value, so when fighting for a battlefield requiring a total Combat Value, the card can only provide a special attack or power, but no additional combat value. The Wild cards are most powerful on a battlefield requiring a number of combatants in declining order as the card can be added at any point of the battle and count as an active combatant.
Glad you like the game – Richard

Q3 Followup: Thanks for the response Richard. Just to clarify: the wild card can be played as part of 4 cards in declining order at any point. I assume you could play 8, Wild, 7 and 3 for instance to be your 4 cards in declining order?
Thanks so much for the help. This was the only part of the rules I found confusing. Game is beautifully produced and loads of fun to play. I enjoy the 2 on one 3 player especially.

Answer to Followup:
You are correct in your example - the Wild card can fit in between any 2 numbers.
Hey - I am with you, I love the 2 on 1 game play for the three player game - probably my favorite way to play the game, and I have enjoyed being on the team or the lone general standing alone.
Thanks again for playing the game - enjoy.

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for compiling this list.

I think running FAQs are a great asset to game communities generally speaking. When I first learned to play Goa a quite some time ago the FAQ on BGG really helped.

More on topic, I believe that the Kickstarter supplemental rules are available on BGG.

Here is the link:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85064/defenders-of-the-rea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about the abilities of generals on the karnak sands. If a general dragon breathes on heroes and removes them, is that considered an "attack"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were wondering the same whether Generals could use their actions to attack on Karmak Sands?

And just to confirm, it is valid to use the Necromancer or Sorceress "hat" ability to stun an opponent on Karmak Sands?

mistergarner1 wrote:
What about the abilities of generals on the karnak sands. If a general dragon breathes on heroes and removes them, is that considered an "attack"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Jason L. Garner
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It might make sense just to state that generals cannot enter that battlefield. Thats the way i will play it until clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.