United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a hater, let me preface with that. I Like the game, but the amount of people who LOOOOVE this game strikes me as extraordinary. I find it to be a rather bland worker placement, is it the theme? would this game be far less popular if you were attempting to fill orders as an online store? I don't need to be conviced that its good, i just wanna know why its a top game of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
I'm not a hater, let me preface with that. I Like the game, but the amount of people who LOOOOVE this game strikes me as extraordinary. I find it to be a rather bland worker placement, is it the theme? would this game be far less popular if you were attempting to fill orders as an online store? I don't need to be conviced that its good, i just wanna know why its a top game of the year.

I dislike Steam and love Ticket to Ride. People like me love Lords of Waterdeep and hate other WP for the same reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
People like me love Lords of Waterdeep and hate other WP for the same reasons.

Thats my point here, its a Euro through and through, some might even call it a 'Cube Pusher' but it is super popular

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
People like me love Lords of Waterdeep and hate other WP for the same reasons.

Thats my point here, its a Euro through and through, some might even call it a 'Cube Pusher' but it is super popular

It is super popular because the game can be taught to anybody right on the first turn onwards and yet has that bit of theme and strategy that keeps people engaged.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats legit, SkiFree, but so can a lot of other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cause it's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays pretty fast, is easy to teach, plays just as well with 2 as it does with 5, and it is alot of fun. Other than that, pretty normal Euro worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be that LoW is an Ameritrash-skinned Euro as it can be? The most extreme crossbreed of US art and Euro mechanisms ever?

Or perhaps it's only the D&D lobby again..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be because a lot of the Euro WP games fall into patterns once you've played them enough. I've played a few of the more popular WP Euro's and will not play them again but I enjoy LoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
Could it be that LoW is an Ameritrash-skinned Euro as it can be? The most extreme crossbreed of US art and Euro mechanisms ever?

I think thats the biggest reason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Freshmaker
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Q.E.D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
magneheeli wrote:

Which of the two? The latter?

"...as it only can be.."? "...as it can only be..."? Hmm. RUSTY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
glitch404 wrote:
[q="magneheeli"]Could it be that LoW is an Ameritrash-skinned Euro as it can be? The most extreme crossbreed of US art and Euro mechanisms ever?

Which of the two? The latter?

perhaps both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite having the mother of all geeky themes (D&D), it is surprisingly unpretentious with an elegant gameplay that is pleasing to both hardcore & casual gamers and can be played in an easily accommodated amount of time. Win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Despite having the mother of all geeky themes (D&D), it is surprisingly unpretentious with an elegant gameplay that is pleasing to both hardcore & casual gamers and can be played in an easily accommodated amount of time. Win!

well put!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that there are many reasons it is so well received.

1. Easy to learn/play: this is a huge bonus compared to other WP games
2. WP mechanisms and turns are well designed mechanically, less abstract than some other WP
3. On each turn, during each players placement, several players may be involved (playing intrigue cards, placing on another players building, etc). Keeps all players involved during each turn unlike most WP games
4. "Screw-age" of other players using intrigue cards, also methods of collaborating with another player to hurt a player in the lead by playing beneficial intrigue cards (appealing to many new board game players)
5. Secret scoring techniques that has you work on a strategy that is less abstract for end game, and not just during turns. No other player knows your endgame approach so you play asymetrically. Something that few WP games have.

D&D may be a draw for some players; however, most of my game group wanted to avoid it due to it's D&D branding. Since I was able to convince them to play despite the name, it has easily become one of our favorite WP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
Thats legit, SkiFree, but so can a lot of other games

If you're going to come up with counters like that, then no answer here will satisfy you.

It is the amalgamation of everything that cannot be quantified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
anyone think the game is overrated?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
I'm not a hater, let me preface with that. I Like the game, but the amount of people who LOOOOVE this game strikes me as extraordinary. I find it to be a rather bland worker placement, is it the theme? would this game be far less popular if you were attempting to fill orders as an online store? I don't need to be conviced that its good, I just wanna know why its a top game of the year.

For me part of it's theme. As an "old" pen and paper 1st and 2nd edition AD&D player, abstract representation of the theme is fine. We played with just paper.

It's also a solid worker placement that plays up to five without taking all night. It's long enough to feel there is some meat on the game with out being excessively long.

With a easy learning curve it is very accessible, and with rare exception the game tends to be relatively close. I haven't played a game where someone felt so behind that they were miserable.

Lastly it's not so in depth that you can't talk, have fun and enjoy each others company while playing. Some games, while good, just has you thinking so much that it's a quite table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
anyone think the game is overrated?

I'm sure I'm not the only one. It basically comes down to the fact that if the flavor text leaves you cold what you're left with is a fast playing wp cube pusher.

I'll gladly play LoW and I might even add it back to my collection at some point. But IMO it is most definitely overrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
It is the amalgamation of everything that cannot be quantified.

I agree it is a little difficult to quantify, (though there have been some good responses on this thread).

I would add, in my experience it is a well balanced game that has left us with a satisfying experience where the tension is just right, the out come seems fair - unless you get that damn mandatory quest in the last turn shake

Though the genre from which it comes from is tried and true there is something elegant in the design of play that works - for many of us anyway.

As with a tonne of games on BGG - to each his own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the mix of Ameritrash & Euro, I own the game, have played it, have preordered the expansion(s) and the DnDeeples.....but I've never actually read the flavor texts on the cards.

I must say, even the DnDeeples can't always manage to make me call them what they should be: clerics, wizards, rogues and fighters.

It's a very interesting approach to use such a theme for a wp game.
But let's be honest - it doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
It basically comes down to the fact that if the flavor text leaves you cold what you're left with is a fast playing wp cube pusher.

I could still love it for that if it weren't for the mandatory quests, which I feel potentially break the game when you get hit with multiple MQ's.

It does what it does well, which is scratch that euro-ish itch without bogging down with massive turn lengths or AP. It's charm is that it is, in terms of gameplay not theme, a rather generic Eurogame. It doesn't add any bells or whistles, which means it can play quick and without anything terribly complicated to slow it down. It is as if someone made a design challenge to come up with the bare minimum required for a Eurogame. That's also it's downside, as there isn't anything else terribly special about it.

I'm sure the theme does a lot for some people, and it isn't a bad theme, It's just thoroughly ignorable. Even something small like character shaped meeples instead of cubes would go a long way towards bringing the theme more fully into the game.

I like the game a lot. But it got overplayed at our table, which made me a little cooler on it. And again, if you get hit with three mandatory quests it can be just painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bowers
United States
Strongsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Richard Harrow RIP
badge
Richard Harrow RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to learn but is a much deeper strategy game than it seems on the surface. A master player will beat a mediocre player almost every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.