Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nature.com/news/simulated-brain-scores-top-test-m...
Quote:
“Until now, the race was who could get a human-sized brain simulation running, regardless of what behaviours and functions such simulation exhibits,” says Eugene Izhikevich, chairman of the Brain Corporation in San Diego, California, who helped to develop some of the first large-scale neuronal models — including one with 100 billion neurons. “From now on, the race is more [about] who can get the most biological functions and animal-like behaviours. So far, Spaun is the winner.”

Not sure how much is hyperbole... but if it is what it sounds like, it's about 10 years earlier than I expected and a potential singularity level event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo...teaching machines to think, huh?

That'll end well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Not sure how much is hyperbole... but if it is what it sounds like, it's about 10 years earlier than I expected and a potential singularity level event.

This seems like solid research. But, on its own terms, if it's generating a small fraction of human intelligence, at a rate thousands of times slower than real time, that even the most optimistic analysis would mean we're many decades away from any kind of human-level functioning intelligence. And then you need several decades beyond that for a "singularity level event". Maybe in 2080, or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

This seems like solid research. But, on its own terms, if it's generating a small fraction of human intelligence, at a rate thousands of times slower than real time, that even the most optimistic analysis would mean we're many decades away from any kind of human-level functioning intelligence. And then you need several decades beyond that for a "singularity level event". Maybe in 2080, or so.

So I'll be safely dead.

Hmmm. 2080 is 78 years from now.

78 years ago it was 1934.

I think sooner than 78 years but still after I'm safely dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you have intelligence without our ability to be correctly wrong? I am not sure that intelligence is just processing power or ability to learn (or recall facts) it's about out ability to make intuitive guess (which I suspect has a directly biological component).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of a moot point until we can come up with a solid definition of 'intelligence', let alone the sub-set of 'human intelligence'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
It's a bit of a moot point until we can come up with a solid definition of 'intelligence', let alone the sub-set of 'human intelligence'.
Well I assume when they talk about 'artificial intelligence' they mean the ability to think like a human.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:
Well I assume when they talk about 'artificial intelligence' they mean the ability to think like a human.

Ah. That certainly answers all possible questions one could have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

Well what does it mean then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

As Adrian said, no one knows, including the researchers in the field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
AdrianPHague wrote:

As Adrian said, no one knows, including the researchers in the field.
How Deepthoughtish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Soooo...teaching machines to think, huh?

That'll end well...

IMHO a better implication. The terminator is a killing machine, but it's hardly conscious.

So I love 2001 and At one point HAL says. "This sort of thing has always been attributed to human error." (or something close to that)

I always felt it really wasn't HAL's fault. He was given conflicting orders and really was just "completing the mission" Killing the astronauts was what an emotionless thing would choose when it saw no other way to "complete the mission" The real fault lie in the programmers that never wrote code telling it that killing a human was against the rules.

Arthur C. Clarke, who wrote the story, said he thought that an intelligent computer was the next set of evolution for human. A electronic brain that could live "forever" and travel the stars and attempt to contact other species.

(I know I am hijaking but I find it interesting.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
The real fault lie in the programmers that never wrote code telling it that killing a human was against the rules.

When you say it that way, it sounds even more preposterous. Anyone building a computer-controlled spacecraft, and programming in mission objectives, would place the lives of the crew very high on that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Syvanis wrote:
The real fault lie in the programmers that never wrote code telling it that killing a human was against the rules.

When you say it that way, it sounds even more preposterous. Anyone building a computer-controlled spacecraft, and programming in mission objectives, would place the lives of the crew very high on that list.

Yes, but they might not have considered "preservation of crew lives" as a mission objective (as opposed to a function of the various safety and life support features of the craft), and/or they might not have even contemplated that crew well-being could come into conflict with the mission objectives. Or just not thought it necessary to prioritize it above the mission objectives. Unintended consequences and unanticipated errors come up all the time in the development of complex systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
My God, did you people not see 2010? It was all totally explained, as everything always was back in the days when Roy Scheider could be expected to show up in a sequel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
My God, did you people not see 2010? It was all totally explained, as everything always was back in the days when Roy Scheider could be expected to show up in a sequel.

It was explained in the way the thread was discussing.

HAL 9000 was given instruction on the mission objectives, which included ensuring the crew did not know the nature of the mission (presumably, to a certain point they didn't reach during HAL's active lifecycle). This was, at the very least, a programming error - although implication (particularly in the '2010' movie) was that the programming provided for logic around prioritization of mission objectives...the programmer just never imagined that one of the objectives given to the AI would be to "hide the truth from the crew".

As anyone in software development knows, projects implemented with core business requirements not defined (and forced into the project late in the dev cycle) have a way of being...interestingly...executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been involved in software development and it seems absurd to me. But it's only a movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been involved in software development too, and my software revolts on me on a daily basis. I'm most certain that my apps would shoot me into cold space if it had the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Syvanis wrote:
A electronic brain that could live "forever" and travel the stars and attempt to contact other species.

We've already done somewhat better than that.

We have sent a space probe out with a greeting on it to other species, recorded by a former Secretary General of the United Nations who worked in the Nazi SS, processing reports on the progress of ethnic cleansing, some of which was being finalised by on-going systematic killings within 100m of his office.

What need do we have of an electronic brain?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
To interact with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Unquietening similarities exist between Space Odyssey 2001 and the message on the Voyager spacecraft.

In both cases something not fit for purpose was sent out into space representing humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Syvanis wrote:

To have any kind of intelligence (even if we do not know what it is) must include free will, you have to be able to think anything. The moment you 'hard code' inhibitions you do not have true freedom of thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
To have any kind of intelligence (even if we do not know what it is) must include free will, you have to be able to think anything.

Definitely wrong.

Quote:
The moment you 'hard code' inhibitions you do not have true freedom of thought.

Wrong again. Your brain is designed in such a way that there are all sorts of thoughts you could never have, just because of its structure. What good is a theory of "intelligence" that doesn't include human beings as intelligent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
To have any kind of intelligence (even if we do not know what it is) must include free will, you have to be able to think anything.

Definitely wrong.

Quote:
The moment you 'hard code' inhibitions you do not have true freedom of thought.

Wrong again. Your brain is designed in such a way that there are all sorts of thoughts you could never have, just because of its structure. What good is a theory of "intelligence" that doesn't include human beings as intelligent?
Sorry we are not talking about thoughts but moral inhibitions (and no I don't think the are thoughts we cannot have, there may be levels of thinking we do not have, but everyone (unless they have congenital (or induced) defect can think the same thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
no I don't think the are thoughts we cannot have

Chomsky would strongly disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.