Subject: Do you have your dead leave the circle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried playing where the dead leave the circle and found that it creates more problems than it solves.

Obviously it's a lot easier to count the remaining people that are alive if the dead leave the circle. As the moderator, I'd actually prefer this. But as a person playing the game, it's a bit isolating to leave the circle and sit in another area of the room. Ultimately, people didn't have fun playing that way.

The second issue created is that people start talking in the corner, not involved with the game, creating a distraction.

So my solution was to buy a pack of red party balloons. Anyone who's dead must hold an inflated balloon for the duration of their death. People enjoy holding ballons for some reason. And it allows me to quickly scan the crowd the see who's still in play.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you can use hats, baloons, necklaces or any other item to denote a dead character. That and they must not talk.

We let them stay because it is fun to see the wolves wake up and to find out who killed you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
We keep our games fairly simple and loose for rules like these.

If people wish to leave the circle they can, but they must keep any discussions quiet.
Most people choose to stay. We don't silence them completely unless they give game information or are talking too much and distracting the gameplay. If we aren't sure who is alive, anyone in the game can request a show of hands for who is still alive (even the dead can do this if they want, but have only had it happen a couple of times).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:
We tried playing where the dead leave the circle and found that it creates more problems than it solves.

Obviously it's a lot easier to count the remaining people that are alive if the dead leave the circle. As the moderator, I'd actually prefer this. But as a person playing the game, it's a bit isolating to leave the circle and sit in another area of the room. Ultimately, people didn't have fun playing that way.

The second issue created is that people start talking in the corner, not involved with the game, creating a distraction.

So my solution was to buy a pack of red party balloons. Anyone who's dead must hold an inflated balloon for the duration of their death. People enjoy holding ballons for some reason. And it allows me to quickly scan the crowd the see who's still in play.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of party ballons...

How old is your group?

Typically, they leave the circle as they have a tendency to get involved in conversation.

IF they whine about being dead, this is not a game for them.
They don't realize to watch how the game continues to the end and HOW the WOLVES are trying to screw the party over...Seems like weak players, maybe that's why they were killed in the first place. People that don't pay ATTENTION to the game need to die, they are a liability to the village.

THEY SHOULD BY NO MEANS DISCUSS ANYTHING about the game within earshot. This is a game of INFORMATION gained by the LIVE players. Dead players talking RUIN EVERY GAME... If they continue, kick them out forcefully and don't invite them back. It's rude to the remaining players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lortarg wrote:
We keep our games fairly simple and loose for rules like these.

If people wish to leave the circle they can, but they must keep any discussions quiet.
Most people choose to stay. We don't silence them completely unless they give game information or are talking too much and distracting the gameplay. If we aren't sure who is alive, anyone in the game can request a show of hands for who is still alive (even the dead can do this if they want, but have only had it happen a couple of times).

IF they speak and give info away...it's over...

Have them sit together and close the other circle up...

THEY CANNOT DISCUSS THE GAME...

One little, " I KNEW John was a werewolf..." Comment BLOWS THE GAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Glencross
Australia
Geelong
VIC
flag msg tools
ASLChampion wrote:

IF they speak and give info away...it's over...

Have them sit together and close the other circle up...

THEY CANNOT DISCUSS THE GAME...

One little, " I KNEW John was a werewolf..." Comment BLOWS THE GAME.

Exactly. Which is why if they do give out information, they aren't allowed to talk again (over multiple game sessions) until we are sure they won't do it again.
So far, the most we have had is a couple of small slips (much less obvious than your example, that most people didn't pick up on), and after being unable to talk near the game for a only a couple of games we let them off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
How old is your group?

25-35 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
waitreally wrote:

Whether I play or moderate, I basically demand that the dead leave the circle. Non-negotiable.

- As a moderator, it is such a hassle to try to determine the number of eligible voters when non-voters are mixed in the circle (though I find your balloon suggestion HILARIOUS).

- As a player, it is really annoying to try and hold a discussion with the group when you don't quite remember who is alive and who is dead. "Is that quiet guy not spyhunting / refusing to participate or was he killed a few rounds ago?"

Normally when I play it is in a convention setting and dead players either watch from a distance or go and join a new game. If I play at home though I usually have a game going on the side - something like Cards Against Humanity, Set, or Balderdash where players can join and drop out easily. See this thread for suggestions: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/873651/short-and-easy-games-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.