Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently trying to think of any games that are urban/modern fantasy themed, and came up short. Most of the fantasy themed games I can think of are high fantasy (wizards, camelot, lord of the rings, etc.) or historical fantasy (like A Touch of Evil). And there's clearly a lot of Lovecraft and zombie themed games recently, but I would consider that more horror.

Can anyone think of a game that has elements like werewolves, demons, vampires, fairies, etc. but in a modern setting?

Mostly just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nightfall series and Vampire: Prince of the City are the first to come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Exercises in Futility" by Mgła
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the World of Darkness RPGs, I know of two games based around the new WoD setting.

Hunter: Deadly Prey -- This one's an abstract. I own it and I like it, though finding people who are interested in playing it is a challenge in and of itself. It's semi-cooperative, where the Hunters are all on one team (though not always or entirely cooperative), and they're up against the player who plays the role of the monster. I think this game captures the feel (okay, an abstraction of the feel) of the RPG, which is to say that, if you take the abstract nature of it and apply a story as you go along, I think you'll find yourself enjoying the narrative -- though maybe I only say that, because I have experience with the RPG.

Vampire: Prince of the City -- I don't own this one, but I'd really like to acquire it and give it a try. From what I've heard, it captures a bit of the political interplay present in the RPG counterpart. I've also heard that other games enact similar mechanics albeit in a "better way", but I have a fondness for games that are a little rough around the edges, so that criticism, if it's true, doesn't necessarily turn me off from this game. Additionally, despite the fact that the players are playing vampires, I don't know if this is a political/negotiation/backstab game first and a horror game second. (edit: oooo, ninja'd)

Thank you for this thread, as I'm also interested in other recommendations for this genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not recommend any White Wolf products. They tend to be rich in theme but have terrible game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a free solitaire modern fantasy card game that uses Tarot Cards as its only components. It's called Queens of Fate.

"You are a modern day shaman and supernatural champion. Waging your secret war against dark forces intent on reshaping the universe, you also face off against destiny in the wake of an uncertain prophecy that foretells destruction but gives the promise of hope.

Across the world, the infant Queens of Fate are being reincarnated into the world. Can you find them before the dark powers get to them?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Avery
United States
Suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Why insane clown posse's quest for Shan-gri-la of course! http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28879/the-que
st-for-shangri-la

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tannhäuser perhaps? Modern setting (well 1949 -- modern compared to medieval at any rate), fantasy elements, but not really urban ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Can anyone think of a game that has elements like werewolves, demons, vampires, fairies, etc. but in a modern setting?"

Though not a board game, The latetest expansion for The Sims 3 " Supernaturals" fits the theme perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Tannhäuser perhaps? Modern setting (well 1949 -- modern compared to medieval at any rate), fantasy elements, but not really urban ....

Dust, however, has magic and is set in the 20th century.

Does steampunk count? It's urban, even if not modern. So perhaps 011 would fit the bill. Doom: The Boardgame has demons, and is very modern (even futuristic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Forever Young: A Vampire Game and Ragami have urban settings. The latter is about angels trying to help people. I don't have any experience with either game, though, and can't tell if they are any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
How about anything in the Shadowrun series... essentially magic comes back to the modern world and transforms street punks into awesome forms that meld technology and magic together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, all! I'm kind of surprised there isn't more in this space, honestly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.