5 Posts

Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing on playing general powers and special cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolf Buchner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both special cards and general powers can be done "at any time". This can lead to some weird timing situations, particularly when someone is trying to remove a general.

Let's say that I've got the Ranger on a battlefield with 1 token on him. My opponent then plays Magic Gate.

Questions:
Can I respond by using the the Ranger's token to do a 2-die attack?

Can I respond by playing Travelling Healer to put 2 more tokens on the Ranger and then spend those tokens to attack every minion at the battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magic Gate is an unstoppable way to get rid of a General and once played the effect is immediate, if they are removing the General it is removed from the Battlefield and returned to box.

The Ranger could not attack before being removed (after all the Ranger foolishly stumbled through a gate, he is no longer there to fire his bow) and the the Traveling Healer could not replenish the tokens of the Ranger since he is gone the moment the Magic gate was played and he was chosen as the target (additionally, more tokens would not prevent the problem of the General being discarded by the Magic Gate.

Thanks for playing - Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Buchner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. So I take from this that all special card actions are atomic operations and fully resolve before anything else happens.

Thus to use an alternate example, let's say I have Var Kolak out and I spend two tokens to look at the Hero hand. They have a Magic Gate which I want them to discard. They cannnot play the Magic Gate since Var Kolak's action fully resolves before anything else happens - correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Your example is correct. Since you have chosen to take the action of Varkolak, they cannot interrupt that action and play the Magic Gate from their hand to exile him to another land.

The opposition could play the Magic Gate immediately as the General appeared on the Battlefield, preventing the General's player from activating any of their actions, but if the opposition delays playing the Magic Gate long enough for the General's player to announce an action they are taking for the General, that General will carry out the Action prior to the opposition playing the Magic Gate special card. and removing them from the Battlefield.

Thanks for playing - Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolf Buchner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that all makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time to answer these rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.