Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,
Just thought I would throw something fun out there with a touch of seriousness!

I love my wife dearly , but she doesn't like games like Descent cry ... anybody experience the same and have been able to convert them?

Oh, and to all you guys out there that have girlfriend/wives that love Descent... Lucky #*&%! angry

Thanks!
(Oh and yes she has played it once, and won based on other's advice... [Hero])

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh that sucks.

I do not have that problem, in fact my wife is more of a geek than I am.

However, I have been lucky enough to convert her over to the beloved world of boardgames rather than the usual RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife hates ATs and loves euros (some). Not a gamer at all indeed. I brought two other guys who love RPGs, dungeon crawlers, etc. They tell her they needed another heroe to defeat the vile Overlord (that's me), she accepted. Maybe she was upset with me and wanted to kick the Overlord ass...Easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrescan wrote:
My wife hates ATs and loves euros (some). Not a gamer at all indeed. I brought two other guys who love RPGs, dungeon crawlers, etc. They tell her they needed another heroe to defeat the vile Overlord (that's me), she accepted. Maybe she was upset with me and wanted to kick the Overlord ass...Easy.

That's how I got her the first time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife typically only plays Euros, and even then not very often. She was immediately turned off from Descent because of the theme, and won't even try it.

I have a group of friends who are into it though, so once a week she gets to watch her girly shows on Netflix while we delve into dungeons with Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there isn't going to be a way to make your wife like it if she initially doesn't.

My wife is pretty flexible (loving) and will play things with me that she doesn't naturally like, because she's wonderful, but it has it's limits. She did sit down and play a quest or two with me of Descent, but I could tell she was not having a good time, and I didn't ask her to do it again. Butttttt, she does make breakfast burritos for my friends when they come over on Saturday morning to play!

My wife's favorite games to play with me are:
Lost Cities
Pandemic
Ticket to Ride
Settlers of Catan
Agricola

Things that fall into the moderate category are:
Race for the Galaxy
Liberté
Small World
Civilization

Things that fall into the "endure pain, b/c I love you" category:
Axis and Allies
Descent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Søgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife dislike Descent as a 2-player game but loves it when we're playing 3 or more.

Have you tried letting her be both on the Heroes' side and on the OL side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was not much into this, but came around after agreeing to play the intro with 3 heroes. We don't play competitively though, that might have made a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife used to play Euros, but actually stopped when my kids were old enough to dispense her from playing.

Liking boardgames is a "genetical" thing.
I mean some people like and others don't like boardgaming, without any moral or fully rational reason.

It is like reading books and eating seafood: I don't think one can change the mind of people on those topics.

Just an advice: make kids quickly; wait about five years and hope that they are genetically oriented in a positive way towards boardgaming.
In my case, it is my third son who sticks to boardgames... I did have to wait, but I have been having a very nice time for about eight years now.
My first two girls are not interest in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
let her try the OL to see what its like, at least for one mission.
dont play it 1v1, and avoid attacking her as the overlord at first... my wife finds it jarring in games like mansions of madness, last night on earth, and descent to have attack cards play on her... she much prefers to play those cards on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
let her try the OL to see what its like
I know what it is like to have my wife as OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
and avoid attacking her as the overlord at first... my wife finds it jarring in games like mansions of madness, last night on earth, and descent to have attack cards play on her... she much prefers to play those cards on me.

Yeah, that does help. You would have to be less competitive and take enjoyment in playing the OL in a way that gives her an experience more suited to her.

Tom Vasal over at the Dice Tower has done a couple lists that might be of interest to you. They are a little outdated, but still useful.

Our Wive's Favorite Games (2005)
Two-Player Games with our Wives (2010)

You can also listen to the podcasts of these two topics:
Episode 189 is fun to listen to. You may want to skip to the end.

Edit: included the podcast information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a total non-gamer. After years of attempting to convert her, looking for any game she might like (shouldn't a cruciverbalist at least enjoy Scrabble), I've given up.

If you don't have kids yet, I suggest a trade-in. See what you can get for the old one at SpouseMax, then check out your local game store for a new model.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend completely hates Descent. At least she likes Runebound, DungeonQuest and Talisman...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has said she'll try it when I play over Skype with a friend of one with whom she loves to game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dustwhit wrote:
Tom Vasal over at the Dice Tower has done a couple lists that might be of interest to you. They are a little outdated, but still useful.

Our Wive's Favourite Games (2005)
Two-Player Games with our Wives (2010)

Dustwhit our wives must be twins... your love/like/endure list is almost identical

I'll definitely try and persuade her to try OL as she does like causing me as much pain as possible in boardgames. I took a look at Tom Vasal's list's we have a couple of them. We actually got to know each other over many nights with friends over Settlers... awwww....

Robin.. we do have kids... too many young ones which limit's our time considerably. My oldest son likes games but is probably two or three years off from being able to grasp Descent. I think I'm just going to have to wait until then.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.