Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Wiersema
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
When you have the pot, will the regular food that you have to eat at night heal you, or do you have to eat first and then use another food in order to heal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maudisalive wrote:
... or do you have to eat first and then use another food in order to heal?

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Answered in the FAQ. (And pretty obvious, but okay, it's a recurring question, so maybe it's just me...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Mr Mjeh wrote:
Answered in the FAQ. (And pretty obvious, but okay, it's a recurring question, so maybe it's just me...)

Wouldn't call it obvious as you could argue that by cooking the food in the pot it removes germs and allows you to heal as a result. I'd actually argue that it is more logical that you don't need to eat more food just better food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Can multiple players use the Pot to pay one food (per player) and each heal one heart?

Or is the pot limited to one player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all items can only be used once per turn, including the Pot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Mitchell

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mb
Once per turn.. For each player?

Or once per turn.... For one and only one player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckm1961 wrote:

Once per turn, total, so only one player can benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn i played this the wrong way! I thought that the food you were required to eat at night time ALSO healed you!

I noticed that the cooks fireplace item had some healing symbols on the card pertaining to food. I think it shows that when you eat food you heal 2 wounds (i c ant remember exactly... Its late and im tired). So does the fireplace make it so the food required to be eaten at night heals two wounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Damn i played this the wrong way! I thought that the food you were required to eat at night time ALSO healed you!

I noticed that the cooks fireplace item had some healing symbols on the card pertaining to food. I think it shows that when you eat food you heal 2 wounds (i c ant remember exactly... Its late and im tired). So does the fireplace make it so the food required to be eaten at night heals two wounds?

No, it also requires an additional food to gain the benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TurquoiseKnight wrote:
maudisalive wrote:
... or do you have to eat first and then use another food in order to heal?

This.

Not exactly. Yes, you have to have an additional food if you want to both feed and heal a particular player. However, the rulebook specifically states that healing items can be used at any time during the night phase.

In my game this evening, one character was near death and the other was very healthy. With only 3 food, we chose to use the pot and fireplace plus 2 food to heal one character 3 times. Then that character ate the last food. The healthy character went hungry and lost two health. I'm a new player, but this seemed completely legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It SEEMS like that would be legal because the manual does say healing can be done anytime at night. However i would this that you would ha e had to let the other player eat too because the rules also say that you cant opt NOT to do something if you have the resources. So in that case wouldnt you have had to feed both characters first because you had the food available??

Personally i would rule in favour of what you did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the designer has specifically said it can't be done, I'd play it that way. But as written, it does seem okay. Since we can use healing items any time during the night, the food is used up prior to the need for feeding. Then, when feeding starts, we are short one food. According to the rules, at that point I couldn't say, "Well, we will need that one food for tomorrow, so we will both choose to go hungry and take the wound." (Assuming we had a way to store the food overnight, like in a barrel.) There is no conflict right now.

I've only played twice with my wife, but I love it. We lost the first game horribly, but we won the second game in the final round in really good shape. It was a totally different experience each time! I admit I may have missed a clarification on this somewhere, but I read the manual several times, and I downloaded and read five or six different player aids and FAQ's in the file list. So I hope I'm playing it right! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The running joke with this game is that if you win youre playing it wrong!

I think the rules answer most questions. The book could have used better organization. I am confident now that i can play without making any major mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
The running joke with this game is that if you win youre playing it wrong!

Hah! Yes, I've seen people report on how "easy" the game is and how they always win, and it definitely makes me think they are doing something wrong. And after our first game, where we were getting hammered every round, I was worried that winning at all was near-impossible. That second game we got real lucky. The choices we made turned out to be exactly right, so we were just barely prepared for all the nasty surprises. Definitely not something we can replicate with any consistency as a lot of factors had to meet in just the right ways. Makes me eager for another go, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is very possible to win. Sometimes dice are a huge factor but i think a lot of the times its the way u prioritize. Some tur s ill have almost everyone build with one pawn and be willing to take damage, but for critical stuff i will guarentee it. Also, in castaways i usually build a shelter, roof and palisade asap to preve t against weather later on. All depends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Esselin
RĂ©union
msg tools
runtsta wrote:
chuckm1961 wrote:

Once per turn, total, so only one player can benefit.

Looks strange for me.
If you get extra food and a pot, why dont you Cook soup for everyone...

Once per turn per player (character if Darwin is there) seems thematiclly correct.

But I've seen that Ignacy tells once per turn "totally" :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.