Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Love the game, love the insert, hate the box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmcgillivray wrote:

2) I like to store my games standing up to prevent crushing and reduce shelf wear but this one has a tendency to open up easily when standing on its end if they other games are pressing against it.


Rumor has it it was designed that way so you wouldn't stand it upright so as not to spill the parts inside the box. If so, would seem it has met that goal.

I saw that somewhere and said, oh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it because it sacrifices functionality for form. It looks cool but fails as a box.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmcgillivray wrote:
danamark wrote:
kevinmcgillivray wrote:

2) I like to store my games standing up to prevent crushing and reduce shelf wear but this one has a tendency to open up easily when standing on its end if they other games are pressing against it.


Rumor has it it was designed that way so you wouldn't stand it upright so as not to spill the parts inside the box. If so, would seem it has met that goal. :)

I saw that somewhere and said, oh.


That seems passive-aggressive to me. :) I never have any trouble with things shifting but mostly because I left one of the waste pieces of cardboard in the box and everything fits snugly.


"Passive-aggressive"? You will be assimilated... The expansion will be the same kind of box. Lol.

Not real sure, think it might have been a Dice Tower review that said it was a design function and not a flaw? My box has a cut/not sealed corner which I thought odd and dislike.

I store my games flat, yes I get cupped tops. I really dislike opening a game and the parts are everywhere and a lot of times if the game is sleeved I just lift the insert and stick the stuff there, so flat works for me.

The worst game box I have seen is Mission Red Planet, if you think not being able to stand a game box upright is a pain, try a box that will not allow the pieces parts to fit back in the box after punching. MRP is the poster child on how not to design a game box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danamark wrote:
The worst game box I have seen is Mission Red Planet, if you think not being able to stand a game box upright is a pain, try a box that will not allow the pieces parts to fit back in the box after punching. MRP is the poster child on how not to design a game box.


Ah, but it's doubly evil as it's designed so that everything fits absolutely perfectly when unpunched. It's just salt in the wound where they're saying "Oh sure, we could design it to fit perfectly if we wanted, but we're not gonna." Yes, that insert had to go.

LOW is right up there though. I really think someone decided "Hey, let's do something different with the box top. I mean everybody make a box top that stays on right? How gauche! Let's play around with that."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the insert with a passion from hell. You can't stack the box in a bag vertically regardless of the lid coming off or not without the tokens tumbling. It's fiddely and unnecessary. Did I say I really, really hate it? Oh yeah, I did.

-Ski
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I hate the insert with a passion from hell. You can't stack the box in a bag vertically regardless of the lid coming off or not without the tokens tumbling. It's fiddely and unnecessary. Did I say I really, really hate it? Oh yeah, I did.

-Ski
This is one reason why these are so good:
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh look, yet another thread on LOW's box.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Curtis
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I bought this dresser yesterday but the design sucks. I have it laid down horizontally and I can't even use the drawers because they pull out straight down into the floor. Sure, if I were to stand it upright the drawers would work fine, but I insist on positioning my dressers horizontally in my bedroom. Awful design on their part!

On an unrelated note, I have about 20 games in my collection. Every single one stores well horizontally. Many of them would not hold up so well standing up. So I store and transport them flat. Seriously, you should try it. At least with this game.

I do understand the annoyance of not being able to nest the box top under the bottom. But it's not too hard to deal with. I for one love the design of the box and insert.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the box; it's a little different and I have never had any issues with storage, migrating pieces, etc. However, I understand that for other folks, under different circumstances (as described above), it is obviously 'sub-optimal'.

A bigger issue for me is not being able to fit sleeved cards in the insert (but that's a different thread or two or three...).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinmcgillivray wrote:
erikstanfill wrote:
Oh look, yet another thread on LOW's box.


Oh look, someone clicking on, then replying to, a post that doesn't interest them...


Nice. Well, be my guest then. Continue the flagellation of the deceased equine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, I have about 100 games or so, and almsot all of them are stacked vertically for easy access. The box of LoW doesn't annoy me at all (and I'm easily annoyed). Because everything is designed to neatly fit in there, I find it very easy to start a new game. As for the part where the rest of the box doesn't fit over the top: who cares? Just put everything aside on another table.

So, nope, I disagree. I think the box is original and even adds a bit of excitement for new players who just opened it and marvel at the contents.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.