Dave Noonan
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Solo, British win with 3 VP - Night 1 of 3

Played at lunch as I had set it up the night before. This is the first of a three night campaign using random defenses (flipped all the counters in the box and then laid them out using whichever side was up) and a bunch of optional and variant stuff (see below). Wind was SW with clouds over the coast and everything to the West.

The Bomber started in hex 8 and went straight ahead to Emden, turned to the NW and straight back to Britain. The low altitude bonus over the target was offset by two flak. The clouds helped them evade the fighters but were a hindrance over the target.

Options/Variants:
*All the optional rules except 3a/3b.
*Bomber at low altitude if attacking 1st city
*Mosquito Bomb Variant (ref this thread)

Solo, German win with 9 VP - Night 2 of 3

The Germans started this mission down 3VP. Wind was to the West with clouds along the top and bottom map edges with a smattering in the SW corner.

The Bomber started in hex 23 and went East, SE, East, East to Frankfurt where it racked up 28 points. This is by far the highest scoring bomb run of my recent games. Sadly, the 23 wasn't the total for the night but just what was gained over Frankfurt. The Brits were down 5 at the time so that netted them 23 and it was all down hill from there. The bomber exited to the SW over the guns in Ruhrgebiet instead of just going back to the West. After Ruhrgebiet it turned West over more guns. Did I mention there were four fighters West of Ruhrgebiet?, West again into three fighters but thankfully they were all out of fuel and turned back after that. Well, the Dornier continued as well as one that just refueled but the bomber dodged them with one last turn to the NW.

I thought the extra rules worked fairly well this time, partially because the inbound leg was near perfect. The outbound leg gave back all the gains though and the Germans had the wind at their back in chasing the bomber.

Solo, German win with 6 VP - Night 3 of 3

The Germans started this mission up 9 VP. Wind was to the SE with clouds over the entire Eastern end of the board.

The bomber started in hex 8, turned over the North Sea and cruised all the way down the North edge of the map to turn for Berlin and a 32 point attack. Unfortunately they were down 20 at the time having been harassed by the fighters all the way in. All four fighters converged over Berlin but one was forced to ditch as two of them were at zero fuel. The bomber initially headed for the North edge again but then turned back over Hamburg and then West to hex 18 where two of the remaining fighters, assisted by two flak, two searchlight and a radar, brought the VP total back into German territory.

Comments
I liked having the bomber go low although I'd prefer that it vary rather than being based on first or second city.

Nights two and three each saw the AI run a great inbound leg and give up all it's gains on the outbound leg. The AI really needs some intelligence. It only has three or three hexes to choose from so maybe a die roll with a modifier away from the hex with the most ground defenses?

For British medals (which I suspect I forgot to award several times) my rules were:
1) Eliminate searchlight or flak if it will save two or more VP.
2) Have the mosquito alternate them with bombs or target markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Always nice to see this game get some attention on the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.