Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Must I displace a scientist if I flip a proposal, or can leave it there (either my own or an opponent's)?

The reason I ask is that if I don't have a scientist of my own to place it's not to my advantage to displace an opponents one as I'd have to pay them a buck and they get a free science boost out of it.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my understanding you have to, regardless of the scientist's ownership. If it's yours, you'd need to spend a free move to him back over there fro your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Must I displace a scientist if I flip a proposal, or can leave it there (either my own or an opponent's)?

The reason I ask is that if I don't have a scientist of my own to place it's not to my advantage to displace an opponents one as I'd have to pay them a buck and they get a free science boost out of it.

You can't do anything to a project if someone else is there. You've got to pay them to go away before you can flip or build.

If your own is there, there's no "free displace". You can leave them there, or use your one move to move them elsewhere.

Flipping is completely separate from what you do with your own guys. You don't have to put your guy on a project you're proposing or flipping. It still might be worth it even if you don't have one to put on.

And, since you only get one scientist move, maybe you'd rather put your guy on project B, and not the project A you flipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

Thanks.

If you install/flip a proposal and your own scientist is there, you get no additional benefit. However, you don't have to give an opponent anything.

If your opponent has a scientist there, you must pay them and they get a free research point.

It's a balancing mechanic. It also gives you incentive to put scientists on things you don't plan on installing yourself so that you can force your opponents to give you some quick research points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also see it in this way:
You don't want a scientist of an opponent company, taking all the secrets of your work. So, you want him to go away.

Your scientist? No problem. He have your company know how. Just leave it there and keep researching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks all. Thematically and mechanically it now makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Walt Mulder wrote:

You can't do anything to a project if someone else is there. You've got to pay them to go away before you can flip or build.

If your own is there, there's no "free displace". You can leave them there, or use your one move to move them elsewhere.

Flipping is completely separate from what you do with your own guys. You don't have to put your guy on a project you're proposing or flipping. It still might be worth it even if you don't have one to put on.

And, since you only get one scientist move, maybe you'd rather put your guy on project B, and not the project A you flipped.

One quick point: I don't think you ever get a "free displace" in any case. Doesn't removing someone else's scientist use up your one "move scientist" minor action?

Actually, on second thought, it's completely ambiguous. The FAQ is explicit that displacing your own scientist to build a power plant consumes your one scientist move, but it doesn't explicitly say that displacing an opponent's scientist consumes your one scientist move, like I've been inferring. (I haven't played it yet -- I'm gearing up for my first play this weekend and want to get the rules right.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Doesn't removing someone else's scientist use up your one "move scientist" minor action?

No it doesn't. The displacement is a result of an install or build action, not your move action.

Quote:
The FAQ is explicit that displacing your own scientist to build a power plant consumes your one scientist move,

I need to read the FAQ again. The rules are explict that you may leave your own scientist on a project when you install it. That shouldn't count as your free move scientist action. At least that's not how we've been playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
The rules are explict that you may leave your own scientist on a project when you install it. That shouldn't count as your free move scientist action.

Correct. It doesn't use up your move scientist option to leave them there, because you already paid that cost when you used your move scientist action to put him there in the first place.

karat wrote:
Doesn't removing someone else's scientist use up your one "move scientist" minor action?

No, it doesn't. You pay that cost in money, not an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

Quote:
The FAQ is explicit that displacing your own scientist to build a power plant consumes your one scientist move,

I need to read the FAQ again. The rules are explict that you may leave your own scientist on a project when you install it. That shouldn't count as your free move scientist action. At least that's not how we've been playing it.

We are both correct on these points. Displacing your own scientist takes up a free move. Not displacing your own scientist does not take up a move. These two things are unrelated and do not contradict each other. Both are explicitly given in either the rules or the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks for the clarification. We were playing correctly then. I knew that displacing your scientist did count as the move but I don't think anyone has done it in our games unless they built on their own project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.