Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
He was going to fly over here from the US to spend his vacation like he does at this time of the year and bring along two gifts that I asked for which he does every year because my birthday is coming up in four weeks and he wants to deliever it to me early.

Now you all must of heard what happened on the news two weeks ago in Israel about Hamas and the arabs of Gaza firing rockets right? Well because of that my firend had to cancel his trip because it was unsafe to be traveling in this country when you are being attacked.

So he said, I should wait till someone else comes to Israel and have that person deliever the gift to me. And I said, why don't he FedEx or send it by Postal Service to me. He tells me that it will cost him a lot of money to send these two games and we have to worry about customs. and he thought what he can do is send it to his son, and then his son can foward it to me

Well, I gave him a call yesterday when it was morning time in America but his phone was off, it went directly to his voicemail. I keep trying to reach him but it was no use. I feel that something must have happened becasue he never turns his phone off. His job requires to be reciving lots of phone calls when something needs to be fixed. My only guess is that he is IN the country and didn't even told me. that is why his phone is not working. Otherwise something happened to him and I don't know about it.

I'm worried because he has my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith W
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this might be one of the most selfish things I have ever seen posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
I'm worried because he has my games.

I wish you had ended your tale with anything but that. Worry about your friend, not the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuurgle wrote:

You beat me to the punch while I was dithering over how to say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Williams
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
www.ormistonwhisky.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuurgle wrote:

Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh we're all familiar with the, erm, peculiar postings from Sir Isaac. I doubt he's trying to sound selfish.

We shoot rockets at each other over here too.

Your friend probably got hit by one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What games was he bringing you? That makes all the difference, I would say.

Hope his house wasn't hit by a rocket and the games damaged, I would be very angry about it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Because it's my birthday, and I wants it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit, nope, actually this thread isn't worth my time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear that your friend couldn't fly to Israel.

Don't worry so much about the games. They will come when they come.

To the others in the thread, remember that Isaac has a strong version of Aspergers (IIRC) or some other autistic-spectrum label. Keep that in mind before replying too harshly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

To the others in the thread, remember that Isaac has a strong version of Aspergers (IIRC) or some other autistic-spectrum label. Keep that in mind before replying too harshly.

Thank you for pinting this out.
Still lots of aspergers noted here that their social abilities improved and i think even he should be told, that a damaged games is nothing against a damaged person.
Plus if he had checked postal costs, (sApergers are quite intelligent) from US he would have noticed that its really expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
Epee wrote:
What games was he bringing you? That makes all the difference, I would say.

Hope his house wasn't hit by a rocket and the games damaged, I would be very angry about it too.

The games were Qwirkle and Lord of the Rings LCG plus two expension decks; Return to Mirkwood and the Hunt for Gollum. oh and I ask that he get for me some game for the Playstation

My guess is that he forgot the games on the front lawn and then a Rocket came and blew it up but the house was okay

Oh I know, the games were on its way being delievered by airmail and somehow the plane flew into a no-fly zone and rockets were fired

What else can I say? I don't know what's going on. I speak to him almost every week. I'd say how are you, hows the family, tell me whats new, what's your satus on your next trip to Israel. I called him Friday and it went straight to his voicemail. Last I heard from him was two weeks ago. That is when he said he's cancelling his trip but he will deliver the games somehow

and for those that don't understand, I have aspergers as someone posted it (thank you) and my expetations are rather high in this case. I had my hopes up seeing him this week and recieving the games. So if you think that I'm selfish, just remember how you would feel if you were expecting a game to be delievered and it never got to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve zhang
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

I used to have a classmate who had Aspergers. I never did anything to shame him on purpose, but I always told him off when he did something that was not acceptable in a normal social context, and that made me look pretty bad and among my group of friends, who said I was being harsh on him.

Having medical conditions is one thing, needing to be educated is another thing. Kids say all kinds of crazy things, but that doesn't mean that they should simply be pardoned and not educated to know what is acceptable and what is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you think that I'm selfish, just remember how you would feel if you were expecting a game to be delievered and it never got to you

Just so you understand everyone else, Isaac, someone without Aspergers wouldn't post a serious thread about it.

There might be a joke or two, but in a situation like yours, no one would post a complaint like you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you all must of heard what happened on the news two weeks ago in Israel about Hamas and the arabs of Gaza firing rockets right? Well because of that my firend had to cancel his trip because it was unsafe to be traveling in this country when you are being attacked.
I loled.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
He'd feel safer flying above the country from a distance? .. (No need to answer. This is the wrong thread.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is way beyond selfish and bordering on outright absurd and/or inhuman, Asperger's or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks we aren't all born with the same skill sets.
Not all of us our naturally skilled at understanding and empathising with other people.

This is a medical issue that creates social misunderstandings and problems.

Those of us who do not have this medical condition should use our skill set to better understand and care for those of us who do.
We are a community after all.

While educating the individual may be helpful, condemnation based upon the symptoms of medical issue they never asked for is not helpful and is far graver a transgression than their original misunderstanding.

(I work with some people who have different skill sets to my own. Occasionally I forget and get frustrated when they can't do things I take for granted. This is my failing not theirs.)

Can I suggest we move on.

From an Admin perspective:

Remember - if you see something you want to react negatively to, flag it and forget it.

Using the icon serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Issac,

I think I know how you feel. Last winter I ordered some games and was really excited to get them - I wanted to take them home some I could play them with my family over the holidays. I was really disappointed when it snowed heavily and I had to head North without them. Worse than that all through my holidays I didn't have my games.

The good news is eventually it all got sorted out. Still I was really annoyed at the time. Hopefully this won't happen this year whistle

As for your friend - there are lots of things that could be causing the lack of communication:
His phone may not be working, he might be avoiding you because he feels bad about disappointing you, he might be Ill (I currently have the flu) or he might just have ended up with loads of work to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have Asperger's syndrome. If I was waiting on the delivery of something I was really looking forward to getting, say two board games off my wishlist, and I suddenly didn't hear from the friend, I would probably be thinking at some point "I hope nothing bad's happened, and I hope I still get my games." But I wouldn't say out loud "Gee, I hope nothing bad's happened to my games" because I would be afraid of people thinking I was utterly self-centred. If it turned out that something bad had happened to my friend, I would feel bad at myself for having been so selfish, and I hope that the loss of the games would become trivial in retrospect.

I think it's good for Isaac for people to point out to him how what he has posted has come across. Not sure, though, that I would need more than one hand to count the number of people I have met in this life who are utterly selfless altruists, so I hope that with reflection people might condemn Isaac a little less for his heinous social crime, and understand a little more.

(Edit: What Liam said.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac, I think your friend and my Secret Santa are the same person because I haven't heard a peep out of him and I too am wondering when I might be seeing a game or two. It's my first time doing this secret Santa thing and it's making for the longest holiday season EVER. And here I was at 40 thinking I'd never again experience all the anticipation of my childhood Christmases again.

+1 for what Mr. Fallows said.

On a lighter note, this condition Asperger's really needs a name change. I regress to age 10 every time I say it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if you think that I'm selfish, just remember how you would feel if you were expecting a game to be delievered and it never got to you

The issue isn't wanting your games. The issue is you apparently wanting your games versus the concern of your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
quirogal wrote:

On a lighter note, this condition Asperger's really needs a name change. I regress to age 10 every time I say it.

You saw that episode of South Park too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When I saw this title, I was like, "I bet I know who... yup".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

The issue isn't waiting your games. The issue is you apparently wanting your games versus the concern of your friend.

Or perhaps the issue is Neurotypicals jumping to conclusions about what Isaac might be thinking and feeling, and getting it entirely wrong!

Unless you have, or are an expert in, Asperger's, please don't even begin to think you understand the way we think.

Because you don't.

We get accused of being "selfish", and "uncaring", and "unemotional", amongst other things, and it's bullshit!

People with Asperger's are amongst the most selfless, caring, and emotional, people I know.

It's you Neurotypicals that exhibit all the traits that you label us with.

Perhaps because we reflect the truth about yourselves back at you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.