Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was the starting player. I obtained and placed a few 'shipping' tiles early. I was the starting player the entire game.

Seems like this would be fairly frequent occurrence if I am reading the rules correctly.

How about in your games....does the starting player change much?

Follow-up question: are you supposed to reset the starting player for each Phase?....or is it just cumulative for the entire game (which is how we played it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
Follow-up question: are you supposed to reset the starting player for each Phase?....or is it just cumulative for the entire game (which is how we played it)?

see Placing a ship tile on your estate, back-to-back turns for a player?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And? Did you win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say that I've ever seen anyone stay starting player the entire game, but I don't think it's as a big deal as some might think. I recall teaching this once and a new player was last for the whole game. He was always last and moped about never being able to get out of that position and that's why he lost. I told him he was dead wrong. And the very next week, I played again with some other people and one guy ignored the ships and he won the game too.

Being first is a useful tool, but it's not critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny P The Voice
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

When I play my girlfriend she always go for the boats, I know she will, I focus on other things, use boats only to fill up a small section.

I dont think its good to stray away from you're strategy just to become the first player again.

I mostly play 2 player, so maybe with 3 or 4 it can become more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you don't reset start players each turn, just play in the cumulative order indicated on the ship track.

I've seen games go both ways - where there is heavy competition over ship tiles and start player, and some where it's broadly ignored. In a case where the ship tiles were hot with everyone except one player, I've seen the guy running fourth the whole game win by a wide margin (he focused on buildings and bonus knowledge tiles).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perrault

Greendale
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Come on come on come on come on TOUCH ME BABE can't you see that I am not afraid
mbmbmb
That happened to me today in 4 player game. 1st player avoided boats and got first pick of tiles for all 5 rounds ( he won). I was third pick all game and kept missing out on the best buys. Game was unpleasantly frustrating being 3 rd pick every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danperrault wrote:
1st player avoided boats and got first pick of tiles for all 5 rounds ( he won)

Maybe I understand you wrong. But I can not believe that he stayed 1st player all the time avoiding boats...

I´ve been playing CoB about 60 times now. Only about three games the starting player stayed the same all game...(but in two games he lost, because, to keep up first position he had to renounce other tiles...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasvik wrote:
danperrault wrote:
1st player avoided boats and got first pick of tiles for all 5 rounds ( he won)

Maybe I understand you wrong. But I can not believe that he stayed 1st player all the time avoiding boats...

Agreed. The only way for this to happen is if all the other players avoided boats as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.