Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know how sometimes you look at something you've seen a zillion times before, but see it in a new way?

I was at the Goodwill the other day, just browsing to see what else might be there, with four 50-cent games already in my arms, and I looked down on one of the shelves and thought "Hmmmmm...."

Here's what caught my eye:

It's just a nice eyeglasses case, but it's a rigid hard shell covered by a soft and smooth faux leather "skin", and has a very positive closing action, so that there is no chance at all of it coming open accidentally.

When you open the case, it looks like this:

It's lined with a very soft suede-like material -- it's meant to protect eyeglass lenses, right? So it's going to be very gentle on any game components stored within. It very nicely holds my set of Zombie Dice and Zombie Dice 2.

I haven't done much experimenting yet, but obviously it could hold a lot of different things; I think I'll test to see if it will hold my Hive Pocket set next.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's some good thinking!

*off to dig out all my sons old glasses from various draws*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Clark
United States
Tateville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
An interesting idea
I'd imagine it'd be better for games that don't require a random draw, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunscorch wrote:
I'd imagine it'd be better for games that don't require a random draw, though.

Yeah, there is that.... laugh

Truth be told, I have a bunch of the two smallest size Crown Royal bags (50ml and 375ml) for carrying my "games on the go", but the eyeglass case got me to thinking about games, or situations, where you want a little more protection than a cloth bag will give. I'm sure other ideas will come to me as I fiddle with it -- a small deck of cards? A sand timer?? Gaming on the go often requires compromise anyway, so maybe this case will open a different avenue of compromise.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been testing a bit more....

The case is not large enough to hold Hive Pocket, even leaving out the Ladybug and Mosquito pieces; there's just not quite enough room to juggle the rest around to make them fit.

A mini-size deck of cards fits quite nicely, and takes up just a little more than half the case, leaving a nice amount of room for something else.

The type of sand timer from Scrabble Express will fit, with plenty of room left over, but the type of timer with a wider base, like the one in Word Yahtzee, will not fit, because the case won't quite close.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.