Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Event Card Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This appears to be a seriously great game, but it has the same problem most card-driven games have--the rule questions raised by the event cards.

Here are mine:

#3: CTR: Place CTR in Russia, and, if Ally or Neutral, Central Asia.

Is this condition whether Russia is Ally or Neutral? Or is it referring to whether Central Asia is Ally or Neutral?

#5: NEST: WMD plots in the US are always face up. 1-player: If jihadists have WMD, all plots in the US placed face up.

In a 1-player game, are WMD plots in the US placed face up, as the first sentence instructs? Or is the card’s “solitaire game prerequisite” only met if the jihadists have acquired a Weapon of Mass Destruction?

In other words, in the solo game, is it all or nothing? Plots are never face up in the US unless the jihadists have acquired WMD’s, after which all plots in the US face up?

#11: Abbas: “Remove marker if a plot is resolved in Israel.”

I assume this sentence refers to the event marker one places in the event box. That would mean that Abbas no longer allows Quartet to be played. My questions are raised by the use of the word “resolved.” Does the plot in Israel have to be successful in order to be considered “resolved?” Does an unsuccessful plot attempt (jihadist die roll for plot fails) also “resolve” a plot in Israel? Does the US spending an OPS 3 card on an Alert “resolve” such a plot?

#18: Intel Community: “You may interrupt this Action Phase now to play an extra card.”

The use of “play an extra card” means that this event allows the US player to play 3 cards in one action phase rather than the usual 2 cards, correct? But how is the action phase being interrupted? It has to be the US player’s turn in order for him to play this card, so how can he interrupt his own turn? Because the jihadist player has already used his action phase, isn’t the US player really just playing an extra card?

#19: Kemalist Republic: “Set Turkey to Fair Ally.”

Was this card intended to be a double-edged sword? If so, why is it considered a US event? After all, if Turkey has already been improved to a Good Ally, doesn’t this card suddenly work in favor of the jihadist player?

#20: King Abdullah: “Set Jordan to Fair Ally.”

Same question. Although it’s not as helpful to the jihadist as Kemalist Republic (because of Abdullah’s Prestige/Funding effect), this card also works in favor of the jihadist if the US manages to get Jordan raised to Good governance…

#28: Sharia: “Remove a Besieged Regime marker.”

Can this event remove such a marker from an Islamist-Ruled country (like the marker placed by the Taliban event)?

#33: Benazir Bhutto: “Play if no Islamist Rule within 1 country of Pakistan. No jihad there. If at poor, shift to fair.”

Do the second and third sentences quoted above refer only to Pakistan? Or do they refer to its adjacent non-IR neighbor(s) as well?

#36: Indo-Pakistani Talks: “Remove marker if a plot is resolved in India.”

This card raised the same questions that I asked about #11 Abbas above.

#37: Iraqi WMD: “Use this or a later card for Regime Change in Iraq at any Governance.”

This sentence baffled me. Since the US only does a Regime Change on an IR country, what’s the point of this “ability?” And if it means that I get to choose “any governance” of my targeted country, why would I choose anything but a Good governance?

#39: Libyan WMD: Same questions as for #37 (Iraqi WMD) above.

#41: NATO: “If it deploys, remove it.”

Why would the US player deploy NATO if it only means he’ll lose it? Why not just say that NATO cannot move after it is placed?

#45: Safer Now: “Play if no Islamist Rule and no Good countries have cells or plots.”

Does this mean “play if there are no Islamist Rule countries and no Good countries have cells or plots?”

#89: Martyrdom Operation: “Play if a non-Islamist Rule country has a cell.”

In this case, does “non-Islamist Rule country” include non-Muslim countries that can’t be Islamist Ruled?

#93: Taliban: “Place a Besieged Regime in Afghanistan….”

Do I place a BR marker in Afghanistan even if it is already Islamist Ruled? Why would the jihadist player want to do so?

#119: Saleh: “If jihadist, shift it 1 box toward Adversary and place Besieged Regime.”

Does the jihadist place the BR marker in Yemen even if it is already Islamist Ruled? Why would the jihadist player want to do so?

Thanks in advance for your help!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, quick answers!
DSHStratRat2 wrote:

#3: CTR: Place CTR in Russia, and, if Ally or Neutral, Central Asia.
Is this condition whether Russia is Ally or Neutral? Or is it referring to whether Central Asia is Ally or Neutral?

Asia

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#5: NEST: WMD plots in the US are always face up. 1-player: If jihadists have WMD, all plots in the US placed face up.

In a 1-player game, are WMD plots in the US placed face up, as the first sentence instructs? Or is the card’s “solitaire game prerequisite” only met if the jihadists have acquired a Weapon of Mass Destruction?

Ignore the first sentence, only follow the second sentence. If they have WMDs them ALL plots inteh US are played face up, if not, NO plots are played face up.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#11: Abbas: “Remove marker if a plot is resolved in Israel.”

I assume this sentence refers to the event marker one places in the event box. That would mean that Abbas no longer allows Quartet to be played. My questions are raised by the use of the word “resolved.” Does the plot in Israel have to be successful in order to be considered “resolved?” Does an unsuccessful plot attempt (jihadist die roll for plot fails) also “resolve” a plot in Israel? Does the US spending an OPS 3 card on an Alert “resolve” such a plot?

A plot is removed if a 3OPs card is used, not resolved. Only remove the event marker if the Jihadists get to roll for the plot.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#18: Intel Community: “You may interrupt this Action Phase now to play an extra card.”

The use of “play an extra card” means that this event allows the US player to play 3 cards in one action phase rather than the usual 2 cards, correct? But how is the action phase being interrupted? It has to be the US player’s turn in order for him to play this card, so how can he interrupt his own turn? Because the jihadist player has already used his action phase, isn’t the US player really just playing an extra card?

But it can be triggered in the Jihadist's turn too, if they play it the event resolves so the US could play 1 card "out of turn".

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#19: Kemalist Republic: “Set Turkey to Fair Ally.”

Was this card intended to be a double-edged sword? If so, why is it considered a US event? After all, if Turkey has already been improved to a Good Ally, doesn’t this card suddenly work in favor of the jihadist player?

Yep, becareful!

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#20: King Abdullah: “Set Jordan to Fair Ally.”

Same question. Although it’s not as helpful to the jihadist as Kemalist Republic (because of Abdullah’s Prestige/Funding effect), this card also works in favor of the jihadist if the US manages to get Jordan raised to Good governance…

Same answer!

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#28: Sharia: “Remove a Besieged Regime marker.”

Can this event remove such a marker from an Islamist-Ruled country (like the marker placed by the Taliban event)?

Yep, it can remove one anywhere.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#33: Benazir Bhutto: “Play if no Islamist Rule within 1 country of Pakistan. No jihad there. If at poor, shift to fair.”

Do the second and third sentences quoted above refer only to Pakistan? Or do they refer to its adjacent non-IR neighbor(s) as well?

The first sentence is the restriction, the second and third are the effects. The effects only apply in Pakistan.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#36: Indo-Pakistani Talks: “Remove marker if a plot is resolved in India.”

This card raised the same questions that I asked about #11 Abbas above.

And it gets the same answer!

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#37: Iraqi WMD: “Use this or a later card for Regime Change in Iraq at any Governance.”

This sentence baffled me. Since the US only does a Regime Change on an IR country, what’s the point of this “ability?” And if it means that I get to choose “any governance” of my targeted country, why would I choose anything but a Good governance?

Because the Regime Change can be done at ANY governance, Poor, Fair, Good or IR (though no noe would do it at Good!), if it looks like the Jihadist will win with Iraq and the governance is Poor, you can still Regime Change with it, this card allows you to ignore the usual restrictions.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#39: Libyan WMD: Same questions as for #37 (Iraqi WMD) above.

Same answer.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#41: NATO: “If it deploys, remove it.”

Why would the US player deploy NATO if it only means he’ll lose it? Why not just say that NATO cannot move after it is placed?

To remove it to prevent loss of prestige is one reason. If a plot resolves in a country with troops the US loses prestige, NATO troops are still troops, sometimes it's better to lose them rather than the prestige.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#45: Safer Now: “Play if no Islamist Rule and no Good countries have cells or plots.”

Does this mean “play if there are no Islamist Rule countries and no Good countries have cells or plots?”

I don't understand this question, you're just repeating the restriction.
If the question is do I need to meet all the requirements to play this event, then the answer is yes. If that's not the question please clarify.


DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#89: Martyrdom Operation: “Play if a non-Islamist Rule country has a cell.”

In this case, does “non-Islamist Rule country” include non-Muslim countries that can’t be Islamist Ruled?

Yes.

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#93: Taliban: “Place a Besieged Regime in Afghanistan….”

Do I place a BR marker in Afghanistan even if it is already Islamist Ruled? Why would the jihadist player want to do so?

Yes, see wherever I answered this before at placing BR markers (there are a lot of questions here and I can't remember which it was!)
*looks below*
Ah! I answered the last question first, see below for that answer!

DSHStratRat2 wrote:
#119: Saleh: “If jihadist, shift it 1 box toward Adversary and place Besieged Regime.”

Does the jihadist place the BR marker in Yemen even if it is already Islamist Ruled? Why would the jihadist player want to do so?

Yes. It does not help the US player, it will only come into effect if the US Regime Changes, and then the Jihadists have 1 success already, making it a very bad prospect for the US.

And now I can't put off my real world duties any longer, hope those quick answers help!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best route to interpreting cards in GMT-style card driven games is to implement the card as written, and remember that the card text supersedes the rule book (6.2.2 in Labyrinth rules).

#3: It refers to Central Asia.

#5: A plot is never placed face-up (in 1 or 2 player), the US player must 'alert' the plot to reveal and remove it. The card has two parts; so in a 2 player game the Jihadist player would place WMDs face up. This clearly won't work in a 1 player game as the player will not know which plots are WMDs, so the card is adapted to place all plots face up (in 1 player only).

#11 and #36: 'Resolved' means unblocked by the US (by Alert or event) before the end of the next US Action Phase.(5.2.3., 7.5.3 Note)

#18: Yes the US is playing an extra card, but I imagine they worded it like that to avoid any 'oh you have played two cards, now Plots resolve before you get the third card' type situations. Also it can be played in the Jihadists turn, letting the US play a card there.

#19 and #20: Yes in cases where the country in question is at a better governance, the card is now useful for the Jihadist, these cards are double-edged. However the fact they are US events means the Jihadist could elect to play them as a '1st Plot' in a turn (and so not have the event trigger), if he wished to avoid the improvement of the Governance. I imagine, though Volko would have to verify, that this is the primary reason for them to be US events rather than Neutral.

#28: Yes it can, it says 'a Besieged Regime marker', not 'a Besieged Regime marker that is not in an Islamist Rule country', so you can remove any you like.

#33: Pakistan only.

#37 and #39: the point is to override the normal case where the US can only Regime Change an Islamist Rule country. The 'any governance' refers to the governance of the target country before it's invaded. As a result you may use these cards (or a later 3 ops card if Libyan or Iraqi WMD is just played for the event), to RC the country regardless of whether it is Islamist Rule or not. Both will normally be Poor Adversary and the Jihadist may not look to Jihad either of them, so this lets the US get his retaliation in first, so to speak.

Iraq is frequently a target for Islamist Rule, but is often the last country the Jihadist will try to get IR in, as it has 3 resources and is adjacent to several other good targets for IR. If he gets Iraq to IR last, the US has very little chance to react, so this card gives him an option.

#41: He wouldn't, and that is to show that the NATO troops are an independent fighting force, backing up the US, not under the command of the US. Note that NATO is a recurring event, so if the US used it to help get an RC country to Good governance, they have no further function. If/when NATO is played again in another RC country, the marker moves there to assist the US. The 'if it deploys...' sentence is to stop the US using it once, then having a free extra two troops at his command for the rest of the game.

There is also the plot/prestige issue of having troops in a country. The Jihadist may plot there, so the US has the option of 'deploying' the NATO troops to get rid of them, as they serve no further purpose there.

#45: Yes.

#89: Yes. A non-Muslim country can never be IR, and so will always be a target for this and other cards. The only thing to consider is whether is is IR or not, and whether there is a cell. The Martyrdom cards are the primary route for the Jihadist to place plots in the US and Europe.

#93: Yes you place it if Afghanistan is at IR. Only one Besieged Regime can be in a country at a time though. There is no downside to a Besieged Regime for the Jihadist so there is no reason he wouldn't want to place it really, although if the country is already IR the only function it will serve is to make the country easier to Jihad if it is invaded by the US in the future.

#119: Same as above, there's no downside, and the card says place it
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

#3: CTR: Place CTR in Russia, and, if Ally or Neutral, Central Asia.

Is this condition whether Russia is Ally or Neutral? Or is it referring to whether Central Asia is Ally or Neutral?


This one is fairly easy: Russia can not be allied nor neutral, it only has a posture. So the text must refer to Central Asia.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alex352 wrote:
Quote:

#3: CTR: Place CTR in Russia, and, if Ally or Neutral, Central Asia.

Is this condition whether Russia is Ally or Neutral? Or is it referring to whether Central Asia is Ally or Neutral?


This one is fairly easy: Russia can not be allied nor neutral, it only has a posture. So the text must refer to Central Asia.


DOH! Maybe this is why I've always played that card correctly. This is what I get for asking all these questions with the cards (but not the game board) in front of me...

In fact, I think I've been playing all these cards correctly except for Iraqi WMD and Libyan WMD. I've only been using those for OPS because the event text was messing me up so badly.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.