Popular Tags: [View All]
Tronhammer NZ
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tried out my two prospective Tourney lists on my mate, and also trying out some of our new gaming mats. It was quick and brutal - was very interesting seeing how effective these Imperial lists are.

X-Wing Tournament Practice - Game 1

Forces

100 Pts - Rebel Alliance Squad

X-Wing - Wedge Antilles, 38 pts (Wedge's Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Focus)
. . 1 Proton Torpedoes
. . 1 R2-F2
. . 1 Swarm Tactics

X-Wing - Biggs Darklighter, 29 pts (Biggs' Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Focus)
. . 1 R2-D2

Y-Wing - Horton Salm, 33 pts (Horton's Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Focus)
. . 1 Ion Cannon Turret
. . 1 R5-D8

-------------------------------------------------------------

100 Pts - Galactic Empire Squad

TIE Advanced X1 - Darth Vader, 31 pts (Darth's Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Barrel Roll; Evade; Focus)
. . 1 Swarm Tactics

TIE Fighter - Howlrunner, 20 pts (Howlrunner's Ability; Barrel Roll; Evade; Focus)
. . 1 Swarm Tactics

TIE Fighter - Obsidian Squadron Pilot, 13 pts (Barrel Roll; Evade; Focus)

TIE Fighter - Academy Pilot, 12 pts (Barrel Roll; Evade; Focus)

Using the 'Hothie' Formation, Vader and the Obsidian Sq. Pilot swoop in behind the others, their much-practiced formation making the most of the less-powerful but more numerous TIE firepower.

Bigg's special rule is that if I can, I have to target him, which keeps the heat of Wedge, the real damage dealer. This way, my mate could use R2-D2 to keep repairing Bigg's shields, while Horton and Wedge are left free to start ripping into the TIE fighters.

For my part, I used Hothie's Championship-winning list and tactics, which can be seen elsewhere. It's a good 'un! as you know, it involves close formation flying, to take advantage of Howlrunner's ability to reroll a missed attack die for every ship in Range 1, and Vader's ability to give an extra action to a ship within Range 1. It worked pretty well for a first try. Swarm tactics on Vader and Howlrunner allow the less skilled pilots to shoot before the rebels, which is a huge bonus.

As I moved up I used evasive maneuvers to limit the damage on my TIE's. TIE's do not have shields like the X-wings, so rely on agility. Vader used his target lock on Biggs, and with focus fire, managed to take his shields down. The resulting focus fire from the rest inflicted a critical hit, which turned out to be the Direct Hit, doing extra damage, and taking Biggs out straight away. This allowed me to switch to Wedge, who also went down quickly thanks to the re-rolls granted by Howlrunner. With only Horton left in a Y-wing, my mate had no more firepower to damage my swarm, and so conceded without doing any damage. Ouch! My dice were pretty hot, but I also think the plan went well, so this will probably be my tournament list.

X-Wing Tournament Practice - Game 2

Forces

100 Pts - Rebel Alliance Squad

X-Wing - Wedge Antilles, 38 pts (Wedge's Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Focus)
. . 1 Proton Torpedoes
. . 1 R2-F2
. . 1 Swarm Tactics

X-Wing - Biggs Darklighter, 29 pts (Biggs' Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Focus)
. . 1 R2-D2

Y-Wing - Horton Salm, 33 pts (Horton's Ability; Aquire a Target Lock; Focus)
. . 1 Ion Cannon Turret
. . 1 R5-D8

100 Pts - Galactic Empire Squad

A pretty gamey list this one, but one that must be tried once (and one that will be used a lot at tournaments by folks I think, as it involves a great deal of effectiveness from not a lot of effort). 8 TIE fighters. I moved up in two groups, hoping to focus fire.

I got another early death on Biggs, and was able to swoop round in a pincer formation, and it looked pretty bad for the Rebels!

Miraculously though, they escaped the trap, and in the resulting furball of TIE fighters, used the confusion to blast away four of the TIE fighters. The Y-Wing's Ion cannon disabled one, and it flew into an asteroid and exploded. Wedge was his potent self, dispatching the other three, including one TIE who got left by hisself;

But that positioning left Wedge with the other four TIEs on his tail, and he went down soon after. Horton managed to hold out a few more turns, and though the Y-Wing is a tank, it has no real damage out-put, and he too eventually bought it.

We had a good long debrief, and will probably swap forces for our next game, to get an idea of what it's like to play the other side.

Here is our second game board (2 of 8, more to come later!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two pairs of related questions:

1) Does Biggs last long enough to get value out of R2-D2? Have you tried/compared R2-F2 on Biggs and R2-D2 on Wedge?

2) With your 8 Academy Pilots squad, are you running a 96-point squad to ensure initiative? Why not have some Black/Obsidian Squadron Pilots in the mix to give you a combat edge over Rookie Pilots?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tronhammer NZ
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hiya

1. My mate's other list has Luke instead of Horton, but I've only seen him with R2-D2 on Biggs or Luke. I'm sure he will mix it up some more, and I will get him to try your suggestion. In these two games, Biggs did not stand long to the focus fire, but in previous games the healing shields kept him alive indefinitely. It's more effective against less ships.

2. I would have mixed it up for sure with some higher skill pilots to make the 100 points in an actual tournament, but I knew what I was coming up against in this test game(skill 5+ rebels) and the fact that it would have taken an extra 10 mins probably to fish out the appropriate cards etc, I went for the quick and easy route

An unexpected advantage of having all skill 1 pilots is the freedom in choosing movement order. With so many ships on the table, it really helps when you can choose what order to move them so they don't all overlap each other. Having different skill level pilots limits that freedom to a certain extent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Islaub
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

1) Does Biggs last long enough to get value out of R2-D2? Have you tried/compared R2-F2 on Biggs and R2-D2 on Wedge?

I've had more luck with this configuration as well. Biggs draws longer-ranged shots, which results in a +2 dice swing to his defense against every shot made outside short range... and R2-D2 gives Wedge another turn or two of shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tronhammer NZ
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Great suggestions, have passed them on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.