Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm wondering if there is a generic method or set of ideas by which to convert a multiplayer (3+ players) game to a game suitable for two or even one player.

I have noticed some four player games achieve this by getting two players to play two colours. Where winning involves meeting the victory conditions for both your colours.

Some of my thoughts, and I have no idea if these are plausible, are as follows:

- giving the two players different goals, for example one player tries to win, the other player just has to stop the other from meeting the conditions for a win

- one player gets the resources of two players but only the turn of one, and the other player gets a double turn every turn, making effectively a three player game

- two players play multiple personalities as part of a team effort (as mentioned above) - you could even have a "persona sheet" outlining how that personality reacts to different situations (e.g. will always take the riskiest approach or never spends more than half their resources in one turn), whether these are adapted to a specific game or generic I'm not sure

- in a game with scoring, one player plays as two players sharing information and strategy but not resources, the other player plays as a single player. If one of the personalities the double player is playing wins, they have to beat a high par score, otherwise the single player wins.

Any more thoughts on this? Or other places I could go for more ideas?

Any thoughts on generic solo player conversions? I personally like the idea of persona sheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of solo variants here to check out:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49479/soloplay-variant...

I suggest you take a look at what is done in some of the above and see if it applies to the games you're looking at converting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common methods I use for 2 player are...

1 dummy player
each person play a neutral color
Deduction (reduce options, # of cards, # of choices, # of available spaces, etc...)

I play ALOT of 2 player so I'm always game hacking for 2 play competitiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.