Subject: 6 Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at six player decks now, and having enough tokens from the base game to support six, I am wondering why there isn't another player board (and a sixth Raven token) in this expansion.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to make this game support six players, or am I missing something (too few Core Worlds, maybe, for six)?

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though there maybe enough cards in the sector decks to support six players, the value of going first is not decreased. If you want to play test with six players and figure out what it will take to balance the game for the 2 players which will have two fewer start turns, I would be interested in your findings. The downtime between turns would increase and the importance of each planet/unit/deployment would increase a great deal. The game would just take alot longer to finish. And two players might be playing at a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Sulik
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played a 4-player game for FOUR HOURS (okay, one player played CW for the first time and another one had a terrible AP, but a lot of time also went into reading the cards coming into the central zone) I would say, not taking into account balancing factors, that the downtime with 6-players would be unbearable for most of the groups. I wouldn't play CW even with 5-players, unless every player is experienced and playing very fast.
Yeah, and then there's this little problem with fitting everything on one table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Bloch
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
What's the rationale behind including the sixth deck, if you can still only play with five players?

Joe / GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greyhawk Grognard wrote:
What's the rationale behind including the sixth deck, if you can still only play with five players?

Joe / GG

Some of us REALLY don't like Simon the Fox... at least with just the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason we didn't enable play for 6 players is simply that the game would take a very long time to play, especially if you had 1 or 2 players with analysis issues. It would also be difficult to balance the ability to go first, even if you played with the Consul Variant.

But the game is technically playable with 6 (if you have an extra player board), and could be fun if you had a group of fast decision makers, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise!

The sixth Starting Deck is one we always had during our early playtests, and we figured it would add more variety to the game to include it. And as Chris mentions, it allows you to remove a particular Starting Deck if your group doesn't enjoy playing with that Hero.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, just seems like it would be easily expandable to six (some balance issues have to be taken into consideration, of course).

Whether that would work for every group is another topic.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azure Khan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here are some changes for 6 players:

- Player 5 and 6 each receive both an energy token AND may place one token on Galactic Senate. Alternately, they can place one token of their choice, but we find that energy + action was sufficient recompense for going so late. It also acknowledges that the value of drafting has increased, so going later in the turn order can significantly stifle your drafting options your first 2 turns.

- All players receive TWO follows for Core Worlds.

I welcome you to test it out and see how it plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Carlson

Boulder
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One interesting way to play 6 players is have two separate games but shared Galactic Orders and shared Core Worlds.
Kind of like the factions coming in from two sides of the core worlds.

Just play until Sector 5 and wait for other game to catch up.
Play Consuls rules with a twist: after you take a Core World you may spend 2 energy to increase the Invasion G/F requirements by +1/+1 for the othergame to take your Core World as consul on Round 10. Otherwise your two original opponents must follow Consul rules.
Or do a shared Central Zone in Round 10 (have to think about order when you combine though).

I think we are going to try this next time we have 6 show up for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Carlson

Boulder
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually played 6 players with split table.
It went fantastic!
Took only 3 hrs, the longest part was one table waiting for the other to catch up a round and the core world round with all 6.
We play a modified Consul variant that allows players to I vade the same Core Worlds in the same round and those invaded go away.
We did give player 5 & 6 extra 2/4 energy last round (it's a long time to wait and miss out on some prestiges ur the Revolution advancements helped.

We had so much fun we will do 6 again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
kmfdm wrote:
Actually played 6 players with split table.
It went fantastic!
Took only 3 hrs, the longest part was one table waiting for the other to catch up a round and the core world round with all 6.
We play a modified Consul variant that allows players to I vade the same Core Worlds in the same round and those invaded go away.
We did give player 5 & 6 extra 2/4 energy last round (it's a long time to wait and miss out on some prestiges ur the Revolution advancements helped.

We had so much fun we will do 6 again.

You, sir, are a brave, brave man. wow

Glad you had fun!

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.