8 Posts

Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » General

Subject: Experience using it as a Gateway game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Casson
Wales
flag msg tools
Does anyone have experience of using this as a gateway game? I have Ticket to Ride: Europe but i am likely to have 6-7 people including me round the table. My friends don't really play board games and if it is its monopoly. This having a family rules and co-op game play surely must help! If anyone has any games they would recommend as well as experience of introducing people to this world please do
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thomas Casson wrote:
Does anyone have experience of using this as a gateway game? I have Ticket to Ride: Europe but i am likely to have 6-7 people including me round the table. My friends don't really play board games and if it is its monopoly. This having a family rules and co-op game play surely must help! If anyone has any games they would recommend as well as experience of introducing people to this world please do

This would be fine for non-gamers. Most co-ops work well since the competitive nature of games is removed (between players that is) and the experience of the one teaching is a help to new players instead of hurting them.

Flash Point works well in this regard. Using the Family version is probably best if they don't game at all just because it removes a couple of layers of rules. But if they want to play it again, consider moving on to the advanced rules as soon as you can.

Just help everyone through their first turn and they should get it by the end of the first round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a gateway game for one of our gaming group members. It has become one of his favorites, and because of that experience he is now playing with us regularly.

It is easy to understand, easy to play, and the cooperative mechanics were really appealing to him. We used the novice rules and skipped the basic game, which was no problem for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mya
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Nac Mac Feegle!
badge
Please let your eyes adjust to the darkness.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used the family rules with my generally non-gaming family and it was very well received. They picked it up very quickly and, after one or two turns, stopped asking "what should I do?" and started contributing to the general discussion over what was the best thing to do each turn. They weren't letting or relying on me to tell them the optimal moves, a problem some people have with other co-ops.

I'm hoping to teach it to more family members over this upcoming holiday season and graduate them to the advanced rules, which I'm pretty sure they can handle.

So far my family's favorite game has been Ticket to Ride, but I'm hoping to get them to shift their affections to Flash Point instead, as it plays faster, even with a full complement of players and (crucially) I won't go insane if they demand to play it four times in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russell smith
United States
Manteno
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this game works great as a gateway because everybody is working together and the theme draws people in. in addition all of the bookkeepng of how the fire spreads can be handled by the experienced player and dosen't need to be explained up front.
I have even had kids as young as six join in successfully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Thompson
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this was a group of 5 other ~20 yr-old students, none of them gamers. By the end of the game we had another 10 standing around us all caught up in the theme and tension. You can look at the game and instantly see what the goal is and how you're doing. Coop is great as a gateway, as mentioned the removal of competition makes it tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-ops are great gateway games however this game max is 6 (and that's a lot). For your numbers, you might have better luck with some of the family friendly card games - Bohnanza, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Flash Point: Fire Rescue with non-gamers and it has gone well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.