Popular Tags: [View All]
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of making tuckboxes for a game. Now I need to create some boxes for hexagons and was wondering if there is a hexagon tuckbox generator or hexagon templates out there.
Or will I have to draw it manually ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatum wrote:
I'm in the process of making tuckboxes for a game. Now I need to create some boxes for hexagons and was wondering if there is a hexagon tuckbox generator or hexagon templates out there.
Or will I have to draw it manually ?

Do you want the box to be hexagonal as well, or just to be able to hold hexagons?

I'd probably go either for a rectangular box with triangular inserts to hold the hexes still, or just a well, like a box insert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the question is whether you want to drop the hexagons into the box "face down" or slide them in "edge on". If you want to do the former then you're going to have fun creating a lid that tucks nicely - you might want to check out some origami web sites for inspiration. If you want to go down the latter route then Bichatse's comments are very relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going for a hexagonal box. I already made two of them, but it's a lot of work. That's why I was wondering if there's a generator for these boxes. Guess not.
Back to the drawing board ! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this help?

http://www.evilmadscientist.com/2009/hexagonal-stacking-boxe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robby Timmermans
Belgium
Wellen
flag msg tools
badge
-- -- doesitplay -- --
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really since I need different sizes, but thanks for the link. Stacking boxes might be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatum wrote:
Not really since I need different sizes, but thanks for the link. Stacking boxes might be interesting.

I thought the image could be scaled to the size you need, and the side panels lengthened oe shortened to get the height you want. But if you're looking for something more like a playing card box, I don't know where to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin A
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be exactly what you want but... it's hexagonal and it tucks. If you want I can send you a higher resolution JPG. Or better yet, send the EPS artwork you can scale and modify to make it exactly what you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futilitarian wrote:
It may not be exactly what you want but... it's hexagonal and it tucks.

Am I missing something, or does the top hexagon get rotated around 30 degrees compared to the bottom hexagon in that box? I would have thought that would make it hard to place hexagons in it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin A
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
futilitarian wrote:
It may not be exactly what you want but... it's hexagonal and it tucks.

Am I missing something, or does the top hexagon get rotated around 30 degrees compared to the bottom hexagon in that box? I would have thought that would make it hard to place hexagons in it?

You are correct. The sides would need to be modified to make them perpendicular to the bottom and lid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin A
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The template I uploaded previously was off a CD-ROM that came with a book. The book is stored in a box somewhere so I wasn't sure what the finished box looked like.

Since I had the file... I went ahead and reworked the sides. This should be close to what you are looking for. It will need to be sized to fit the hex tiles, and adjust the depth of the sides to accommodate the height of the stack.

As before, if you want something other than a JPG let me know. I can save it out as a SVG or PDF.

A shot of the cut, scored, and folded paper box... and the original with the funky sides.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not simply upload the templates under one of the Miscellaneous Game Accessory entries that already exist? Copyright issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin A
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Why not simply upload the templates under one of the Miscellaneous Game Accessory entries that already exist? Copyright issues?

I uploaded this template for fatum to use and modify as needed if it would be useful to them.

Your suggestion is a good one though. But if I were going to do it, I would like to make templates that fit specific games. That way the box would accommodate the tile width and be the proper height of the stacked tiles in the game. I don't have any games that use hexagonal tiles. If anyone really needs a hexagonal box, send me the dimensions and I would be glad to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.