Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a group of 4 players thinking to get into something great, kind of wargame, kind of joy together for the feast of Christmas. This game comes up to our mind. When I check the poll of the no. of people suitable for this game, I am surprised to see it is not really meant to be a game for 4 players but 3 at best. It is even a game for 2 much better than a 4 players game. Curious mind wants to know why. Can someone share his or her experience with us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Rzepka
Poland
Gdynia -> Poznań
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
99% not recomand it for MORE than 4 players. For 4 players there's only 56% who not recomands it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because the downtime is huge with 4 players. First off, the game will probably take 5 hours but also there's a lot of time before your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one sole reason for the game being worse with 4 than with 3, 2 or even 1 (even for those who prefer multiple players to one): Game length. When you have to wait for three other players (and their turns aren't incredibly interactive for the other players), the game goes rather long - its length scales linearly with the number of players, and you're looking at anywhere from 4 to 6-7 hours for a full game with four.

You misread the poll though - 99% do mark it as "not recommended" for more than 4 players. For 4 players, it's "only" 55.6% that don't recommend it. Still the majority, but I would've been really surprised about 99% for four
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Casinghino
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In one word: downtime! This is a very long game even when played solo. Turns often take 5 minutes or more. With 4 players, you are looking at a 6+ hour game, most of which you'll spend waiting.

I have a few friends who don't mind 4-player. But if you decide to try it that way, make sure everyone has played a few times first. With 4 new players it could easily be a 10-hour slog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dodge
United States
Highland
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
We have a group of 4 players thinking to get into something great, kind of wargame, kind of joy together for the feast of Christmas. This game comes up to our mind. When I check the poll of the no. of people suitable for this game, I am surprised to see it is not really meant to be a game for 4 players but 3 at best. It is even a game for 2 much better than a 4 players game. Curious mind wants to know why. Can someone share his or her experience with us?

I don't have the game yet (getting it for Christmas) but I have been reading all of the posts here. My understanding is that each player's turn takes so long that, if there are four players, the wait for your next turn is too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is listening, this would be a perfect async game for iOS :D I'd be willing to play 4 player then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I taught 3 new players and it took us 5 hours from box open to finish. It was still a blast and time went by very quickly.

As others have said, downtime between turns is the biggest drawback. Each player must puzzle out their turn and it's difficult to do so before your turn as things (board, available cards, available mana, etc) change constantly.

Although I would prefer fewer players and solo, I would still play a 4-player game because this game is so awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
We have a group of 4 players thinking to get into something great, kind of wargame,

I wouldn't call Mage Knight a kind of wargame. Although there are rules for PvP it doesn't happen very often and although you shouldn't ignore what your opponents do you don't have to adapt your play that strongly as you do in most wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely NOT a wargame Lawrence, its horrible with 4, like many above has mentioned, I've played it solo and two players and between you and me it was the same fun solo and with two players. So don't bother.

4 players in Hong Kong? Play Mahjong

How about Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), it was the last 4 player game I played and it was a lot of fun. Sword of Rome, Successors (third edition), The Republic of Rome are all better choices.

Hey! Count me in and I will give you some 5 player options!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is quite unbalanced with 3, let alone 4. The 3rd, and, especially, the 4th player are left with little to nothing meaningful to do because the 1st and the 2nd player will get the best stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
It's definitely NOT a wargame Lawrence, its horrible with 4, like many above has mentioned, I've played it solo and two players and between you and me it was the same fun solo and with two players. So don't bother.

4 players in Hong Kong? Play Mahjong

How about Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), it was the last 4 player game I played and it was a lot of fun. Sword of Rome, Successors (third edition), The Republic of Rome are all better choices.

Hey! Count me in and I will give you some 5 player options!

Well, I guess we cannot play Mahjong in a club of wargaming.....downtime shouldn't be an issue for us, especially we are all newcomers to the game. I don't have Lords of the Sierra Madre (second edition), and I don't care about the subject. Sword of Rome would be a good choice 'cos I haven't played it for quite some time. The game is in the warehouse though. It takes me time to retrieve it back. We have played Successors (third edition) on many occasions already and so we don't want to play it again so soon with Alexander's body at hand. The Republic of Rome would be too complex, too long for the group. It is really an excellent game though. I have considered Onward, Christian Soldiers too but people seem not to be interested in crusaders thing.

Yep, I read the poll wrong. If the game sounds good, even though it is not a wargame, the group would still be interested in. 6 hours seems about right for an afternoon session too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those polls can be very inadequate...

For example, with 4 players who know the game well (or can learn well enough), who like involved deterministic games, who don't mind some time between their turns to think about their next move and observe what everyone else is doing, and have several hours to play... MK is highly recommended. Heck, even 5 players under those circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
The game is quite unbalanced with 3, let alone 4. The 3rd, and, especially, the 4th player are left with little to nothing meaningful to do because the 1st and the 2nd player will get the best stuff.

I don't think that's true at all. For one thing, you choose the tactics and turn order each time. And though on the very first turn there may be some advantage for the player going first to be able to kill the nearest marauding orc to gain a little fame, in the long term there are meaningful options and choices for each player that make much more of a difference than the initial turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not play this with 4 players.

There can be a lot of downtime between turns and it can be a fairly solitaire game experience.

This game requires a high level of commitment not only for the owner/teacher but for all those involved.

-
James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is long. But, it's also awesome. Fewer players is better, but if all of you know what you are getting into and have the time, I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stivers
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game with others! I would play it with 4 anytime. If you enjoy playing with your group then this will be a hit too. In fact I only play this game solo to learn the game better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the complaints of length stem mainly from so many new players. Someone who learns and plays the game at the local game store will undoubtedly come home six hours later wondering why anyone would play the game with four players. With at least one very experienced player at the table keeping people moving and immediately answering questions, as opposed to digging through the rulebook, the game is a little over an hour per player if people are slow.

With veterans at the table, the game can be very quick. I played a two player game with both of us knowing the game perfectly, and it was complete in less than two hours. I played a game with two other first-timers, and it was around three hours. You just need a "guru" at the table to answer questions. If find your group reaching for the rulebook more than once in a game, you are going to slow the game down. Everything you need to know should be immediately accessible via someone's brain and reference cards.

All my times mentioned are for the full conquest game with no PVP. With PVP, the game will be shortened significantly, as players will tend to end the round one turn earlier than without PVP. This is because it is bad to have an empty hand of cards when someone may attack you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this game.
I love this game.
I doubt I will ever play anything but solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
I own this game.
I love this game.

That's a shame since we are in driving distance of each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryken C

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
I own this game.
I love this game.

I am in this camp. I tried a two player game with my brother, and it just wasn't as much fun. I'd maybe try a 2-3 player game with people who had played it at least 5-6 times already, but that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played solo, with 2, and with 4 (2 total newbies). The game is long, but its still fun. With experienced players 4 would be totally fine. I would recommend teaching the game in smaller groups, but if people are okay with a longer game, and aren't terribly prone to AP then it works fine with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gian Le
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a copy of the original + the expansion and will be looking to start playing with 5 people.

From what i've read, 5 players seems to be a big no no?

We play a lot of Resident Evil DBG and countless hours of Heroscape so im sure it won't be too bad...right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for this sophisticated comparison, but isn't Monopoly (together with Talisman and tons of other games) having similar downtime with multiple players
And these are still very popular

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Giangsta wrote:
From what i've read, 5 players seems to be a big no no?

Start with 2 or 3 players, with the intro scenario or a Blitz Conquest. That'll take 3-5 hours easily, the first game at least.

When everybody knows the rules and can handle themselves without asking you whether a keep's occupants are revealed or not on day or night when somebody is standing next to it, then you can judge for yourself whether 5 players will work with your group.

Definitely don't start with 5 players at first. It's not only the total playing time that will be annoying, but also each individual player's downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.