Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Conclusion:

When I was younger and played video games, Resident Evil was always a good game and a good series. The story lines were never really coherent, but it was always well produced. I even enjoyed the movies, even though their stories are even less than coherent. Now I get the chance to play the card game.

I wouldn't say I had high hopes for the game, but I was hoping it would be good. For the purposes of this review, I am only reviewing the base set.

The main issue with this game is you need to build up your deck before you fight monsters, then when you fight monsters they should be no problem whatsoever. You don't really get a benefit for fighting the monsters (i.e. get stronger other than one bump in experience level one time), so you are better off waiting until your deck is perfect. The problem with this is that can take a long, long time and be very boring.

This game really needs something that forces you forward (and it comes in the expansions), but in the base game I wouldn't recommend playing with just it. This is a game that really needs the expansions or at the very least a house rule timer.

Components:

You get a box and some cards. Not a whole lot to comment on. The cards are of decent stock although there are some warping issues reported around the geek. The artwork on the cards are fine and look like the video game. All the information is clearly written on the cards. The game lacks wound markers which means you have to track wounds in your head or on paper (pain in the butt).

Rule Book:

While the rule book is longer (and smaller print) than necessary, the rules are horribly written. You really have to come to this site to learn how to play a few things. This is really bad for a licensed game like this where some buyers will not have heard of this web site. Shame really. I was really confused on whether you had to fight a monster each turn (according to geek that is not the case). Overall, just a poorly written rule book that while easy to read it will leave you with questions.

Flow of the Game:

You set up the game to have a mansion deck (bad guys with a few prizes inside) and multiple decks of cards (face up) that you can buy throughout the game.

You start the game with ten cards which you shuffle and 5 are drawn to you. You can use these cards to take actions, buy other cards, and/or explore the mansion (i.e. fight monsters).

On your turn, you can take one action, one buy, one explore (fighting monsters) on your turn and you play your cards to accomplish this things.

So, you play your five cards and choose what you are going to do (bought cards go in your discard pile), then you end your turn after using/discarding your card and draw 5 more cards.

Action: This is normally cards that have text on them. You do what it says: ex: trash a card, draw more cards, etc...

Buy: Some cards have gold on them. You spend this amount of gold to buy cards from the face up stacks (each card has a price on it). You can make one purchase per turn (unless you have cards that allow you to buy more).

Explore: You draw the top deck of the mansion deck. If a monster appears you fight it. For your guns, you must have enough ammo listed on the gun card. You added up the damage by your guns and subtract the health of the monster. If you win, you get the card and the "decorations" (VP) listed on the card. If you lose, you take the damage.

This is how the game works for the most part. Very easy, but very slow moving.

Should I buy this?:

Yes and/or no. If you are going to invest in the system and get some expansions I would lean towards yes. If you would only buy this box set and that's it, then no. You could make some house rules to better this game (timer), but I'm not a big fan of having to house rule a game to make it playable.

If you are a big fan of Resident Evil, I think you would get enjoyment out of this game vs a Dominion or other Dominion clone. The base game is an average game and not really that good. It could be improved by the expansions (reviews are forth coming), but the theme will carry it for some.

In the end, for now, it survives the purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Cooper
China
Troy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review!! While I really enjoy this game, I agree that the expansions make it better. Here is a tip from someone who has played this game A LOT: Don't be afraid to go in the mansion, even if your deck isn't "Perfect". Yeah, you'll get creamed a few times, but it is easy enough to get health back by using herbs and many of the cards in the base set give you extra buys so it isn't a wasted turn to buy them and using them does not take an action. With brand new players, this game takes a while, but if you go in guns blazing and take a few hits your character will level up faster and most characters have pretty useful abilities once they get a few decorations under their belt. Again, great review, and I look forward to reading more from you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorekbyrnison wrote:
Great review!! While I really enjoy this game, I agree that the expansions make it better. Here is a tip from someone who has played this game A LOT: Don't be afraid to go in the mansion, even if your deck isn't "Perfect". Yeah, you'll get creamed a few times, but it is easy enough to get health back by using herbs and many of the cards in the base set give you extra buys so it isn't a wasted turn to buy them and using them does not take an action. With brand new players, this game takes a while, but if you go in guns blazing and take a few hits your character will level up faster and most characters have pretty useful abilities once they get a few decorations under their belt. Again, great review, and I look forward to reading more from you!

Thanks! When I first started playing I thought if you died you died. Then, I learned you get your health max - 20 back. I couldn't understand why you died if you fight the "boss" and didn't kill him. This made more sense and helped me go into the mansion more. Of course, you can "will" yourself to win by waiting to go in the mansion until your deck is perfect. I realize this is not fun (trust me it is boring), but it is still there.

Thanks for reading my reviews. I reviewed a few more at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2410582#it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Kretzmann
Brazil
Jundiaí
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. I love this game and the expansions are certainly necessary for a complete enjoyment of the gameplay.

william4192 wrote:
Of course, you can "will" yourself to win by waiting to go in the mansion until your deck is perfect. I realize this is not fun (trust me it is boring), but it is still there.

The fact about spending time while not exploring to build your deck is that the other players can still exploring. I have played so many games and some players really enjoy build your deck first before explore (even me, sometimes), but until this, other players can luckly or even strategicly gain some decorations and leave you far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Gallatin
TN
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I both agree and disagree about the rulebook. Poorly written, which I have found to be the case with Bandai games (try figuring out how to play the Star Trek DBGs via THOSE rulebooks if you want a true study in frustration), so I agree there. Where I don't agree is in the design/layout; it's not easy to read, it's durn near impossible to read...especially when you have 4pt red font over black or over a grunge pattern. And there's one area where they show a gold asterisk to delineate which card combos are shuffled together and the 2pt asterisk associate with the cards is the size of a baby gnat. The company that laid out that book should know better than that.

RE: Gameplay - I like deck building games. A lot! So this was a lot of fun to me, even without the expansions. I'm a more aggressive player, so I go exploring a lot, which made the game more tense as I drew strong monsters followed by weaker monsters followed by the big bad boss to another weak monster. Never knowing what was coming added to my enjoyment of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.