Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Why can't we all just get along, man? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Avatar
And pass the dooby while you're at.

But seriously: how hard would it be for everyone on RSP to have a day of decency, in which no one is allowed to impolite? It'd be really refreshing to see a politics thread in which no one can settle into the old armchair o' rage - y'know, calling anybody you disagree with fuckwits, libretards, that kind thing. This way, we could actually have constructive debates, not negative, soulsucking orgies of anger. No rage, no hating, no hurt feelings, and general niceness. Kumbaya and all that jazz.

I suppose it's too much to ask, really.

~Euen
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If that was what some RSP'ers wanted you might have a point. But nth fact is some here do not come to discus, they come to preach. And if they re criticised or questioned get nasty as their firmly held beliefs are being challenged.

Remember it's OK to sacrifice someone else sacred cows, it's only mine that is truly inviolate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote one of the great philosophers of our time:
DMX wrote:
Don't start nothin, it won't be nothin.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people get along fine most of the time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
I only get impolite when provoked, you stupid fuckwit.


braveheart101 wrote:
libretards
That's a new one, I like it. It has a South American revolutionary ring to it.


Now the fake rude response was so obvious.

I'll have to rate it a 3.7.

Now.. if you had said, "stupid git" there would have been a bit of cultural reference there and I could go as high as a 5.7.

---

I don't think of most RSPers as mean. Just open. And sometimes really really mistaken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I once started frequenting an academically inclined forum. Wow, what a difference. I didn't stay there too long and I just lurked. I was really out of my depth.

What I observed is:

1. No snark.
2. People stayed on topic.
3. Posts were much, much longer than here, with full, rich paragraphs (I automatically break up my paragraphs even when it is not grammatically necessary. Otherwise, people complain that the post is too long, "not concise", etc. Three sentencs is about the RSP limit.).
4. No ad hominem.

The average post was about four nice fat paragraphs.
.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Avatar
tscook wrote:
My ~effort posts~ go other places, RSP is where I go to shit in public.


This explains a lot.

~Euen
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I once started frequenting an academically inclined forum. Wow, what a difference. I didn't stay there too long and I just lurked. I was really out of my depth.


Well, you're clearly out of your depth here, too. Your next stop should be 4chan.org.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I once started frequenting an academically inclined forum.


What website was it? I haven't really put in the effort to find one, but I'd really like to visit a forum where well reasoned debate between left and right political ideologies takes place.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I spend a lot of time on another message board that has a very, very small monthly fee to join. It's amazing what just a small cost does to keep out the trolls and elevate the conversation. The biggest trolls we have are the libertarians, and they're usually too high to cause too much trouble.



"But I won't pay another red cent to the GOVERNMENT, DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL!!! OBAMA!!!!!!!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I spend a lot of time on another message board that has a very, very small monthly fee to join. It's amazing what just a small cost does to keep out the trolls and elevate the conversation. The biggest trolls we have are the libertarians, and they're usually too high to cause too much trouble.


Truly, echochamber.com is an amazing bargain!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I spend a lot of time on another message board that has a very, very small monthly fee to join. It's amazing what just a small cost does to keep out the trolls and elevate the conversation. The biggest trolls we have are the libertarians, and they're usually too high to cause too much trouble.



This would be too easy. I'm just going to let it go. Deep breath.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FuckScrew you, Dave. Low-hanging fruit is a gift from God that you spurn at your own risk.

Self-moderation is so lovely.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
FuckScrew you, Dave. Low-hanging fruit is a gift from God that you spurn at your own risk.

Self-moderation is so lovely.


Low-hanging Fruit is my Wham! cover band. (That one works on so many meta levels. I'm really quite pleased with myself.)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing New About That is my Dan Schaeffer cover band.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Nothing New About That is my Dan Schaeffer cover band.


The Dan Schaeffer bass/flute/Dave-banging-on-a-coffee-can-with-an-old-spoon trio? I love their early stuff.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
Nothing New About That is my Dan Schaeffer cover band.


The Dan Schaeffer bass/flute/Dave-banging-on-a-coffee-can-with-an-old-spoon trio? I love their early stuff.


Yeah, they were great until they sold out to Maxwell House.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Because this is almost relevant to this thread: I'm beating the hell out of young people all over the internet in AC3 MP right now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Because this is almost relevant to this thread: I'm beating the hell out of young people all over the internet in AC3 MP right now.


I played a co-op game by accident yesterday (you know, while you assholes were ignoring my request?) and it was interesting. I won, so it's obviously the best possible game mode.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few of those. They are kind of fun. The event that started up now involves doing naval battles in the single player game. I'm going to do that for the rest of the afternoon, I think.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
Because this is almost relevant to this thread: I'm beating the hell out of young people all over the internet in AC3 MP right now.


I think I've learned more history from the Assassin's Creed games than anywhere else.

What platform are you playing on? I'm on XBox if anyone would be interested in an RSP team up.


Fuck yeah. My profile has my gamer tag. Friend me and we can kill each other later. Or collude to just kill Josh, over and over and over again.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, Dan, it's not like everybody hasn't said time and again that they put their gamer tags in their profiles! Pay some damned attention. (And help me frag Dave and Dan S. repeatedly.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
I played a few of those. They are kind of fun. The event that started up now involves doing naval battles in the single player game. I'm going to do that for the rest of the afternoon, I think.


Trying to do the ships killed thing seems like a waste. There will only be two winners: a randomly chosen guy and whoever kills the most ships.

In order to make the first one is dumb luck and the other one is a lost cause because there is always some dude who is willing to spend more time doing tedious grinding than you.


I have almost nothing but time. I'm the guy they make that shit up for.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
And pass the dooby while you're at.

But seriously: how hard would it be for everyone on RSP to have a day of decency, in which no one is allowed to impolite? It'd be really refreshing to see a politics thread in which no one can settle into the old armchair o' rage - y'know, calling anybody you disagree with fuckwits, libretards, that kind thing. This way, we could actually have constructive debates, not negative, soulsucking orgies of anger. No rage, no hating, no hurt feelings, and general niceness. Kumbaya and all that jazz.

I suppose it's too much to ask, really.

~Euen


Not to rain on the parade but 'conservatards' has a much better ring to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What the hell? Look out, Dan! That guy has a Shivan Dragon!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.