Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you so desire, check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-revie...

Conclusion:

The Resident Evil "core set" was a little bit of a disappointment to me mainly in the way it lasted so long because it was never in your best interest to explore until you were unbeatable. Outbreak has devised a mechanism to fix this. To me, Outbreak lives and dies on whether this "fix" fixes the main complaint (but not the only complaint) in the game.

At its core, this system/game still lives and dies on theme. If you love Resident Evil, the game becomes instantly better. I'm a little surprised this game has made it to so many expansions, but this expansion makes it infinitely better. Allow me to explain.

The main different (other than more characters, items, monsters, etc) is the infection mechanic. If you do not explore (i.e. fight monsters), then you take an infection card. If you get 10 such cards (some actions allow you to "cure" yourself of infection cards), you die and turn into a zombie (more on this later). So, this is a timer to end the game and force you to explore earlier. My main problem with this is the main villain/boss, who you have to kill to win, can honestly kill you with one hit. So, it is sort of a catch 22. I guess at least you die faster.

So, you get infection cards and they get to 10 you die and become a zombie. At this point you can attack other players, but not a ton to do (compared to a non-infected). Even so, it is a neat addition to the series and one I am unlikely to play without.

One last comment. This is the first expansion that is not a stand alone. You need either the "core" set or Alliances to play this (and you can play with all three if you so desire).

Overall, this is a must have for this series and it survives the purge as long as I keep the series. On last side note, as soon as my wife saw the game she said she wanted to play it. That never happens (for what it is worth).

Components:

You get some counters (finally!) and more cards (yea!). You also get some card dividers (still none for "core" set and Alliances). The cards are like the other sets in quality (good, not great) and have the same art work (from the video games). Overall, I'm happy with the quality of the components. It is odd this game is a box of cards inside a bigger box. I can't figure out for the life of me why (expect perhaps to fit the rule book.

Rule Book:

The rule book is better than the book in the "core" set. Of course, that is not saying much. That is like saying "I'd rather eat a shoe than what is on the bottom of the shoe". The rule book is more clear, but still leaves questions that I had to check the internet for and I had to make some guessing. Sometimes I guessed, played the game and decided that didn't make sense. Perhaps if I had stayed with the rules longer, everything would have been clear. The book is just disorganized to me. Even so, you can figure this game out and play it. It is by far not the worst book and you can start playing with one read through. You may just have questions about certain instances during the game.

Flow of the Game:

You get 10 starting cards. Shuffle. Deal 5 to you. These 5 allow you to do the following per turn:

1 Action
1 Buy
1 Explore

Action: Play a card and do what it says (some cards allow you to have more actions).

Buy: Add up the gold on cards and buy a card from those provided for your adventure.

Explore: Take the top card of the mansion deck and fight the monster. You fight by adding up the damage on all the weapons (that you have ammo for) and subtract the health of the monster. If you win, you take the card and get VP. If you lose, you take damages (yea for counters!).

If you choose not to explore, you take an infection card. 10 infection cards means you die and become a zombie.

Should I buy this?:

I would not play the Resident Evil game without it. If you have the game, want to play the game, or are thinking about playing the game, you have to get this expansion. Without this expansion, you will not like this game (series/system).

With this expansion (and really that's what I'm reviewing), I would buy this. Is it better than other deck builders? No, it is not the best. But it is Resident Evil! If you like Resident Evil, this expansion is pretty good. I like the tension of the ticking time clock (infection cards) and it forces you to move forward, not just sit and make your deck better.

Overall, this survives the purge and makes the game system way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this review, Jayson. I've often thought about getting an expansion for RE, and it looks like if I do this is the one to get. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Thanks for this review, Jayson. I've often thought about getting an expansion for RE, and it looks like if I do this is the one to get. cool

By Far, in my mind this is the one to get. Mercenaries would be next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy McFlippy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a house rule can fix your main gripe with the game.

For Example:

At the beginning of your turn, your character gains a danger counter. When you gain the third counter remove them from your play area, and you must explore the mansion this turn. Whenever you explore the mansion remove all Danger Counters from your character.

Basically, if you let the counters build up you will be forced to enter the mansion. At any time you explore the mansion on your own accord you lose any danger counters you may have built up and they begin to accumulate again on your next turn.

Just a thought. Could this work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, something like this would work. I'm not big on house rules for games in general. I like playing by the rules in the box and with so many great games to choose from, I don't want to fix games.

bigtoepink1 wrote:
Maybe a house rule can fix your main gripe with the game.

For Example:

At the beginning of your turn, your character gains a danger counter. When you gain the third counter remove them from your play area, and you must explore the mansion this turn. Whenever you explore the mansion remove all Danger Counters from your character.

Basically, if you let the counters build up you will be forced to enter the mansion. At any time you explore the mansion on your own accord you lose any danger counters you may have built up and they begin to accumulate again on your next turn.

Just a thought. Could this work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.