Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our office is doing the adopt a family program again this year, and one of the children wants board games. Unfortunately, the office is giving him stuff like Candyland. I would like to save him and show him that there are better games for his age group. I need game suggestions for what could be fun for him and most importantly easy enough that a non gamer can understand and teach the rules to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Waldbauer
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For non-gamer teacher of rules, the length of the rulebook is really important. If it weren't I'd suggest Flash Point: Fire Rescue (rulebook is a little long, mostly due to advanced rules you don't play by for family game).

With that in mind, the old stalwart Ticket to Ride seems solid to me!

1. Appealing theme for that age.
2. Rules are very easy, and the rulebook is well written.
3. Has pretty good depth for the rules complexity, but you don't have to be good to have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was another thread recently (I will try to dig it up) with a similar question, though I think the age was 12 and not 9.

In that thread King of Tokyo was the most recommended.

Edit: Can't find the thread.. It was someone asking on his/her mother or grandmothers behalf on a game recommendation for a charity thing at the church, where all the less fortunate kids hung up a sock with a request. And they'd picked someone wanting a board game. I think the age was 12, but could have been 10 or 11 too.

Maybe someone else can find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all of MitchellW's comments. In that vein, I would suggest considering themed abstracts such as:
Hey, That's My Fish!, Qwirkle or Tsuro

or dexterity games such as:
Animal Upon Animal, Make 'n' Break, or Sorry! Sliders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chupacabra: Survive the Night

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digger Cook
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candyland for a 9 year old? shake

You must save this kid Dave!

9 might be old enough to read the rules and explain them to the family.

I'm thinking something dungeony would be good. Mice and Mystics maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo is a fantastic game for kids. It is one of my son's favorites, and I know several other parents whose children enjoy it immensely as well. My son just turned 8, but we have been gaming together since he was little, so there is that to take into consideration.

Also, any of the Lego games, but especially The Heroica series, are pretty guaranteed to be hits.

Best of luck with this!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tweeeet and Star Wars: Battle of Hoth are also games that work fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor kid, nine years old getting Candyland

My son is nine. Most importantly, the game you select needs to be something that the kid would learn on his own. I suggest Sorry! Sliders.

If there is an adult willing to play and teach a new game, I also suggest Catacombs, Forbidden Island, Castle Panic, and as someone else has already mentioned Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z. Martin
United States
Moscow
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Numbers League, Tiki Topple, Jamaica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z. Martin
United States
Moscow
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Survive! A household favorite, here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At 9 years old, anything but Candyland.

Stuff I've had success with kids at vacation care centres

Qwirkle
Monopoly Deal
Wizardology and other -ology games
Munchkin
Pictureka
Pictureka cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon!

Hooray for Dungeon! Just re-released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faville wrote:
Dungeon!

Hooray for Dungeon! Just re-released.

Much as I would love to play Dominant Species or Combat Commander: Europe with her, for now my 9 year old loves Dungeon!, too. It has dice (fun), monsters (more fun), and treasures to be revealed (super fun). I don't think its appeal is long lasting but it's easy and fun. And under 20 bucks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride, Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
My main gaming partners are 8 & 10, we game a couple of times a week. Their top 10 games in order are:

Mice & Mystics
Ticket To Ride Europe
7 Wonders
Galaxy Trucker
Small World
Dixit
Bohnanza
Stone Age
Space Alert
Pandemic

The 10yo girl likes euroy games where she can build a strategy without too much screwage - she likes 7 Wonders and Ticket To Ride (The stations make Europe much, much more kid friendly, we play with stations on any TTR map we play)

The 8yo boy likes conflict games. His favourites are Mice & Mystics and Small World. He doesn't like the co-ops like Pandemic because he doesn't feel like he is even playing if he is told what to do.

For kids I would go for theme first, it really hooks them into a game, then a suitable kid friendly mechanic. TTR Europe would always be my first buy for any prospective gamer. I am buying these kids for Xmas and their birthdays, X-Wing Miniatures, Risk Legacy, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 9 year old should easily be able to handle:

Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island
Defenders of the Realm (although probably too expensive)
Summoner Wars
Mice & Mystics (again, maybe too expensive)
King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic D
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveCole wrote:
I need game suggestions for what could be fun for him and most importantly easy enough that a non gamer can understand and teach the rules to him.
(Underline added by me.)

What concerns me in some of the recommendations is the lack of consideration of the context.

If you know the family and they are interested in learning a whole new way of gaming than is typical of mass market games -- great! Any of the suggestions sound like real options.

However, most people have little patience for learning more than a very few, simple rules.

Dominic Crapuchettes wrote an article about developing Wits & Wagers Party after watching the experience of people playing regular Wits & Wagers. Many adults, college-educated adults, told him that Wits and Wagers was the most complicated game they had ever seen and couldn't get past the concept of pay-outs based on odds. So met the needs of his target audience; he adjusted the game rules

This has gotten long, but I want to emphasize, if you want the game actually played, consider carefully the ease which the game is taught and learned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
DaveCole wrote:
I need game suggestions for what could be fun for him and most importantly easy enough that a non gamer can understand and teach the rules to him.
(Underline added by me.)

What concerns me in some of the recommendations is the lack of consideration of the context.

If you know the family and they are interested in learning a whole new way of gaming than is typical of mass market games -- great! Any of the suggestions sound like real options.

However, most people have little patience for learning more than a very few, simple rules.

Dominic Crapuchettes wrote an article about developing Wits & Wagers Party after watching the experience of people playing regular Wits & Wagers. Many adults, college-educated adults, told him that Wits and Wagers was the most complicated game they had ever seen and couldn't get past the concept of pay-outs based on odds. So met the needs of his target audience; he adjusted the game rules

This has gotten long, but I want to emphasize, if you want the game actually played, consider carefully the ease which the game is taught and learned.

Agree with this.

Also consider that although 9, the child may be operating lower literacy/numeracy wise (or higher). Along with other family members.

That said Candyland is not a great option. You said "stuff like" candyland was being offered by others, do you know what some of those are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cole
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of Friday it was just a copy of Candyland. The only information I have on the child is that it is a single parent household that is not doing well economically right now. I will never have contact with them so there would be no chance of me explaining or teaching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toni Laver
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the recommendations for Forbidden Island and Castle Panic, the last one especially is attractive to boys in this age group - my nephew is hooked! Do you think he would have access to the internet? Perhaps you could provide him with a link or two to youtube clips that can give you a very good idea of how to play? This site has pretty good reviews that provide a good overview of how the games works ... http://www.gameswithhayden.com/Type-Family.html . It might give you some more ideas too.

I also think Dixit is worth considering, it's very simple, kids love it and it is a good game to bring people together.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveCole wrote:
As of Friday it was just a copy of Candyland. The only information I have on the child is that it is a single parent household that is not doing well economically right now. I will never have contact with them so there would be no chance of me explaining or teaching.

With this in mind I think you should be looking for something that is:

*Playable by two players (or even 1 player)
*Requires limited reading
*Offers a challenge to a prmary school student

I think out of the suggestions so far some good ones are:

*Forbidden Island
*Castle Panic
*Pictureka Card Game
*Ticket to Ride (maybe)

Also some of the lego board games are decent and if they don't like the games, they are still lego!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im a tad surprised at all the suggestions for Ticket To Ride. Yeah, its a good game, but how many 9 year olds really are going to say "WOW...I gotta big map!!! How cool". Using dice to attack monsters (King of Tokyo) seems much more likely to tickle the fancy of a 9 year old. I also agree that Hey, That's My Fish! is a great suggestion. Its really a neat strategic game using penguins in humorous poses to draw in the kids.

And of course you cannot go wrong with the tried and true Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (trying to escape a sinking island whilst avoiding whales and sea monsters), which has been taking kids a level or two past Monopoly for 30 years now. Its a classic for kids for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Im a tad surprised at all the suggestions for Ticket To Ride. Yeah, its a good game, but how many 9 year olds really are going to say "WOW...I gotta big map!!! How cool". Using dice to attack monsters (King of Tokyo) seems much more likely to tickle the fancy of a 9 year old. I also agree that Hey, That's My Fish! is a great suggestion. Its really a neat strategic game using penguins in humorous poses to draw in the kids.

And of course you cannot go wrong with the tried and true Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (trying to escape a sinking island whilst avoiding whales and sea monsters), which has been taking kids a level or two past Monopoly for 30 years now. Its a classic for kids for a reason.

You'd be surprised how many 9 year olds think trains are cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.