Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Game "Safe" Snack Foods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K. Sorbo
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I imagined this was already discussed, but searched and couldn't find it.

What are your suggestions for best snack foods to have to reduce the grease/damage to games?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what kind of fruits are available in your part of Canada but I serve grapes/strawberries, cashews nuts, dry corn chips with salsa (less messy than usual dips) and nice well formed cookies.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretzels, gummy candies, varieties of shelled chocolates, unsalted and otherwise unflavored nuts, and raw vegetables.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
I don't know what kind of fruits are available in your part of Canada but I serve grapes/strawberries, cashews nuts, dry corn chips with salsa (less messy than usual dips) and nice well formed cookies.


Canada is way too exotic of a country for those types of foods.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Licorice and not buttered popcorn are my go to snacks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Doritos and sour cream and onion chips. And other kinds of chips.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At every game table we always have peanut M&M's, regular M&M's, and salted mixed nuts. In the kitchen we will have a variety of foods and desserts, which are often taken to the gaming tables, but people are good about using napkins, etc. so it's not a big deal. Beverages are always left off of the gaming tables though, as those would possibly cause the most damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Pocky. It's a Japanese snack food but it has gotten some fairly mainstream distribution in recent years. It's cookie sticks with chocolate on one part but the 'handle' is clean. Very tasty and leaves no residue on hands.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretzels, Hot Tamales candies, M&Ms, Ike & Mike, unroasted nuts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Almonds, dried fruit.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually order pizza halfway through the night and take a break to eat andwash up. IIt's not snacking, but it fills you up and gives us time to talk about stuff like the games or whatever.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
The tears of your enemies.

Wait, that's just a drink. Sorry!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Cardboard! No grease. No sauce. And it actually fills you up!

If it's good enough for my dachshund it's good enough for my friend Philip!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We setup a Fry-Daddy in the middle of the table and make crab rangoon between turns.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jesb wrote:
We usually order pizza halfway through the night and take a break to eat andwash up. IIt's not snacking, but it fills you up and gives us time to talk about stuff like the games or whatever.


A geek after my own heart.... if no one else had said as much, I was going to write that any food is safe, if we take a break away from the game table to enjoy it!

If you have snacks at the table, you will have snaccidents sooner or later, and it's just not worth it, especially when a break from the game is refreshing all on its own, as well as letting everyone fully enjoy a hearty and tasty snack.

After everyone has stretched their legs, had a tasty snack, taken a pee break, and stepped outside for a smoke if they are smokers, we are definitely ready to sit down and fully engage for the next round of play!

meeple
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerky, bananas, canapés, devilled eggs, raw stuffed jalapeños...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bubble gum
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
or, here is a list of the top twenty games in list of how edible they are. Check your 'owned' games for comparison, and pick up any of the top ranked 'snack' games you haven't got!

games for snacking on the delicious bits, or something
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never thought that food was a part of gaming until my girlfriend mentioned that I was the only person she'd played with who didn't expect to eat while gaming. I'm very OCD about my games and cringe when anyone touches food and then touches the cards. When I'm at someone else's house and there is food, I never eat it at the game table. I may stop, go wash my hands, have a piece of something, wash my hands again, and then sit back down to the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
Avatar
mb
Gambiteer wrote:
jesb wrote:
We usually order pizza halfway through the night and take a break to eat andwash up. IIt's not snacking, but it fills you up and gives us time to talk about stuff like the games or whatever.


A geek after my own heart.... if no one else had said as much, I was going to write that any food is safe, if we take a break away from the game table to enjoy it!

If you have snacks at the table, you will have snaccidents sooner or later, and it's just not worth it, especially when a break from the game is refreshing all on its own, as well as letting everyone fully enjoy a hearty and tasty snack.

After everyone has stretched their legs, had a tasty snack, taken a pee break, and stepped outside for a smoke if they are smokers, we are definitely ready to sit down and fully engage for the next round of play!

meeple


Good idea, and you could even find some snack friendly filler games to play while you're eating, if you want to maximise your gaming time or just keep momentum going. Off the top of my head, something like Zombie Dice that has no card parts to get messy.

Edit: because my shift key is not playing ball today
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.