Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had another "this would be cool, I wonder if this exists" thought today.

Anyone know of any games that have two-sided game boards where the board can flip during the game? (So not like, for example, Small World.)

Actually similarly, what about two-sided cards? So, for one state in the game you use one side of the cards, and for another state in the game you use the other side of the cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is a relatively simple game that uses this. The tiles can either be on the normal, full-color side, or they can be on the wet, gray side. Tiles are flipped from normal to wet the first time the corresponding card is drawn. If a tile is already on its wet side when its card is drawn, the tile and card are both removed from the game. This gradually shrinks the size of the island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Forbidden Island is a relatively simple game that uses this. The tiles can either be on the normal, full-color side, or they can be on the wet, gray side. Tiles are flipped from normal to wet the first time the corresponding card is drawn. If a tile is already on its wet side when its card is drawn, the tile and card are both removed from the game. This gradually shrinks the size of the island.

Oh, sweet! I actually picked up a copy of Forbidden Island cheaply on Black Friday but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Magic Realm pioneered this with hexagonal boards that were flipped when enchanted, providing different paths and color magic. Very much a game ahead of its time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics uses two sided game board pieces that represent the above ground and below ground areas the mice explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
The Stars Are Right?

The "board" is made of two-sided tiles, that you can move or flip during the game.
Very cool mechanism sadly, I played the game only a few times because of the huge downtime...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the wrong cards in Euchre with my family and the whole table may be flipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot

The Holy Grail and a couple of other quest boards can flip during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody was telling me about a game like this they played during their childhood. It was a high fantasy theme, and there were magical lakes or portals in the game that, when you enter them, you fold the board in or out, expanding it and making new areas available. Sounded like a really cool mechanic in an otherwise mediocre game.

Maybe somebody here knows the title?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Somebody was telling me about a game like this they played during their childhood. It was a high fantasy theme, and there were magical lakes or portals in the game that, when you enter them, you fold the board in or out, expanding it and making new areas available. Sounded like a really cool mechanic in an otherwise mediocre game.

Key to the Kingdom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Key Market has farm house tiles (player boards) that can be flipped to upgrade to manor houses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin (Hairy) Hatfield
United Kingdom
Little Kingshill
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings (the Knizia co-op) has double sided boards, that you flip to traverse in sequence. No actual mechanic for the flip, just 4 boards printed across 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
K____ wrote:
The Stars Are Right?

The "board" is made of two-sided tiles, that you can move or flip during the game.
Very cool mechanism sadly, I played the game only a few times because of the huge downtime...

This is game is best with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
fearoffours wrote:
Lord of the Rings (the Knizia co-op) has double sided boards, that you flip to traverse in sequence. No actual mechanic for the flip, just 4 boards printed across 2.

Ditto with his Beowulf: The Movie Board Game. If memory serves that one has two boards that are different shapes, one of which is double-sided; you use a different board in each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
kittenhoarder wrote:

Key to the Kingdom

That's the one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Friday you rotate cards that you've defeated. Not quite "flipping" but certainly a duel use for a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athos
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics
Up Front
Magic the Gathering Innistrad block
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
AutismRecoverySystem.com Methyl B-12 Injection Therapy **It SAVED My Son**
badge
Tending the garden of my soul . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodor
United States
St. Paul
MN
flag msg tools
badge
I'm gonna be the next Canadian Dracula
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens cards are rotated by players to make routes easier.

Mystery Rummy: Jekyll & Hyde has a card that can be flipped by players. Which side is up is a factor in scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The Duke has pieces that flip, which changes how it attacks.

I also recall some game I saw on here yesterday that has tiles which are water on one side, and lily pads on the other, changing what areas you can traverse. Don't recall the name though. :|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Brass: Lancashire and Age of Industry, each player puts down various industries. Once those industries have been used, they are flipped to show that they can no longer be used. The goal of the game in AoI (never played Brass) is to get your counters flipped as each time this happens, you get payment.

Also in Brass, the game changes at one point from the canal stage to the railway stage. I've never played it so I don't know exactly what this means.

In Agricola you flip your rooms to turn them from wood to clay huts

Also in Belfort (if I recall correctly), you flip over some characters to show that they're more powerful versions. I may be thinking of another game, though.

Friday is a good call. You defeat hazards and then flip them over and they become fighting cards in your deck

In Glory to Rome, your cards can mean a million different things. However, one thing that can happen is that you are building buildings and your buildings can be under construction or fully built. This is all done by using cards (ie construction site card, the building itself, and other cards used as materials), though none are two sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.