16 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: When I play: WHO am I? WHO are the other players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fil florian
msg tools
mbmbmb
I read this in a variety of threads. Be it reviews, rule discussions, variant discussions one of the more interesting discussions revolves around WHO the players are in the game? Are we individual heroes? Are we Nick Fury's henchmen coordinating a team of Superheroes? Are we gods? I wonder how much one's interest in the game can be tied to this and I am curious why the creators of the game were vague on this point. Was it to allow the players to just come up with what works for them? Too tight a line on the "WHO" perspective might limit it? Or did they not know or worry about it? It seems in most deck builders you are single agent...a wizard or a lord or general or something. What about this game, though?

One poster bemoans the idea that we are pitting heroes against each other to become more "Legendary" even as we work together to defeat the villain (though having read Marvel for many years, this isn't THAT unusual...).
Others don't like that they aren't playing a single hero, ala other Superhero games.

My favorite idea is that everyone is essentially playing a writer at the House of Ideas living out a Bullpen session of who was going to get to control a particular storyline at Marvel. The Editor in Chief said this month we are doing Dr. Doom going after the Cosmic Cube. Make it work. And as a players turn comes up, one might say "Oh, so you think Captain American and Deadpool would team up to defeat Doombots like that?" Then one would then say, "Well, I think Hulk and Cap would do it better THIS way..." and so on as the story moves forward. The end result is that as a group you hash out the storyline but in the end, only one player gets the byline...IF they worked out in such a way to defeat the bad guy at the end.

I don't know. SHIELD manipulators or something may work out as well or maybe it doesn't matter but it is one of those few games where the perspective is potentially an important aspect of the game that isn't really answered.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think of myself as Agent Coulson, bringing the team together to save the world. I love the game, even though in 1-3 player modes(only way I have played it so far) it seems really easy.

My biggest problem in this game is how quickly the theme can be lost if you let it be lost because you are wrapped up in the mechanics. I quickly forget that I am bringing out Iron Man, I am just bringing out a card that allows me to do something to help my cause no matter who it is. It suffers from the Lords of Waterdeep effect for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I figured I was S.H.I.E.L.D. Commander in Chief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Vacabck wrote:
I like to think of myself as Agent Coulsen, bringing the team together to save the world.

I'm sure that's not spelled right, but +1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Vacabck wrote:
I like to think of myself as Agent Coulsen, bringing the team together to save the world.

I'm sure that's not spelled right, but +1.

Doh! O instead of an E!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure if it was Coulson, Colson, or Colsen. But I thought it didn't look right. Just busting your chops, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's abstract theme. Stuff happening in in the Marvel universe. It's fun, and that's all I care about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think each player is taking a turn to play as the team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way I found to marry the game with it's chosen theme(and I will state I believe the theme is pasted on in its presented form) is to consider each player to be some higher up in shield, some shadowy middle manager with something to prove. You are each trying to out do each other and prove yourself the best/most worthy/deserving of the Christmas bonus. Your deck is your influence over people through loyalty/threats/bribery/manipulation. You will not coordinate in any specific way with your fellows because you want it known each victory was specifically your doing for brownie points. You all lose if the world is wrecked, but beyond that you care nothing of individual 'costs' along the way as you climb the ranks. You are not heroes, or even good guys, you are simply powerful and power hungry masterminds yourselves.

It isn't cheery, but it works really well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also thought of myself as someone higher up in S.H.I.E.L.D. recruiting agents and heroes to go after different threats in the city. And the other players are as well - we can all have access to the same pool of heroes, and we're just sending them on different missions which results in them teaming up in different ways.

I think that this is shattered a little by the competition side of it, well, I guess unless maybe you're fighting for promotion? But I've also been playing it as 100% cooperative. We have counted victory points at the end but it's usually a complete afterthought and we aren't actively trying to get more than the other players, it's just a side effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group so far has played the game fairly competitively. It has made for some really fun games as sometimes our own agenda (to get the most vp's) gets us off track and then we have to come together and get the city back in order. We've had a lot of laughs and fun.

We've been able to win all our games so far. Playing to be the "Legendary" player takes some emphasis off the fact that sometimes it's really easy to beat the Mastermind no matter what he throws at you. When a villain does escape it's lost vp's and perhaps one more step towards not having a chance to win at all. I like that aspect of the game.

I've had moments where I almost wonder... "pasted on theme?" but in the end I'm always having way to much fun sending Spider Man,in Cap and Wolverine out to beat up on baddies to care.

I like to imagine myself as Proffessor X when I'm playing using my powers to send out my band of Superheroes to save the day! Although I'm sure he'll be in an expansion and shatter my illusion. Oh well! Back to the fun!

Note: We've not used any variations to make the game more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have a session report sitting in the queue about how we lost the game badly once, haha.

I've found the discussion here and there of playing coop versus competitive (or a combination) to be really interesting, maybe I'll start a new thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the idea that you're writers in the Marvel bullpen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think of myself as any one person. I am simply "fate", invisibly manipulating the actions and outcomes of the heroes and villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cappello
United States
Pasadena
MD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I am the Watcher. I watch (and subtly guide) as a team of heroes tries to protect the Marvel Universe from whatever foes try it harm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael A

California
msg tools
Shadrach wrote:
One way I found to marry the game with it's chosen theme(and I will state I believe the theme is pasted on in its presented form) is to consider each player to be some higher up in shield, some shadowy middle manager with something to prove. You are each trying to out do each other and prove yourself the best/most worthy/deserving of the Christmas bonus. Your deck is your influence over people through loyalty/threats/bribery/manipulation. You will not coordinate in any specific way with your fellows because you want it known each victory was specifically your doing for brownie points. You all lose if the world is wrecked, but beyond that you care nothing of individual 'costs' along the way as you climb the ranks. You are not heroes, or even good guys, you are simply powerful and power hungry masterminds yourselves.

It isn't cheery, but it works really well

What he said. +++++1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.