United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings!

This thread is to be used for discussion relating to the December 2012 UK Maths Trade.

See also December 2012 UK Maths Trade Wantlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone interested in xbox 360 games? We are currently doing a clearout and i have 15 or so to sell/trade away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
Anyone interested in xbox 360 games? We are currently doing a clearout and i have 15 or so to sell/trade away...

Could be. But I don't know much about the games so short descriptions of them would help. Genre, rating, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Gothnak wrote:

Could be. But I don't know much about the games so short descriptions of them would help. Genre, rating, etc.

Well, this list is going to work tomorrow, so a few might disappear:

Viking: Battle For Asgard
Army Of Two
Fallout 3: Game Of The Year
The Force Unleashed
Devil May Cry 4
Oblivion: Game Of The Year
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas
Colin McRae's Dirt 2
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe
Left 4 Dead
Dead Island
Bioshock
Borderlands
Rock Band
Aliens Vs Predator
Clive Barker's Jericho Special Edition
Guitar Hero World Tour
Guitar Hero 3, Legends Of Rock
Far Cry 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone who would be prepared to walk a complete noob as far as maths trades are concerned through the process. I find it all a bit daunting, especially with mention of jumping through hoops to avoid getting the same game more than once, etc.

FWIW, I am trying to reduce the size of my collection. I guess I am not unique in that. I am thus probably most interested in trying to swap a few games that never get played for one bigger game that might, thus reducing the size of the collection whilst also getting things in that might get played. How do I set about specifying things to enable that to happen (matched wants allowing)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to do that would be to group all the games together into one offer.

Pick one game to be the "headliner", which would be the game that you add to the geeklist.

Then within that game's entry add the other games as sweeteners by using the [ G A M E I D = *** ] tag. You can also add images using the [ I M A G E I D = *** ] tag. You should end up with something that looks a bit like item 17 on the current geeklist. Item for Geeklist "December 2012 UK Maths Trade"

When it comes to submitting your wants list, the sweeteners will appear on the OLWLG main list, but only the headliner will appear on your Offers list due to space restrictions.

If you only have one entry in the list, then there is no danger of you getting a duplicate so you can want two different entries of the same game, and be sure that you will only get one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Is there anyone who would be prepared to walk a complete noob as far as maths trades are concerned through the process. I find it all a bit daunting, especially with mention of jumping through hoops to avoid getting the same game more than once, etc.

Have you watched the video and read the geeklist?:
Math Trade Video Tutorials
A 'Math Trade'? WTF is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done my first postings of items that include +altname+ -altname- can somebody please check that they are OK - I don't want to cause problems for craw-daddy at Trademaximiser time or for people using the OLWLG. The two posts are:

Flash Point - 2nd Story
Flash Point - Urban Structures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, no, that doesn't really quite work. The main idea of using the "altname" tags is for something that is instead of a game entry on the main geeklist. For example, there's some listings of computer games or cash. That's when people typically use the "Outside the Scope of BGG" 'game entry' for the geeklist item, and then use an altname tag so that some description shows up in the OLWLG.

What you're doing is you're having a game item (e.g. one of the Flashpoint expansions) as the geeklist item and then adding a sweetener on top of that. So you don't want to be using the altname tags here. (What you're doing won't cause a problem in the OLWLG, it's just not overly helpful.)

You can leave the entries the way they are (without causing any problems), or can remove the Miscellaneous Game Accessory link (and the altname tags) from the entries and just leave the description there and a picture to the figures.

Hope this is making some sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craw-daddy wrote:
Hmmm, no, that doesn't really quite work. The main idea of using the "altname" tags is for something that is instead of a game entry on the main geeklist. For example, there's some listings of computer games or cash. That's when people typically use the "Outside the Scope of BGG" 'game entry' for the geeklist item, and then use an altname tag so that some description shows up in the OLWLG.

What you're doing is you're having a game item (e.g. one of the Flashpoint expansions) as the geeklist item and then adding a sweetener on top of that. So you don't want to be using the altname tags here. (What you're doing won't cause a problem in the OLWLG, it's just not overly helpful.)

You can leave the entries the way they are (without causing any problems), or can remove the Miscellaneous Game Accessory link (and the altname tags) from the entries and just leave the description there and a picture to the figures.

Hope this is making some sense.
Thanks dude, I'll scrub the altname stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance that the MT header item could contain a quote of the BGG Marketplace guidelines for game condition? I'm seeing quite a number of non-standard or obviously inaccurate categorisations. If we're supposed to put a condition against our trades then there's little point if there's no standardization: I might just as well mark all my games as "Excellent" for all the information that contains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:

FWIW, I am trying to reduce the size of my collection. I guess I am not unique in that. I am thus probably most interested in trying to swap a few games that never get played for one bigger game that might, thus reducing the size of the collection whilst also getting things in that might get played. How do I set about specifying things to enable that to happen (matched wants allowing)?
Just accept cash offers for the smaller games when it comes to the OLWLG. Then you can spend the money on a bigger, new game! I guarantee that you'll get cash offers for all of them; some folk out there just tick every box in their OLWLG step 4 "just to see" (or I assume that's what they are doing). This will result in people trying to trade a single card promo for your £40 game and other preposterous situations. But this doesn't matter, because the beauty of a Math Trade is that it is irrelevant what somebody offers for your game, it's what you offer your game against that counts. So if you only want to part with your treasure for £20 then that's what'll go for - if it goes at all. Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wantlist submission is now active.

Please remember that you will receive a geekmail when you have successfully submitted via the OLWLG. No geekmail means you haven't submitted your lists. Also, if you edit your wantlists after you submit them, then you'll need to re-submit them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnit, I only saw this geeklist today and I wanted to put items up cry

There is a European Trades Subscription Geeklist that I subscribe to that gets the Euro Math Trade, but I cant find one for the UK MT. Is that because there isn't one, or do my search skills fail me?

With only 5 days between announce and close it is pretty easy to miss otherwise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a thread here to which I make announcements about the UK trades.
UK ONLY maths trade - Subscribe here!

I also make them to the general math trade announcement list.
Math Trade Announcements Thread

I'll note that the UK trade is aimed precisely at those in the UK. There has been much discussion on previous trades regarding non-UK participants, and many people object to sending items to those outside of the UK, due to hassles getting postage paid to cover shipping costs and so forth.

I'm not going to specifically "forbid" people from participating, but don't be surprised if there are serious objections raised to participation by a non-UK resident. (I mention this as your flag suggests that you're located in the US.) Many people specifically state that they will only send to UK addresses. If someone outside of the UK were to participate without asking people if they are willing to ship to them (arranging to cover the postage costs where appropriate), then I would ban that person from future trades (and be pretty %$@%$@&^# annoyed with that person).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
craw-daddy wrote:

I'll note that the UK trade is aimed precisely at those in the UK. There has been much discussion on previous trades regarding non-UK participants, and many people object to sending items to those outside of the UK, due to hassles getting postage paid to cover shipping costs and so forth.

I'm not going to specifically "forbid" people from participating, but don't be surprised if there are serious objections raised to participation by a non-UK resident. (I mention this as your flag suggests that you're located in the US.) Many people specifically state that they will only send to UK addresses. If someone outside of the UK were to participate without asking people if they are willing to ship to them (arranging to cover the postage costs where appropriate), then I would ban that person from future trades (and be pretty %$@%$@&^# annoyed with that person).
Dunno where DainHarper is physically located, but it looks like he's using an Army Post Office address so nobody should be incurring additional costs. I believe that we had this discussion with DainHarper in a previous UK MT and that his address hasn't caused a problem to anyone. (I'm sure that we would have heard if it had )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chaney
United Kingdom
Dry Drayton
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
craw-daddy wrote:

Dunno where DainHarper is physically located, but it looks like he's using an Army Post Office address so nobody should be incurring additional costs. I believe that we had this discussion with DainHarper in a previous UK MT and that his address hasn't caused a problem to anyone. (I'm sure that we would have heard if it had )

Indeed, I live in the UK and my wife works on a US airbase; I have therefore got shipping addresses in two countries and funnily enough that isn't something that the BGG user/account page has support for

Thanks for the UK MT link, duly subscribed. See y'all again in February, hope this one goes well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the "programming" logic behind the OLWLG's handling of comments on GL item? Does it show only the most recent comment and when it flags the item as having an unanswered comment does it just check to see whether the last comment is from the Item Owner?

I ask because there's an item on the GL that the Item Owner had to comment on after the GL was locked by craw-daddy I want to know whether it's best to have the Item Owner comment or for somebody else to do so - so that it gets best visibility in the OLWLG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good choices this time round, 6 of my Secret Santa want list are up for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Charlton
United Kingdom
East Barnet
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
www.finchleygamesclub.org
mbmbmbmbmb
jethro wrote:
Really good choices this time round, 6 of my Secret Santa want list are up for trade.

So no doubt you'll end up winning whatever Santa has already bought you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike West
United Kingdom
GUILDFORD
SURREY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew, that was an epic list to go through to find my wants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:
This is my first one. How big are they normally?

Are they always quite so full with "the Works" cheap games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gothnak wrote:

You obviously didn't do the last European MathTrade - compared to that, it felt short!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnuvverScotinExile wrote:
Recently, yes. I'd love to go back through the history stuff (visible on OLWLG) and see what proportion of them actually trade. Not many, I'll bet. Though I suspect that a few people got caught out the first time they entered the channel. But there again there must be many people who don't leave near a "The Works", so maybe it's not all bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
AnuvverScotinExile wrote:
Recently, yes. I'd love to go back through the history stuff (visible on OLWLG) and see what proportion of them actually trade. Not many, I'll bet. Though I suspect that a few people got caught out the first time they entered the channel. But there again there must be many people who don't leave near a "The Works", so maybe it's not all bad.

Also a lot of the games are actually pretty decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.