4 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Concussion Missiles v. Cluster Missiles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
Both of these cost 4 points to use, so my question is which one do you prefer and why?

Cluster Missiles are shorter range (1-2) while Concussion Missiles can't be used in close (range 2-3).

Cluster Missiles get a 3 dice attack twice, meaning, I am given to understand, you get two 3 Dice attacks in a row, meaning your target rolls defense dice for both attacks (effectively doubling his defense as well.) While the Concussion Missile gets 4 attack dice with the option of changing one blank to a hit, making it so one of the dice is at a 75% chance of dealing some sort of damage instead of the usual 50% (provided, of course, it isn't evaded).

So what do you like these different upgrades for? Where does one shine and the other is lackluster? Which is better against Imperial squads? Rebel squads? Dogfights? Missions?

Thoughts?

--Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Concussion missiles are a Hail Mary pass you throw as early as possible. If the dice run your way, you stand a good chance of dealing hull damage to a Rebel fighter or killing a TIE outright.

The major downside of concussion missiles is that they only work at long range, giving you an additional incentive to use them early. A smart opponent will probably have some sort of defensive buff to hand out. Even Focus on an X-wing means you're unlikely to do more than strip shields; against a TIE with the Evade action, you can't count on doing more than one point.

Cluster missiles don't pack the same punch concussion missiles do, but you can hold on to them for a moment when your opponent isn't ready to dodge--or you can attack anyway, and let the first attack strip away their defenses.

Personally, I prefer concussion missiles, but the two choices are fairly balanced. Cluster missiles have a slight advantage if you're firing at a conservative, defensive opponent, and concussion missiles work better against aggressive opponents who don't try to save their pilots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I like Concussion Missles because of the long range aspect. It's nice to get a good shot in before you start getting to range 1. But if I'm using Maarek Stele, it's fun to use Cluster Missles with Marksmenship.

Here is another thread where this was discussed in depth: Cluster Missiles vs Concussion Missiles: Which is better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, Concussion Missiles have a higher expected damage output against all Agility Targets (even against Agility 1 targets like Y-Wings and the Falcon), in large part because it converts one failure (a blank) into an automatic hit. It also couples better with Focus, as you could only Focus on one of the Cluster Missile attacks. If the target has a Focus or Evade token, then Cluster Missiles might win out because the target can only use it one of the attacks (but I'm not sure of the numbers).

Cluster Missiles couple better with Marksmanship, but then you're looking at a 7-point upgrade vs. a 4-point upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.