Subject: POLL: Do you enjoy arguments? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Generally speaking, would you say you enjoy a good argument?
No, I dislike arguing.
Sometimes I do, if I'm the right mood.
I enjoy a hearty debate, but not an argument.
Yes, but only against people who also enjoy argument/debate.
Yes, as long as it's not too heated or personal.
Yes, and I even enjoy it when they become loud and passionate.
Yes, but only if I'm winning.
      157 answers
Poll created by D Beau

I realize that several of these choices might suit you equally well, and if that's the case, please just choose one of them at random; it doesn't even matter which. For all intents and purposes, I consider all but the first option to be definitive yesses, but I wanted to give some leeway for those who are too argumentative to admit that they're argumentative.

[And now I sit back and prepare for people to argue that "yesses" is not the correct plural of "yes."]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't choose it, but I like that you included the "yes, but only if I'm winning" option. Seems like if we're honest, most of us are close to that one. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I'd like an argument.

I think I'll start with one 5 minute argument for 1 pound and see how it goes from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the "discussion, not argument" lot there. I realize that's pretty subjective, but that's where I would like to at least feel I stand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not a fan of arguing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
I'm in the "discussion, not argument" lot there. I realize that's pretty subjective, but that's where I would like to at least feel I stand.

I prefer to see it that way myself, but oftentimes my discussion is the other person's argument (something I'm not always quick to recognize).

The reason I posed the question is because I was thinking (based on something said in another thread) about the nature of confrontation. It occurred to me that, based on our choice of hobby, boardgamers might derive an abnormally high level of enjoyment from intellect-based confrontation. The results so far seem to be somewhat abnormal (a comfortable majority enjoy arguing), but it's hard to know for sure without doing a control group poll in a Very Normal Place - and I don't even know where that is!

raptors wrote:
not a fan of arguing

Yes you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you considering argumentation to be a game? That's rather sophistic of you.

I like to argue, but with caveats that are not among the ones you list. I will only argue with someone I am unlikely to persuade if there's a potentially receptive audience. I generally give people the credit to assume they are amenable to reason unless they prove otherwise by their own words. Arguing with someone who repeats previously refuted claims, blatantly puts words in my mouth (not just by misunderstanding) or says things that can't be parsed is pointless drudgery. Don't judge a book by its cover, but don't cast your pearls before swine.

Arguing against some people can be very like playing a boardgame against an opponent who wilfully violates the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge fan when the participants are taking a dialectic approach, or when one of the participants (sometimes me) is clearly and insanely wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
I went with the discussion, not argument, option as well, but if possible I'd rather just avoid it. All too often people see it as some kind of confrontation where they're not allowed to back down once they've stated their case, and will stubbornly cling to it even after it's been proven wrong with a logical, well-reasoned counter argument (often even after the person who has made the better case has done the decent thing and tried to drop the subject). The key to a constructive rather than a destructive argument is knowing when to call it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussion is about determining what is right. Argument is about who is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
Discussion is about determining what is right. Argument is about who is right.

No, it isn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy arguments when I'm the one spectating them, not participating (I'm sadistic that way), but do enjoy discussions about various board gaming topics (sleeves, publishers, costs, strategies, genres, etc.), and others too (insurance, traffic, sci-fi, culture,etc.)

That, and arguing is also a type of game and it's amusing to see who gets the most victory points there, or in what order people get eliminated meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.