Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played this game a half dozen or so times in the past few days, I started to write a review, and found that I was referring frequently back to one particular session we played. So I thought it would be worth writing up the details of that, first. Spoiler: Cap was useless, Black Widow was inefficient, and Loki chewed us up and spit us out.

This was a three player game with myself, K, and C. Something you should know about K is that she likes to roleplay, and often makes game decisions based on thematic rather than strategic reasons. Have you seen the episode of Tabletop where they played Last Night on Earth and Felicia Day keeps one of her zombies in the hospital for the entire game rather than sending him out to kill things because killing things isn't in character for him? That is pretty much how K approaches games. (I realize that this would drive a lot of you completely insane, so let me note here that I find her a lot of fun to play with, and it doesn't bother me because I'm not hyper-competitive either. If I had to choose between winning a game or being more entertained along the way I'd take the entertainment.)

This was the second game we played, after first doing the recommended beginner's setup, which we found... not challenging. So this next time we mostly just picked characters that we liked to see how they worked. (We hadn't played or studied it enough to have any sort of idea what characters might have synergy.) So our setup was:

Heroes: Gambit, Emma Frost, Captain America, Black Widow, and Thor
Mastermind: Loki
Villain Groups: Enemies of Asgard and The Brotherhood
Henchmen: Ninjas
Scheme: Start a hero civil war

First of all, Loki is the hardest mastermind, with an attack value of 10. And having played through nearly all of the scenarios now, I think that the hero civil war is the most challenging so far as well: In this one, every time a scheme card comes up all of the heroes in the HQ are KOed, and the mastermind wins when the hero deck is depleted.

We made two inadvertent strategic errors early on:
* We were buying a whole lot of low-cost heroes, which began to deplete the hero deck quickly by itself. (I was largely guilty of this as I am a fan of going-through-your-deck cards and snapped up a bunch of 2-cost Gambits.)
* Not being familiar with the Hero decks yet, we didn't realize how rare the Black Widow card is that gives you attack power based on how many Bystanders you have in your victory pile. As a result, I ended up with that card, but C ended up most of the Black Widow cards that give you Bystanders. This split her powers in a really inefficient way, and I was using what should have been a very powerful card to do maybe 2 damage for most of the game.

And the other problem relates to the underlying issue of this not being a roleplaying game. So another thing you should know about K is that she really, really likes Captain America. She also hates Emma Frost. So she was building her deck by snapping up Caps where she could and would also avoid Emmas even if it was the most useful card. Of course, the problem with Cap is that a major part of his usefulness depends on how many heroes of different colors you play - and if you're building a deck of mostly Caps, then there's not a lot of different colors.

Now, to be fair, the game is designed so that there is some synergy between teams. For example, I found that Gambit and Emma Frost work very well together because he lets you look at the top card of your deck, and she lets you draw cards. (I found out later as well that Iron Man and Black Widow are also a fantastic team because of card drawing.)

However, choosing which heroes to recruit based on who is the most awesome is probably not the best strategy in this game. Let's just say that the deck-o-Caps ended up being kind of useless. We were able to muster up the 10 attack points to hit Loki ONCE during the entire game (this was me, once I finally had some bystanders in my deck near the very end). Meanwhile, our hero deck started getting smaller and smaller. Eventually we realized that we literally could not buy anymore heroes or the game would be over. But then a scheme card came our way... and it was. Hero deck depleted, Loki barely nicked, evil wins the day.

IF we had beaten the mastermind then C would have "won" by a mile due to having so many bystanders in his victory pile (which proved useless to him during the game since I had the card that would have turned them into attack points...).

I will likely say more about some of these elements at more length in a review, but I thought this was an interesting example of strategy (and lack of strategy) gone wrong. This was also the only game we've lost to the mastermind so far. Curse you, Loki!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie Tsang
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for your session report! I find it really interesting and I am the kind of person who would take entertainment over competition too
A good laugh trumps everything!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Dwyer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report! I think you've described the main difference between Sentinels of the Multiverse and Legendary, and how each game will appeal to different individuals depending on preferences. If one wants a more thematic experience, where it is simply the heroes versus the villain, and you get to be the one hero of your choice, you'll prefer SotM - you get to play one prefab deck, and it is straight co-op.

If you want more competitive play, and a more mechanism-based game with increased within-deck strategy and choice, you'll prefer Legendary. I really like both games, but for these different reasons, and getting a feel for what the group is in the mood for will likely be important in choosing which game to play (or purchase, if someone's looking for just one hero-based game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This split her powers in a really inefficient way, and I was using what should have been a very powerful card to do maybe 2 damage for most of the game.

Bad for you, but probably better than letting an opponent have a powerful card.

If the plot ends based on the hero decks running out, is it a problem that a losing player could simply buy through the hero decks in order to end the game in a loss for all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
This split her powers in a really inefficient way, and I was using what should have been a very powerful card to do maybe 2 damage for most of the game.

Bad for you, but probably better than letting an opponent have a powerful card.

If the plot ends based on the hero decks running out, is it a problem that a losing player could simply buy through the hero decks in order to end the game in a loss for all?

re: better than letting my opponent have it - not in this case, since we all lost. Plus we've been playing the game pretty much 100% cooperatively.

And yup, I guess you could indeed do that! Though again, would kind of suck because everyone would lose. I've been looking at the game as everyone wins or everyone loses, but if everyone wins there's a MVP. Not being the MVP but still winning is preferable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Plus we've been playing the game pretty much 100% cooperatively.

Ah, that would change things, wouldn't it?

Quote:
And yup, I guess you could indeed do that! Though again, would kind of suck because everyone would lose.

Well...in a competitive game, if you're behind on points, you lose. If the Mastermind wins, you lose - but so does everyone else.
Do you think it would be easy enough to "force" a loss that it would be problematic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmadgirl wrote:
If I had to choose between winning a game or being more entertained along the way I'd take the entertainment.

A woman after my own heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.