Hide
11 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you influence an unoccupied hex just by having a ship present? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flo Man
msg tools
Just got the game and am loving it. One question we ran into while playing was based on the rule on page 21. It says
"If at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there."

The question we had was, "If no combat occurred, is there still an 'end of combat' phase, to which you can influence an unoccupied hex simply by having a ship present?"

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider having experienced combat due to another player's ship, which did not currently have an influence disc in the hex.

To be sure that's not confusing: don't assume the combat occurred in a hex that was already "owned" by another player (i.e. no influence disc). Combat could have occurred with two fleets meeting in a hex where neither held influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Man
msg tools
But what if no combat occurred at all. Simply having a ship sit in a un-influenced hex. Would they be able to influence it after the combat phase even if no combat occurred?

It seems unlikely to all of us, but just want to make sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if there was no combat, there's still a combat phase and you can influence an empty hex if it contains one of your ships at the end of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Man
msg tools
I like this.
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's me see if i get it.

Previously the hex was owned by some player that has to give up the control of that hex, then the next round you move your ships there, he does too. After the combat phase between him and you, you win the combat, you may place influence disc to control it.

If you arrive there withour combat, you can't place influence disc. You must spend influence action to do so.

If at the end of combat, there's any influence disc on the hex, you must make a combat against populations cubes respecting the combat rules, if you don't have neutron bomb technology. After success, you may place influence disc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bigmore
England
Abingdon
Oxon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything except this:
BGFreakDag2PT wrote:
If you arrive there withour combat, you can't place influence disc. You must spend influence action to do so.

You have to use the Influence action to do this during the Action Phase. But at the end of the Combat Phase, you may also place an influence disc on any hex that contains just your ship(s), even if you didn't have to fight there. (See page 21 of the rule book.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If in the combat phase you have a ship that is in a hex that is:
A) Not occupied
or
B) Occupied by an opponent's influence disc, but no has no planets populated
or
C) Occupied by an opponent's influence disc, with planets populated and your ship has Neutron bombs
or
D) Occupied by an opponent's influence disc, with planets populated that are destroyed during the combat phase

Then in all of these cases, after the combat phase is over you have the ability to take over that hex should you have an influence disc available and would like to take it over.

You do not have to use an influence action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
TGCRequiem wrote:
If in the combat phase you have a ship that is in a hex that is:
A) Not occupied
or
B) Occupied by an opponent's influence disc, but no has no planets populated
or
C) Occupied by an opponent's influence disc, with planets populated and your ship has Neutron bombs
or
D) Occupied by an opponent's influence disc, with planets populated that are destroyed during the combat phase

Then in all of these cases, after the combat phase is over you have the ability to take over that hex should you have an influence disc available and would like to take it over.

You do not have to use an influence action.

But here's the wrinkle: What if, in all those situations, there are no other ships in the hex? Does the combat phase still happen, or do we skip that whole phase because there is no one to battle?

It's an interesting concept that I never even thought of when playing my first game yesterday... it could certainly save a valuable action if I don't need to take the "Influence" action to drop an influence disk before I collect my income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how that is not situation A. Yes, the combat phase still occurs. You can place the disk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
I don't understand how that is not situation A. Yes, the combat phase still occurs. You can place the disk.

That's the key confusion, thanks for clarifying! I think different games handle that situation differently, which creates the confusion. The flowchart could look like:
"Step 1, If no opponents are in the same hex as you, skip combat and go directly to upkeep"
OR, as you said, the correct way for Eclipse:
"Step 1, begin combat phase. Step 2, if no opponents are on the same hex as you, proceed to the "victory" steps of combat phase and use all rules that apply."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.