Subject: To stack or not to stack tanks ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm soloing the 1st scenario a second time to learn advanced AP fire.

As in my previous game, I find myself more often than not stacking and handling units in stacks of 3 tanks, maybe influenced by other games like FF. Besides the clutter of aux. markers, do you think it is generally a bad idea ?

Greetings
Rafael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Disperse as much as your command radius allows. If one brews up, the rest of the stack is Suppressed. When fighting poor grade troops or radioless vehicles, their overwatch shots could be restricted to a single target and their non-overwatch fire orders might only be able to hit a single hex. Also, the 'vehicle must fire at closest armed vehicle' optional rule can let you use a lower value targe as lead bait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the 'vehicle must fire at closest armed vehicle' optional rule can let you use a lower value targe as lead bait.

And has the potential to be very gamey. It's pretty hard to recruit folks to be 'bait' too...

If an opponent leads with a half track or some other 'chum' to exploit this rule, I would not allow it at my table.

Think about why the vehicle is lower value to begin with. And that vehicle is going to lead the attack to draw fire?

Come on, not likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bait = Pz IIIF vs Pz IIIG or non-command vs CHQ. Recon by fire(d on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
Bait = Pz IIIF vs Pz IIIG or non-command vs CHQ. Recon by fire(d on).

Ok, I'll buy that.

You just have to sell the crew on their value as 'scouts' and the honor in leading the attack, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Yan
United States
La Mirada
California
flag msg tools
If I have to stack it will be in a hex with good terrain and lines of fire.

However, as Brent noted above, Brew Ups cause Suppression, so stacking is to be avoided when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Brent lists various reasons to spread out, but spreading out also has a definite weakness. It makes it much more feasible for a moving enemy to pick firing locations that see some of your force but "mask" the others, giving him a "many on few" firefight the following turn.

You have to balance the two risks. Sometimes a platoon "fist" will indeed be preferable to a spread of tanks one per hex, and will readily defeat the spread tanks. It depends on what opportunities for "differential LOS" the terrain provides...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I really don't like that "shoot nearest" optional rule - it does not lead to greater realism, but to light armor recon by death as "Panzer Bush Two, the Sequel" on the one hand, or one Tiger tank in front that cannot be penetrated, drawing all fire and bouncing it like Captain America's shield.

There is a reason that rule is optional. Leave it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hogan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonC wrote:

I really don't like that "shoot nearest" optional rule - it does not lead to greater realism[...]
There is a reason that rule is optional. Leave it out.

I agree with you entirely, Jason.
The realistic rule is to engage the target that represents the greatest threat to the firer first. If all targets are of the same type, then the closest is the generally the greatest threat. However, if the firer is a tank, an enemy tank at just about any distance is a greater threat than a halftrack and would/should be engaged first.

That not only makes intuitive sense to me - it is also what "they" thought us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.