Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player is dealt 2 suspects, 2 locations, and 2 crime case cards at the beginning of the round. The tiles are then laid out.

From their cards, they now choose 1 of each and discard (face down of course) the others.

This does away with (or at least lowers) the possibility that all three end up really close together followed by a lucky investigation which essentially breaks the game entirely.

It also gives each player a bit more information about their own case, as well as gives them some amount of strategic decision making as far as which cards to choose for the other player's investigation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biscuits409 wrote:
Each player is dealt 2 suspects, 2 locations, and 2 crime case cards at the beginning of the round. The tiles are then laid out.

From their cards, they now choose 1 of each and discard (face down of course) the others.

This does away with (or at least lowers) the possibility that all three end up really close together followed by a lucky investigation which essentially breaks the game entirely.

It also gives each player a bit more information about their own case, as well as gives them some amount of strategic decision making as far as which cards to choose for the other player's investigation.

Interesting. If I decide to play this again - which I quite possibly might not ever do- I may try this. Did you think about how the extra information might affect the balance of the game at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dond80 wrote:
biscuits409 wrote:

Interesting. If I decide to play this again - which I quite possibly might not ever do- I may try this. Did you think about how the extra information might affect the balance of the game at all?

You could always take turns getting cases, shuffling the discarded cards in with the others before handing them to the next person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it may affect the "balance" a bit, it will surely help any balance for the better. I understand what you are saying about having more information, but I think that the benefit of using the variant outweighs the negative by a landslide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this variant last night. Worked very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heilman
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
Yup, this is the way to play, no doubt about it... Have the first player for the round draw and pick cards first and reshuffle the decks between each player's draw, so the small extra information boost that the last player get changes each round and balances out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is especially problematic if 2 or even 3 aspects of a case are on the same spot. I love the idea if chosing the aspects of your opponent`s cards.

But I really dislike the fact that one player gets additional information.
Also this would add a memory aspect to the game. And I just appreciate this game not depending on memory.

And playing 3 mini games with 2 players there is no way to balance it out.

What we (2 players) do is this: Both players look at their cards. If any player has two cards responding to the same place, both players put their cards back and get new cards. If necessary we repeat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Vedder
Germany
Emmerich am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we (2 players) decided to play it this way:

First player choses from 2 of each aspects, then shuffles the discarded ones into the deck. Player 2 nos takes 2 of each. After choosing her cards, player 2 reveals the other 3 cards. We mark them on the board with the 3 round black tokens. Hence, no additional information for a single player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
biscuits409 wrote:

Good idea. Fearing this would give too much information, I thought the same but only on one criterion. You look at your cards, ask for a second card for Crime, Location or Suspect and keep one of them.
I'll try your version though.

A few more thoughts:
- A player get 1VP less for each disk of his colour on the board (not on an Investigator token), with a minimum of 0VP.
- When only one player hasn't solved his case at the end of a turn, he continues playing, but his potential score decreases every turn if he still hasn't solved the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.