Claus E. L. M.
Denmark
Randers SØ
Vestdjurs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody!

I'm strongly considering getting this, but I'm a bit worried about the fiddleness? Fiddlety? Whatever.

How many pieces have to be moved or manipulated every round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyfo wrote:
Hello everybody!

I'm strongly considering getting this, but I'm a bit worried about the fiddleness? Fiddlety? Whatever.

How many pieces have to be moved or manipulated every round?

Zero have to be manipulated every round (which is the whole point of the wheel), but there is still fiddliness every time someone picks up resources as well as when those resources are converted. If you've played Le Havre before, then it is very similar in terms of the resource conversion and chits used....

Uwe took it to another level with Le Havre: The Inland Port, which uses the wheel AND a tricky tableau to eliminate almost all fiddliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Agricola is way more fiddly. The setup every round can take time, although I don't mind it. When more than 1 person stocks the board, sometimes it gets confusing as to who restocked what.

This is not the case with Ora et Labora. The wheel takes care of all accumulating quantities of goods offers.

The rules of OeL actually recommend having all the goods mixed together at the center of the table. I can't bear the disorganization. For this, I recommend at least a plano box of some sort. I think it decreases fiddliness, helps in setup and breakdown.

For organizing individual player's goods, there are some decent player boards made by users here in the files. One by previous poster mfaulk80.

and I've made one as well.

I will admit that the double sided goods are much more intuitive in Le Havre, which helps in organization and remembering their uses. These goods player boards can help decreas the fiddliness.

Ora et Labora is a fabulous game, though I find it a bit longer than Agricola. Both are great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's significantly less fiddly than Agricola. If you can tolerate the level of upkeep in Agricola, you will definitely be fine with Ora et Labora.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.