badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards, turn 1 deck (Home cards excluded): 63 cards
8 1 CP cards
22 2 CP cards
14 3 CP cards
11 4 CP cards
8 5 CP cards.

Average value of a card =2.825 (3 decimal places).

Not a very useful figure. Of course, in an actual game you will know some of the cards that have been dealt and can adjust appropriately.

More figures later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards, Turn 2 Deck (Home Cards excluded). Assumes no removable events have been played, except Selim II (which is out of the deck one way or another): 68 cards

8 1 Cards
25 2 Cards
15 3 Cards
12 4 Cards
8 5 Cards.

Average card value=2.809 (3dp)

Cards, Turn 3 Deck, same assumptions: 85 cards

10 1 Cards
33 2 Cards
21 3 Cards
12 4 Cards
9 5 cards

Average card value=2.671 (3dp)

Cards, Turn 4 deck, same assumptions: 95 cards

10 1 Cards
35 2 Cards
26 3 Cards
15 4 Cards
9 5 Cards

Average Card value=2.716 (3dp)

Cards Turn 5 deck, same assumptions: 96 cards

10 1 Cards
35 2 Cards
26 3 Cards
16 4 Cards
9 5 Cards

Average card value=2.729 (3dp).

Catholic league formation adds a further 4 CP card to the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Treasure values:

1 5 CP Treasure
5 4 CP Treasures
7 3 CP Treasures
8 2 CP Treasures
5 1 CP Treasures

1 1 VP Treasure, 1 Science Bonus, 2 Draw Cards

Ignoring the 4 special types of treasure, the average value of a Treasure is 2.57.

I.e significantly lower than the value of a Card, in any turn. It is also worth remembering that Treasures have some intrinsic disadavantages: they must be played with cards, you have to discard them at end of turn, and they cannot contain a useful event. But what about those special treasures? Well, the 2 Draw Card treasures are merely worth whatever the average value of cards is that turn- for purposes of comparison with that value we can effectively ignore them.

What if we weight the VP and the Science Bonus Treasures as being worth 5 CPs? Then average Treasure value jumps to 2.75, comparable to a card draw.

But I would still be suspicious of a "Treasure draw for a card draw offer". If your opponent is making this offer he probably doesn't have either the 1 VP treasure or the Science Bonus Treasure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Read
United Kingdom
BATH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
It is also worth remembering that Treasures have some intrinsic disadavantages: they must be played with cards, you have to discard them at end of turn, and they cannot contain a useful event.

Hi Philip,

I accept there are certain disadvantges to Treasures, but you've ommitted their key advantage - that they extend your impulse. Played at the right time they are worth their weight in ... well gold. So I am not sure a simple measure of Value/Card of Treasure vs. Card is massively valuable.

That said an interesting piece of work

Cheers,
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Riskey
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phillip, thank you for compiling and publishing this. I had made the same lists when I received VQ and I found them helpful for making decisions.

James, I agree with your point too. It is still helpful to know average CP value of treasures when deciding on New World piracy, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.