Popular Tags: [View All]
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The quest was 2nd encounter 'Death on the Wing'

Lord Hawthorne took the first turn out of the gate.

he used his Heroic Feat to attack one of the two elementals between him and his objective, Belthir.

The first attack killed an Elemetal, so he spends a fatigue and activates his Advance skill. He moves past the Master Elemental and attacks Belthir.

He then attacks Belthir again using the second attack from his Heroic Feat.

And as if that was not enough (to be fair, it was'nt quite)he attacks Belthir again with his second action of the turn.

Belthir dies. Game over.

It reminded me of the scene in Gladiator where Maximus comes out of the gate and kills his foes so fast it was not even entertaining lol (love that scene)

So, anyway, was this played correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. Some might interpret the skills that way:

You attack elemental with feat and kill him.
You now my move up to 2 spaces then use 2nd attack of the feat.
Then you can move up to another X-2 spaces(where X is your speed) and perform attack from the skill.
Then attack from 2nd action.

So, basically both feat and Advance let you move up to 2/X spaces from the point you where standing at when you initiated first attack.

After thinking about it that probably would be correct interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. The way I would imagine it, he cannot use Advance to interrupt his Heroic Feat. So he would activate his Heroic Feat, kill the first Elemental, then as the second part of his Heroic Feat, move two spaces and attack again. Unless he defeats a monster at this stage, I wouldn't think he'd be allowed to use Advance.

Descent 2nd Edition Rulebook, Page 7, Hero Turn Summary wrote:
Perform Actions: During each hero’s turn, he receives two actions. He may perform these actions in any order he chooses, and he is not required to perform both actions. Unless noted otherwise, an action must be resolved completely before the hero performs his next action.

Emphasis mine. However, this doesn't necessarily forbid it, because Advance is not an Action. The way I've personally been playing is that Heroic Feats cannot be interrupted by anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did he not have to move to get to the first enemy, or did the OL place it so close that he could get to it without using an action whatsoever knowing he had these abilities?

The nearest one should have been placed at least 4 spaces away so he had to move, thus using an action. This would have disallowed at least the last attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
firedale2002 wrote:
Did he not have to move to get to the first enemy, or did the OL place it so close that he could get to it without using an action whatsoever knowing he had these abilities?

The nearest one should have been placed at least 4 spaces away so he had to move, thus using an action. This would have disallowed at least the last attack.

The Overlord was drinking. After Lord Hawthorne's turn, he was choking
on wine shake(and remembering what a cool movie The Gladiator was...)

Edit:
He had 2 large creatures to place, not sure how much room that gave him. Also Lord Hawthorne had the ring of Power. May have helped get in range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just checked, and there was no way to keep them out of range, but the Overlord could have placed the Master in front, may have helped prevent the Advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zilfalon Keratol
Germany
Eching
flag msg tools
badge
youtube.com/zilfalon twitch.tv/zilfalon
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 Elementals you can at least block the path completely first.

Try with 3 Heroes and you only get one Elemental. Oh, how I remember the bloody first turn I never had as Overlord in that Quest. Why did I even bother to build up the board, I wonder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience with that quest. It took more than 1 hero to win it but they were able to do it in the first turn. Even if they hadn't finished it in turn 1 I didn't see any hope for an OL victory.

Can anyone provide any evidence that this quest is winnable for the OL?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:
As an OL, I did manage to win it.
The Elementals were well placed, and the heroes took too much time to cleave a path through their flesh.
We were playing with basic cards - and the quest was played for itself(not in a campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 heroes play, we had 1st turn on 2nd encounter. We had but throws on the dices(really bad ones), so we got only minion elemental down and only 1hp on the lieutenant.

On 2nd turn OL ran with boss, blocked the path with fire elemental and used his two giants to run for the guard towers, each in different direction.

Later on heroes defeated master elemental and raced towards Belthir, while OL attacked guards with giants and lieutenant. Heroes WON in the end, but both guards that stayed alive had 1 hit at most of HP. We barely managed to kill him before our turn ended... And if it did it would be our loss for sure.

Actually we would have lost if OL remembered to use sweep on master giant. But then we had pretty bad rolls when facing elementals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quartersmostly wrote:

Need to win E1, that way the heroes skip their first turn. That's how I won it, when I lost E1, it was over before I got a turn as OL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zilfalon Keratol
Germany
Eching
flag msg tools
badge
youtube.com/zilfalon twitch.tv/zilfalon
mbmbmbmbmb
I think when OL wins E1 it is possible.
Otherwise it has a lot to do with dice luck and the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
quartersmostly wrote:

Need to win E1, that way the heroes skip their first turn. That's how I won it, when I lost E1, it was over before I got a turn as OL.

Good point, if they make it through E1 then they are right on the dragon mans heels I guess.

Without Lord Hawthorne, maybe its not as easy.

Maybe it's the same Hawthorne that made Mice and Mystics and we should all just bow down to him anyway lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm having the opposite problem. The OL cannot win. I can see that with less elementals maybe he could, but with two elementals to block the path in a four-player game it seems, to my group, unwinnable for the heroes. Our OL just sends his open group directly to the guards, murders them, and wins. Even the fastest/best heroes we can manage never seem to be able to clear a path through Elemental bridge AND make it far enough to save the guards from death. The LT? He just flies away as far as he can go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem for OL is the fact that the bridge is 3x3 and entrance is 2x2.

Look at the map:
E is entrance
X is empty space
L is lieutenant
Z is empty space that is tactically important, described below.

XZZ
XZZ
LXX
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX
EE
EE

Because Elementals are 2x2 it's impossible to set up them in a way that will force heroes to defeat both of them. Killing the minion in 4 hero game is really easy... And once that's done heroes have multitude of options:

1) immobilize Belthir
2) stun Belthir
3) kill Belthir
4) move Belthir with crossbow(if they have one) 1 step south, then make a barrier with 3 heroes to make him unable to escape

Also heroes don't even have to kill minion elemental - they can just move him aside with crossbow if they have one :/

It's very possible for 4 heroes to have a way to stun or immobilize, especially if it's not 1st quest in 2nd act. Usually heroes are the ones choosing 1st quest, so they will probably go with fat goblin, and after playing that it's really easy to have one of the ways to inflict statuses. Groups that don't have one probably have ways to dish out a lot of damage in single round.

Even if the hero group manages not to kill Belthir it's quite easy to keep up with him(as he doesn't have too many ways to escape). If heroes know they can't defeat him within first turn it's quite useful to put one of heroes on Z spot, otherwise elemental would be able to block heroes from pursuit of Belthir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our OL also saved almost all of his cards for this encounter and used them like crazy, both times we played. Traps and peril galore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, any elementals that survive NEED to use their Earth ability to Immobilize in an area around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.