California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm using Explorer 9 at home and work. Home has been working flawlessly until today. Work has had this problem for months.

For some reason the thumb display on each page isn't displaying. The box is completely empty. The buttons are there if you hover over the area but you can't see them.

In the profile page, the display used to format the page nicely with the tons of microbadges I have for contests in several rows. But now they are drawing the full width on one line that makes the entire page stretch out super wide.

Both these problems plagued me at work for a very long time but I lived with it since I did more of my BGG surfing at home. Now, just today, these problems have cropped up at home and find them a bit annoying.

Any ideas what causes this so I can fix it on both machines? Normally Explorer 9 is great, it never has formatting problems anywhere. But on this site it now has some issues.

EDIT- The disappearing thumb count problem doesn't happen on geeklist, image, and file pages. But does in normal threads & blogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I'm using Explorer 9 at home and work. Home has been working flawlessly until today. Work has had this problem for months.

For some reason the thumb display on each page isn't displaying. The box is completely empty. The buttons are there if you hover over the area but you can't see them.

In the profile page, the display used to format the page nicely with the tons of microbadges I have for contests in several rows. But now they are drawing the full width on one line that makes the entire page stretch out super wide.

Both these problems plagued me at work for a very long time but I lived with it since I did more of my BGG surfing at home. Now, just today, these problems have cropped up at home and find them a bit annoying.

Any ideas what causes this so I can fix it on both machines? Normally Explorer 9 is great, it never has formatting problems anywhere. But on this site it now has some issues.

EDIT- The disappearing thumb count problem doesn't happen on geeklist, image, and file pages. But does in normal threads & blogs.
Try toggling IE's "compatibility view" setting for BGG. Trouble is, if you get one of the two sets working you will introduce problems in other areas (the menus such as "my Geek" will stop working and the "add play" overlay will screw up). I haven't found a way of tweaking my browser to get BGG to work in the way it is intended to - and it's no better in IE 10.

I'm not going to get into some Open Source/Standards compatibility religious war, but to put it simply; BGG doesn't play nice with one of the three most widely used browsers on the Internet (it's not worth arguing about the actual numbers, again we'd be into RSP territory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
ScottE wrote:

Try toggling IE's "compatibility view" setting for BGG. Trouble is, if you get one of the two sets working you will introduce problems in other areas (the menus such as "my Geek" will stop working and the "add play" overlay will screw up). I haven't found a way of tweaking my browser to get BGG to work in the way it is intended to - and it's no better in IE 10.

I'm not going to get into some Open Source/Standards compatibility religious war, but to put it simply; BGG doesn't play nice with one of the three most widely used browsers on the Internet (it's not worth arguing about the actual numbers, again we'd be into RSP territory).

Thanks! Interestingly enough my home machine started working again as before. Not sure what triggered formatting to "fix" itself or why it broke in the first place. Very weird.

I'll try this on my work machine since its always had these problems.

I agree that you'd think Explorer would work the best since its so widely used. And I appreciate this not getting into a religious war. The whole reason I've stuck with Explorer all these years is it tends to work best on most sites. I'm not sure which browser is best to work on this site but hopefully when they introduce the new website down the road it will fix these issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.