Subject: How many investigator for beginner 1v1 game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game tonight, but I can't find anything in the rulebook about how many investigators should be used. Is there a minimum number? Set up says each player picks AN investigator. Somewhere else it mentions a player may have multiple investigators. And the forum mentioned four being the suggested max.

Can the investigators win with only one or two investigators?
How hard would it be for one player to control four investigators?
Did I miss something in the rulebook?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be hard to keep track of four investigators for a single player, since he can switch the player-turn order every new turn.

Some of the scenarios will be very very difficult to win with only one or two investigators.

How many players do you have?

My games with three or four investigators have ALMOST always been fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest always using three or four investigators. So if it's one player, use three (and when two players, two each).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, have them play 2-3 investigators, by what they can handle. It isn't out of the ordinary to control 4. We found that laying the mini down, when their turn is up, helps for accounting.

Enjoy!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought MoM months ago and have yet to play it. My wife and I have started a 'family board game night' with her parents and brother and Im aching to get MoM on the table. I plan on my wife and I running through it together before we play with the larger group, just so we have some experience with the game and not ruin everyone elses opinion of it by having to look up rules constantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
177ark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
It might be hard to keep track of four investigators for a single player, since he can switch the player-turn order every new turn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the order permanently set for every turn?

To update, the first game went well! I went with the Story 1 and used story plot 1B (where in as keeper I was trying to summon a Shoggoth). Because it was the first time setting up it took me about an hour. A good portion of time was spent figuring out which cards were which and realizing that I wouldn't be using ALL of them.
I gave my friend the chose of playing with 2 to 4 investigators depending on how confident he felt keeping track of all the details. He opted to go with 4: Joe, Harvey, Jenny and Ashcan Pete.
I was planning on going easy on him at first, but quickly had to reconsider that plan as he was exploring the mansion rather quickly. Then I got a little over confident when I got my Shoggoth in play and decided to toy with the investigators instead of going for the easy win. But, by more luck than skill, my friend was able to keep it stunned long enough to take the Win.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

cyalume wrote:
I plan on my wife and I running through it together before we play with the larger group, just so we have some experience with the game and not ruin everyone elses opinion of it by having to look up rules constantly.

Be sure to print a couple of these out they were invaluable!
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65198/universal-head-mansi...

And watching a couple of rounds by "Lets Play" really helped me get the feel of "role playing" this game by reading the details on the cards. I can't really express how much fun I had ad-libbing some of the descriptions.
http://boardgamegeek.com/video/8825/mansions-of-madness/lear...

Last piece of advice, make sure you have plenty of space to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
No, investigators decide turn order every round. Can be pretty important, and why we lay down the mini, for accounting.

I actually had this rule wrong for the longest time, but the order does change, every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.