Subject: Evasion vs Counter Attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

We ran into this issue in Scenario IV in the Campaign. The Judge was attacking a Spartan Unit, and the Spartan wanted to counter-attack.
So the question is whether the Unit with Evasion can evade a counter-attack in addition to an enemy initiated attack?

The Evasion Ability says it can be used when they are the target of a CC attack from a ground unit.

Thinking it about it from a practical standpoint, I don't think that they should be able to avoid it, and from a game balance issue, I think Evasion can be very strong as is.

But, I would like to know the official ruling.

Thanks,
KAM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Lapenna
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a great question. After making some research, i can say this.

In the rulebook, it says for evasion :

Evasion: This Talent can be used when the Unit is the target of a CC Attack from a ground Unit. The attack is considered to have never taken place. The Maneuver card of the attacker is still discarded, however. The use of this Talent must be announced right after the declaration of the Attack and before the attacker declares the use of Talents. This Talent can be used multiple times per turn.

However, when you counterstrike, the counterstrike happens at the step 4 of an attack which is right after "before the attacker declares the use of Talents."

And, page 9, you can find :

The player who announces an Attack on an enemy Unit is called the attacker, the player whose Unit is attacked is called the defender.

Announcing a counterstrike still makes you the defender.

Finally,

Evasion: This Talent can be used when the Unit is the target of a CC Attack.

So, if i'm correct, you can't use evasion if you are the target of a counterstrike.

I know, my english isn't great. But i hope i made my point and in any ways tried to help you with this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit VOGT
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi,

Mathieu is absolutely correct.

Evasion cannot be used by an attacking unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Mathieu: Your English is very good. Thank you for the references.

Benoit: Thank you for the confirmation.

This is the way we played it, and I think this makes the most sense.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Lapenna
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad i could help. This game has elegant mechanics and i think it deserves more attention from the community.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Mathieu,

SantosPapaya wrote:
Glad i could help. This game has elegant mechanics and i think it deserves more attention from the community.

Cheers.

I agree. This relatively simple game really is "elegant" as you say. I'm surprised there isn't a bigger response from this community, but I'm hoping it will grow. I am eagerly awaiting additional material for this game.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
KAM1138 wrote:
Hello Mathieu,

SantosPapaya wrote:

Cheers.

I agree. This relatively simple game really is "elegant" as you say. I'm surprised there isn't a bigger response from this community, but I'm hoping it will grow. I am eagerly awaiting additional material for this game.

KAM

I 100% agree BUT let's not forget that MB is not an "easy game", more a "core" one. thus we need to advertise it even more since it could be to anyone's taste IF we "teach" it to people on the fence (especially "bridge" or "casual plus" gamers).

Apart from that it became an instant classic for my wife (but, now, she's become quite hardcore too, I must admit XD)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:

I 100% agree BUT let's not forget that MB is not an "easy game", more a "core" one. thus we need to advertise it even more since it could be to anyone's taste IF we "teach" it to people on the fence (especially "bridge" or "casual plus" gamers).

Apart from that it became an instant classic for my wife (but, now, she's become quite hardcore too, I must admit XD)

Yes, it is not a simplistic game, or a "light" game, but it is fairly easy to learn, and not some arcane overly-complex sort of game.

For my part, I'm talking up this game to friends, and hoping more people will come on board.

This being a "core" game as you say, is one of the reasons I'm eager for an expansion, which I know is already in process.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
KAM1138 wrote:
brunogaia wrote:

Yes, it is not a simplistic game, or a "light" game, but it is fairly easy to learn, and not some arcane overly-complex sort of game.

For my part, I'm talking up this game to friends, and hoping more people will come on board.

This being a "core" game as you say, is one of the reasons I'm eager for an expansion, which I know is already in process.

KAM

We sure are all salivating when thinking of this first expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.