Subject: The Matriarch: Too Scary for a Kid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Tabrisky
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
My 9-year-old son and I love playing Sentinels, including the Infernal Relics expansion (though we don't do Gloomweaver or Tombs of Anubis). We would like to take on a tough villain like The Matriarch but were wondering whether any of her cards are not appropriate--either in image or text--for a 9-year-old. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why you picked the Matriarch as she's 'just' a girl who can command birds, but this question (in general, not specifically her) was just discussed on the >G forum!

http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/forum/topic/minimum-age-...

EDIT: There is an example of the artwork for a particular villain called Spite in that thread, one who I would view as the most age-inappropriate villain... and even then I'm not sure it's scary if given proper context to a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would avoid Spite because of the serial killer portrayal - especially with the kids depicted.

I don't see anything wrong with the matriarch. Unless Hitchcock's Birds gives you nightmares....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Matriarch will give you squeamishness because you have likely seen the movie The Birds at some point. Your kid will not have that experience yet.

The artwork is dark, bit is mainly of crows/ravens. You can explain that 'murder' is a grouping noun for some birds.

The main horror of the deck compared to others is the sheer quantity of villain cards that can appear each and every turn...and the Matriarch punishes for each and every bird that falls. You may want to avoid heroes with a majority of area effect attacks as the reciprocal damage will be immense unless precisely targeted and prepared for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:

The artwork is dark, bit is mainly of crows/ravens. You can explain that 'murder' is a grouping noun for some birds.

And a good chance to learn all the other grouping nouns represented!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the matriarch. Unless Hitchcock's Birds gives you nightmares....

My brother has an acute fear of birds, and I'm looking forward to playing against The Matriarch with him - it could be good therapy.

I certainly don't think that The Matriarch would scare a 9 year old though, but why not look through the deck yourself, and then perhaps do the same with your child before you start playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.