Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kingsley
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody have an opinion on the best match-up in a two-player game? Fed v Klingons? Fed v Romulans? Klingons v Romulans?

Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
gunslinger81 wrote:
Anybody have an opinion on the best match-up in a two-player game? Fed v Klingons? Fed v Romulans? Klingons v Romulans?

Why?

My guess, having only played four Fed vs. Klingon games and a 3-faction game thus far, is that Klingon vs. Romulan would be a little less fun because both sides would be playing shell games with cloak and echo counters, and the Klingons won't be as successful with sensor checks to de-cloak Romulans.

Fed vs. Klingon is fun, partly because there isn't an excessive amount of cloaking.

Romulan vs. Fed is similar to Klingon vs. Fed because there wouldn't be as much cloaking, but it would be better balanced because of the Federation's better sensors.

That said, if one were the cloak-and-dagger type, maybe one would like an all-cloaking, all-the-time match up.

Personally, I don't like games where a player or faction can gain lots of points with you as the opponent having little or no chance of preventing them from doing so, and a Klingon-Romulan game strikes me as potentially being two sides sneaking around without much direct contact, scoring points on each other with little opposition.

Unfortunately, in the three-faction game that I played, the Federation got off to an early lead because of a variety of factors, which lead to the Romulans and Klingons mostly not fighting with each other and concentrating on the Federation instead.

Certainly a Klingon-Romulan match up might be interesting, but I think it would have a greater chance of not being as "punchy" as a Fed/Klingon or Fed/Romulan match would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Snow
msg tools
Fed vs. Klingon, Fed vs. Romulan, and 3 way matches are all great. The wildcard is Klingon vs. Romulan.

I think this might come down to the Klingon fleet draw and changing the strategy for how they are played. Considering that most ships will need to combine sensor tests to decloak a Romulan vessel, many combat missions become substantially harder for the Klingons to complete. The forward pushing aggression and disruption tactics I like to use against the Feds really doesn't work when most if not all of your enemy's fleet is cloaked.

Influence missions on the other hard are doable. By spending actions putting down control, building, and working towards influence VPs rather than trying to setup push into attack positions, I think it will force the Romulans to move into Klingon space in order to complete some of their espionage missions.

I'm just speculating here. I'll have to play more Klingon vs. Romulan games to really get a feel for it, but I think they will turn out good as long as the Klingon player takes a different approach and isn't stuck with mainly combat missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Gauthier
United States
Monticello
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I think the Klingons are the hardest to play, although Combat Happy Joes like Tom Vassal seem to like them the best! This seems to be born out by their lower scores in the games I've played out so far, but its still very early to tell. Geosphere (the play tester) suggested elsewhere that we try that new mission killing tactic, but nobody seems to have explored it yet. I think it may make more of a difference than we realize. I'd guess that it requires a more patient and subtle play style, but any race can use it.

My own favorite games so far have been Romulan vs Federation. I feel that both sides are more flexible, and a bit less luck dependent, than the Klingons. But since Wiz Kids likes to "evolve" their rules over time more than most other companies, anything can happen in the future to change things!

I've been playing a lot of Klingons. One of my favorite tactics with any race includes mission cycling to the max--and with their Conditional missions, its usually Influence missions that I choose when I get the chance. As a Klingon, I basically attack anyone who gets too far ahead of me, because otherwise I feel I won't be able to quickly catch up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.